Author Topic: Merge Tactics  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
Re: Merge Tactics
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
OK, for the flat turn merge people, listen up.  All things being equal (plane, speed, pilot skill, etc.) the fastest merge turn is...    vertical!

The second slowest is the flat turn.   :t  Since there are only 3 directions available, it's also the best after the vertical.  The very slowest is the downward turn. 

The primary reason for this is simply gravity.  Without going into all the additional setup and related info in detail, essentially going vertical is faster because you use gravity to reduce your airspeed to the proper Corner Velocity for your aircraft and, using throttle control properly pull your nose through the apex of the turn quicker, regaining airspeed as needed as you come back down.  Your actual turn radius is very short, and you turn quicker getting your nose around the 180 dgrees, and with E to regain your airspeed quickly.

In a flat turn, gravity remains as a constant drag stealing your E, and eventually reduce your airspeed.  And what E you lose in the turn you do not immediately regain.

Now some people might think that a downward turn (usually in the form of a Split S) would be the fastest because initially gravity would be helping to increase your airspeed.  However, too much speed is bad as it causes a wider turn radius even if you shut throttle first, plus you are now lower than when you went into the merge.

This is why in most dueling merges you see 90% of the pilots going vertical.  Now, that is not to say that there might not be a specific tactical situation where a different turn was better, like the other guy makes a real dumb move that only a flat turn will put you into position quicker, but by and large, the vertical turn is the fastest and best.  Master it!

One of the things a pilot should be aware of is that, though it has its uses, airspeed (meaning high airspeed for your aircraft) is your enemy.  It's only good for getting to or from a fight quickly.  Having the right airspeed is more important.

In conjunction first, another very important concept to learn is Cornering Velocity which is simply the correct or optimum speed for a particular aircraft to turn (thinking initially a flat 180) allowing it to do it in the quickest time which is a result of the right turn radius at the right speed.  You should learn the Cornering Velocity for any aircraft you dogfight in.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
OK, for the flat turn merge people, listen up.  All things being equal (plane, speed, pilot skill, etc.) the fastest merge turn is...    vertical!

Depending on the situation, I'll give the other guy the vertical. Nothing is more boring that two guys dueling, both trying to get beneath the other guy on the merge and Immeling until one of them either stalls out or makes his Immel too wide.

If you can keep your speed up and pull just 2 Gs in a flat turn, you can maintain your speed and reset the fight by being under the other guy with more overall energy. It depends on how hard he pulls on that Immelman, however.

Even if the other guy is real gentle on his Immel, putting yourself in a bad spot to mix things up is worth it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:21:35 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
If you are playing your part properly you will not be merging head on, evar. 

That is to say: If you are merging head on then you have already contributed 50% of your all to losing the fight. 

In other words: Typically I will have enough steam going on to blow quite through the unwanted HO merge with a complimentary jiggle to throw off the inevitable HO shot and I will just keep on going until I can find some sucker that will let me cruise up his tail pipe and give him a  blast of lead love.  Wait....that didn't sound quite right :P
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 12:39:12 PM »
Depending on the situation, I'll give the other guy the vertical. Nothing is more boring that two guys dueling, both trying to get beneath the other guy on the merge and Immeling until one of them either stalls out or makes his Immel too wide.

Don't forget purposely going head on because you know it is a duel and the other guy won't shoot.  I still enjoy it though.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 01:50:29 PM »
Don't forget purposely going head on because you know it is a duel and the other guy won't shoot.  I still enjoy it though.

bout time you joined the convo....

the ONLY time that is the case rock solid is in a Duel with someone you know, hell even then you are not guaranteed to not get a HO, that is why I hate the fly by wingtip to wingtip.

I think the duels in DA should prepare you for MA, and we both know in MA HO is gonna happen a lot more then the honorable duel, and If someone learns to merge properly they dont ever have to worry about the HO.

If ya get two guys that do Merge without going straight at each other the fight is usually awesome and much more enjoyable then the typical fight.