Author Topic: Question about radar dots  (Read 1229 times)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Question about radar dots
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:59:10 PM »
If i am close to a base that has radar up, but i am also in the adjacent bases radar ring with radar up.

Which base will display my radar dot, the closest one, farthest one, both?
Strokes

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: Question about radar dots
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »
I think you might be putting too much thought into it, as though there are actual radar sets modeled at the fields, actually combining information. But I believe it's simply a binary decision based upon your positioning on the map display, your distance from an active radar source.

As far as I know, in dar ring, dot shows.  Doesn't matter how many active dar rings your in, or where they "originate", your dot shows. 

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:25:37 AM »
Both
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
rather than starting a new thread, i'd like to expand on that question a little.

the other night, i was chatting on 200, while on auto climb. i was in enemy territory, so in between typing, i did a scan for enemies.

here's the kicker. there was no enemy bardar in the sector i was in. by this time, i'm in a shallow climb, approaching 13k. on my next scan(still no enemy bardar), i look up, and here's a spit5 and an i16 bearing down on me from about my 11 high. immediatly after that, the bardar pops up. i mentioned that on range later, and someone else said they'd experienced the same thing.

is this some sort of bug, change, or an issue in my computer?

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »
If you were at the edge or in the corner of a sector I can see this scenario happen easy enough.

They were just over the sector border from you, higher than you, saw you (radar dot or actual plane off in the distance) and you were SA deficient. Bang. Hello tower.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »
If you were at the edge or in the corner of a sector I can see this scenario happen easy enough.

They were just over the sector border from you, higher than you, saw you (radar dot or actual plane off in the distance) and you were SA deficient. Bang. Hello tower.

well..i was definitly deficient on my sa there. but i was about half way to their base, well within their radar ring, and well within the sector.

thankfully, they didn't put me in the tower.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:53:28 PM »
Something definately not right I think. I got bounced well within a sector and no NME DarBar. Just the one con that engaged me but it made me check around all evening after that DarBar or not!

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 08:40:17 AM »
I have had several sessions where my squaddies was seeing a bar-dar that I was not seeing.  It started when the radar ranges were reset to the new settings, might be a bug might not, I don't have a clue.

HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
Concur with Dmdchief...this has been an ongoing issue from the day that the new 20 rings and new NOE rules were put in place.

It is an extremely common phenomenon Cap...we haven’t been able to find any correlation to situation to date.

-Rodent57
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »
Worst case I've seen was entering an NME sector.  Just as I was entering a small BARDAR popped up which was about right for two NME aircraft already engaged by friendlies.  There were no BARDARs in adjacent sectors.  30 seconds later I ran smack into about 12 NME fighters at 8k and the BARDAR jumped to full.  Based on geometry there was no way this group either 1) had just entered the sector, or 2) took off and climbed to 8k in the length of time it took my 262 to traverse 1/4 of the sector.  Definently something wrong since the radar changes.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »
I've seen it where there have been numerous friendly planes around me, showing up as dots on radar, but the dar bar shows nothing.

mir
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 03:37:41 PM »
rather than starting a new thread, i'd like to expand on that question a little.

the other night, i was chatting on 200, while on auto climb. i was in enemy territory, so in between typing, i did a scan for enemies.

here's the kicker. there was no enemy bardar in the sector i was in. by this time, i'm in a shallow climb, approaching 13k. on my next scan(still no enemy bardar), i look up, and here's a spit5 and an i16 bearing down on me from about my 11 high. immediatly after that, the bardar pops up. i mentioned that on range later, and someone else said they'd experienced the same thing.

is this some sort of bug, change, or an issue in my computer?

You can be in a sector with no apparent enemy sector counter if the enemy is beyond "Sector Counter Range" of the nearest field radar tower...and it makes no difference whether the tower radar is disabled or not...and it makes no difference whether that tower radar is friendly or enemy to the bandit...and it makes no difference if the field tower is in that sector or a neighbor grid square...

The way the game is set up it provides for many blind spots and opportunity for false assumption concerning whether or not an enemy is in the same grid square as yourself...

To further complicate and layer the issue, "Sector Counter Altitude" comes into play...and when they set it to 65 feet it seems to have some serious issues with AGL/ASL and the way they are dovetailing it with terrain altitude data...

When the CM's played around with dot and sector altitudes in the Red Storm scenario they had all sorts of anomalies pop up...suffice to say dot and sector altitude arena settings have a few issues...

The bottom line is that you basically need to keep scanning and looking to the six o'clock and never assume the grid is clear...and always scan the map for those sector counters that appear then disappear...especially if your flying bombers on a climb out over enemy territory...

Constant vigilance six is not only required, its mandatory to ensure survival...

Out

Oneway

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:53:45 PM by oneway »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
again....i was half way to the enemy base. i was approx. 12 to 13k alt, on auto climb.

when i'm typing, i keep my map open. there was no enemy bardar in the sector. i did my scan, and saw the spit, and i-16 approx. 2.5k at my 11 high....they were about 15k to 16k. there is no way they just got into that sector.

rodent.....how ya been sir?? i'm glad it's not just me. i thought i was losing my mind.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »
it is messed up  I had a field flashing the other day no dar bar,

went low looking for GV'ers and came across 4 cons inbound at 8k,  they must have been above dar for a long time so it is either delayed like some scenario setups are or fubared on some maps.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »
it is messed up  I had a field flashing the other day no dar bar,

went low looking for GV'ers and came across 4 cons inbound at 8k,  they must have been above dar for a long time so it is either delayed like some scenario setups are or fubared on some maps.

as much as i hate to say this....i'm glad others are experiencing this too. at least i know it's not me, my machine, or my connection.

i would imagine that they(htc) are working on this, along with the sound problems.....or should something like this be posted somewhere else to bring it to their attention?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"