Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 82578 times)

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
Re: Fishing
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 05:18:57 AM »
By the way, I'm going to start trying Walleye fishing. Does anyone know a good combo I can buy for them? I have heard great things about medium action rods with 6lb test but those are just rumors.

not a bad choice,walleyes run out of E real fast and are very picky of any resistance they feel when they start nibbling.
  so you dont want any heavy gear

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 05:22:53 AM »
Sorry but Shad gut's is the best catfish bait there is and if it's a yellow cat you need bream or I use goldfish .
I've found that around here Shad works really well in the spring but the catfish tend to not bite as well on it later on in the year.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 06:24:07 AM »
Yeah , I have used shad all over the state's and it kind of funny how they work at differnt places . Say you can go down in Mississippi and use the gut's with the ball and they bite like mad but then you go up into Tennesee the cat's up there will not bite the gut's if it still has that hard ball in it . Some of you TRUE fisherman will know what I am talking about .
If I am going to fish for small cat's , I use Doc's bait on a tight line . I mostly fish for Crappie now .Full time job .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 07:39:01 AM »
Yeah , I have used shad all over the state's and it kind of funny how they work at differnt places . Say you can go down in Mississippi and use the gut's with the ball and they bite like mad but then you go up into Tennesee the cat's up there will not bite the gut's if it still has that hard ball in it . Some of you TRUE fisherman will know what I am talking about .
If I am going to fish for small cat's , I use Doc's bait on a tight line . I mostly fish for Crappie now .Full time job .

:pray , amen and  :cheers:
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 09:29:44 AM »
My uncle has a lake in Missouri where the Crappie bite real well on a Beetle Spin or maybe a worm. But here in Iowa we have a lake that the Crappie won't really bite on anything but minnows  :lol It took me a while to figure out how to catch them up here on a consistant basis.

I have a added respect for the pros that can go from region to region and catch fish. It's not as easy as it looks or sounds sometimes.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 11:13:57 AM »
UpTown , try running Bandit Crankbait's for crappie . I started trolling for them about 4 year's ago and let me tell ya that is the way to catch some nice crappie. I pull them behind the boat at 1.8 mph . The 300 series bandit's run about 10 to 15 feet deep . Mostly all I use is the 300 series crank's. Seem's to work the best .

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
My uncle has a lake in Missouri where the Crappie bite real well on a Beetle Spin or maybe a worm. But here in Iowa we have a lake that the Crappie won't really bite on anything but minnows  :lol It took me a while to figure out how to catch them up here on a consistant basis.

I have a added respect for the pros that can go from region to region and catch fish. It's not as easy as it looks or sounds sometimes.

It's all got to do with the season, Beetle spins will workj in the spring and fall when the crappie are much more aggressive. Minnows work well any time of the year. It's got to do with cover, depth, and a multitude of other things. Try a Beetle Spin in the Spring and I guarantee you it will catch crappie.
Although I prefer minnows to catch crappie, something that also works and works very well for an artificial bait is called a Crappie Thunder.

I prefer a blue and white body with a white roadrunner jig head and a golden willow blade.  :aok

Also, using a loop knot gives a more natural presentation.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
Hmmm... Sad, not as big of a turnout as I had hoped. C'mon people! If you have a question or a story PLEASE post it.
Landing is overrated.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 03:39:41 PM »
not a bad choice,walleyes run out of E real fast and are very picky of any resistance they feel when they start nibbling.
  so you dont want any heavy gear

How do you catch Walleye the best? With a worm harness? Carolina rig or Lindy Rig?
Landing is overrated.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 06:54:55 PM »
 :rofl he said they run out of E fast  :rofl now that's a true flight sim dweeb  :rock
Lighten up Francis

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »
How do you catch Walleye the best? With a worm harness? Carolina rig or Lindy Rig?

a nice big crawler,with a harness bouncing along the bottom or close to it
  a Erie Dearie with a crawler works good too
   the reason for the harness is because walleye tend to nibble their way up from behind as they follow it,so you have to be patient.
   troll speed is cruicial with walleye,usually the slower the better

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 12:51:57 AM »
What type of rig set-up? Lindy, Carolina or something? What do you use with the harness to make it more effective?
And when do you know when to set the hook(s)?
Please and thank you  :D :cheers:

What type of blade should I use?
I was thinking the always classic golden willow or silver Indiana. But I've seen some painted blades and I was curious.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_42750_100008002_100000000_100008000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Just curious. I think I'm done editing the post now  :aok
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:59:40 AM by fbWldcat »
Landing is overrated.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »
It's all got to do with the season, Beetle spins will workj in the spring and fall when the crappie are much more aggressive. Minnows work well any time of the year. It's got to do with cover, depth, and a multitude of other things. Try a Beetle Spin in the Spring and I guarantee you it will catch crappie.
Although I prefer minnows to catch crappie, something that also works and works very well for an artificial bait is called a Crappie Thunder.
(Image removed from quote.)
I prefer a blue and white body with a white roadrunner jig head and a golden willow blade.  :aok

Also, using a loop knot gives a more natural presentation.
You are right about the season's . I have been fishing crappie tournament's for the last 3 year's and you got about a month down here in Mississippi to catch them on jig's during the spawn . I have a trick about fishing with them but can not tell . I came in 9th place last year out of 180 people . You use those crankbait's like I was talking about and you will have your limit in a few hour's . One has to remember that my gradfather owned a bait shop and I grew up in that store with him and leared to fish by him .. I know all the trick's here to catching fish . I will be in the top 3 this year . With a little help from father above .

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 12:16:17 PM »
I can understand not wanting to pass on secrets given to you by your elders. My grandfather used to be the most amazing fisherman I ever knew. Catching at least 125 fish every weekend. No joke. Sauger, Walleye, cats, bass, crappie, you name it, he caught it. I don't have many of his secrets but the ones I do have yield amazing results. I understand completely.
 :salute
 :cheers:
Landing is overrated.

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »
I have a small lake down my street I used to fish in a lot. It's actually connected to a larger lake that's about 6 inches deep and probably has a large carp every 10 square feet, but the two lakes are separated by a beaver dam. The small lake where I fish use to be swarming with bass and catfish, and they were all easy to catch since no one but me ever fished there. I caught quite a few 15-18 inch bass using Beno lures. In the past I always saw the occasional common carp swim by and they didn't seem to be causing any harm. The last two years though the place has been swarming with carp and I haven't been able to catch any nice sized bass or catfish in there. I also noticed that a lot of the underwater vegetation seems to be gone. I've been doing some bowfishing lately to get some of the carp out of there. I don't have any fancy bowfishing equipment so I just use my 80 pound compound with a broadhead on it, then I have to walk in the lake to get the carp. I was just wondering though, how many carp could I take out of there without getting rid of the whole population? I've only been bowfishing in the smaller lake, not the larger lake(which has thousands of carp in it but is separated by a beaver dam). If I took out all the carp in the smaller lake could the carp from the larger lake find their way across the beaver dam to resupply the population?