Author Topic: dx tweak  (Read 1287 times)

Offline df54

• Copper Member
dx tweak
« on: July 17, 2010, 09:39:40 PM »

does anyone know where i can find the original version of dxtweak. its a utility to adjust sensitivity of a controller. there are newer versions available for windows 32 or 64 bit but they dont work for some unknown
reason on my system(xp home). any help would be appreciated 

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
Re: dx tweak
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:55:44 AM »
========================================================
LIMITATIONS
========================================================

DXTweak only works correctly under Windows 98, Windows
98SE,  and Windows Me. DXTweak will run under Windows2K
and WindowsXP however, the deadzone setting will not
persist. Microsoft has acknowledged that there is no
recognized way of setting a persistant deadzone for
Windows 2K and Windows XP. We are trying to get a fix
for this in the next version of DirectX.

Quote from the readme text..

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:59:13 AM »

does anyone know where i can find the original version of dxtweak. its a utility to adjust sensitivity of a controller. there are newer versions available for windows 32 or 64 bit but they dont work for some unknown
reason on my system(xp home). any help would be appreciated 

You need to look up "scaling" and "dead bands". Lots of posted stuff on both.

Scaling is how you can fine tune the sensitivity in game, even if your stick sucks.

First set the dead band.

Then the scaling. The secret is the scaling...look up some posts on this.

Offline df54

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 04:08:32 PM »

trying to break in new x52. adjusting dead band and sliders doesnt help still bouncy and oversensitive. have used dxtweak in the past and it worked really well.  however newer versions wont work.  i keep getting error message
as soon as i try to launch . dx tweak is available at a web site called gadgets if anyone wants to try it out   

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »
DF,

select the axis you want to adjust in map controls,check the advanced box and a window will open.

If you check enable scalling you can then adjust the sensitivity of that axis with the sliders.

Theres deadpan and dampening also available to you,if you search the forum you can find settings posted that others use.
 This should allow you to make just about any type of adjustments to your stick,I suggest you start with the "pitch"& Yaw axises{axii}.These can be done while on the fly so you can test the effects they're having.

:salute

Offline df54

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »

thanks guys ive tried that and still to sensitive . will try to contact microsoft and find out why dxtweak wont
   launch.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »

thanks guys ive tried that and still to sensitive . will try to contact microsoft and find out why dxtweak wont
   launch.

post a picture of your elevator setup...

these guy might be able to tell you which to tweak to help smooth out your controls. HTC setting are very good.

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
Did you calibrate in windows or whatever calibration tool you use for your controller first,
and then calibrate in AH ?...IMO the AH scaling,deadband.damping controls are far superior
than DxTweak...

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »
Did you calibrate in windows or whatever calibration tool you use for your controller first,
and then calibrate in AH ?...IMO the AH scaling,deadband.damping controls are far superior
than DxTweak...

Agreed!

I wonder if it's a case of the one using the controller as opposed to the controller itself.

If your still finding it too sensitive,add in some dampening to all the axises{axii}

It would help if you posted pix like Fugi said and maybe you could describe what is too sensitive.

Are you experiencing nose bounce? are you using the X52 twist as rudder or pedals?

If you post pix and describe whats going on we may be able to help,or you could look up one of the trainers in the training arena and it might help more if someone walks you through some of the adjustments.

Hope this helps!

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
Also..you may want to consider getting a GOOD powered USB hub for your X52.
there is some posts about the X52 being a power hog. Do a search on "X52"
It wasn't to long ago I seen it, just don't know where it was posted...

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »
The two biggest problems I've found with X52s are :

A) they are power hogs - Fix : Use a powered USB hub, not a port directly on the computer.
B) That cable that goes between the throttle and stick needs to be connected VERY WELL. Any loseness in that cable at either end results in all sorts of crazy problems. Fix - Try flipping ends, as 1 end sometimes fits better in the other device. I've also gone so far as to very gently bend the soft metal collar a hair just to hold it into the port better, and that fix has been holding solid for at least 6 months now.

Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline df54

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »

once again thanks for your help. I am not a noob. been flying sims for about 6 years and have tried everything
  that has been suggested but still too sensitive for my flying style. others may think that my settings are just
  right but i like a  "heavy" stick. dx tweak or ch software gives me the "heavy" stick that i prefer. cant find   
 anything in sst hardware that will do this.   

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
 DF,

I'm not sure what you mean by "heavy" but if it's the spring tension that is an issue you could try a shim or 2 under the spring.

I've found that the foam divider that you get with a pack of burnable CD's works great,I cut a slit in it with a knife and slip it between the spring and handle on the X52. I'm working on a steel washer to slip under the spring,between the spring and spring perch to tighen the spring even more.

As for the SST software,I dont use it as AH allows me to do most anything I need,though there are a couple of buttons that you can only configure with the SST.

Offline lefty2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 05:39:42 AM »
I have it how do you want me to send it?

Offline df54

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 08:20:39 AM »

how do i post an image