Author Topic: Intermediate amouts of fuel  (Read 2243 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Intermediate amouts of fuel
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 07:32:02 PM »
You should be required to take 100% no matter what.

You could get fogged in.

:noid

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »

You could get fogged in.

:noid

wrongway

What?

Some aircraft can't even carry all their ord with full tanks (realistically).
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »

You could get fogged in.

My guess, this is closest to reality.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
My guess, this is closest to reality.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!!

:aok

Actually, I like thins the way they are and think, "I'd like 34 gallons in the left wing tank and 42 gallons in the right wing tank" is rather obsessive and silly.

:bolt:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »
Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!!

:aok

Actually, I like thins the way they are and think, "I'd like 34 gallons in the left wing tank and 42 gallons in the right wing tank" is rather obsessive and silly.

:bolt:

wrongway

Obviously you never flown a real plane. (no offense)

That is exactly what you do. You would not want your wings tanks to be different but forward and rear full tanks you would. Also most aircraft can not carry all the ord we have available + 100% fuel, they would simply be to heavy. And when your going on a short flight you would not full your plane up to 100% because it would climb better and handle better with less fuel.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:10:07 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 12:58:39 AM »
It would be kind of cool to have the ability to really plan out your flight before hand and do the math for how much fuel you would need.

However, I can understand how that is more of a flight simulator thing rather than a combat simulator thing, the game just isn't designed around that style of play.  I've got FSX for that.  :aok

:rofl Quoted for truth. Some people just never ceases to amuse me with their crazy wishes.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »

That is exactly what you do. You would not want your wings tanks to be different but forward and rear full tanks you would. Also most aircraft can not carry all the ord we have available + 100% fuel, they would simply be to heavy. And when your going on a short flight you would not full your plane up to 100% because it would climb better and handle better with less fuel.

Obviously you have never flown real combat.

Show me one instance of a military combat flight where less than 100% fuel was taken.  Not a test hop or a ferry flight.

I understand the "real plane" argument where you know where you're going and take enough fuel to get there and a reserve for emergencies.

I'm probably wrong, but I don't think combat flights are that simple.

Any military pilots about?  Take off with less than 100% fuel?  If so, why?

I am not arguing for 100% fuel by the way.  I fail to see the point of 32%.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 01:38:38 PM »

You're wrong on several points. Other than short range ferry flights out of harms way, combat aircraft carry as much fuel as the plane will hold, including drop tanks if needed. Few combat missions were "short range" and even then the only aircraft that didn't carry 100% fuel were the ones that hadn't been fueled since the last sortie, and the pilot who took off in a plane with less than full tanks was calculating his chances of returning to base from the second he got off the ground and sweating every minute in the air.

The aircraft capable of carrying ordnance in real life could carry the ordnance packages available in AH with 100% fuel.

Research, it pays.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 01:58:23 PM »
okay, lets start with this. Do you understand that airplanes have a weight limit? They can not carry as much ordnance/cargo if they have 100% fuel, they will be overweight and to heavy to take off.

2nd, If your going on a two hour patrol mission would you really take eight hours of fuel? So you aircraft will be heavy and unresponsive. You would probably take enough fuel for 4 or 5 hours but not 8 (if 8 is 100%). 

You see my point?
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
okay, lets start with this. Do you understand that airplanes have a weight limit? They can not carry as much ordnance/cargo if they have 100% fuel, they will be overweight and to heavy to take off.

2nd, If your going on a two hour patrol mission would you really take eight hours of fuel? So you aircraft will be heavy and unresponsive. You would probably take enough fuel for 4 or 5 hours but not 8 (if 8 is 100%). 

You see my point?
You need to quit playing video games and go talk to some real life pilots.

Fact:
The weight limits are calculated with 100% fuel.

Absolute fact:
SOP is/was to take 100% fuel because the pilot never knowingly took a chance on running out of fuel in a fight or trying to get back to base.

You can continue to try using cartoonville logic or you can go educate yourself.
jarhed  

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »
You need to quit playing video games and go talk to some real life pilots.

I am a Pilot.

Fact:
The weight limits are calculated with 100% fuel.

Wrong, weight limits are calculated with the amount of weight your airframe can carry. Fuel is "cargo" witch has weight that needs to be calculated.

Absolute fact:
SOP is/was to take 100% fuel because the pilot never knowingly took a chance on running out of fuel in a fight or trying to get back to base.

That depends on the aircraft.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 03:17:39 PM »
I am a Pilot.
Obviously not a combat pilot or you would know this stuff better than I do.

Wrong, weight limits are calculated with the amount of weight your airframe can carry. Fuel is "cargo" witch has weight that needs to be calculated.
Read again, "empty weight" is zero fuel..."maximum take off weight" is calculated with full fuel.

Example, P-51D:

Specifications (P-51D):
        Engine: One 1,695-hp Packard Merlin V-1650-7 piston V-12 engine
        Weight: Empty 7,125 lbs., Max Takeoff 12,100 lbs.
        Wing Span: 37ft. 0.5in.
        Length: 32ft. 9.5in.
        Height: 13ft. 8in.
        Performance:
            Maximum Speed: 437 mph
            Ceiling: 41,900 ft.
            Range: 1300 miles
       Armament: Six 12.7-mm (0.5 inch) wing-mounted machine guns, plus up to two 1,000-lb bombs or six 127-mm (5 inch) rockets.

Example 2 - B17G:

Specifications (B-17G):
        Engines: Four 1,200-hp Wright R-1820-97 Cyclone turbocharged radial piston engines
        Weight: Empty 36,135 lbs., Max Takeoff 65,500 lbs.
        Wing Span: 103ft. 9in.
        Length: 74ft. 4in.
        Height: 19ft. 1in.
        Performance:
            Maximum Speed at 25,000 ft: 287 mph
            Cruising Speed: 182 mph
            Ceiling: 35,800 ft.
            Range: 2,000 miles with 6,000 lb. bomb load
        Armament:
            13 12.7-mm (0.5-inch) machine guns
            Up to 17,600 pounds of bombs

If you honestly believe the max take off weight is exceeded with full fuel tanks plus maximum ordnance packages, you need to give up your pilots license.

That depends on the aircraft.
We are talking about combat aircraft so it applies to all combat aircraft on a combat mission and all observer/scout aircraft flying a combat mission.
jarhed  

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »
I think DT's should be not allowed until %100 fuel is taken.  There was a reason combat aircraft in WWII did NOT take off without %100 fuel.  Taking up %25 or %50 fuel and a DT is obviously an arcade player's tactic. 

From there, what HTC does with the amount of fuel allowed is immaterial, imo. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
Obviously not a combat pilot or you would know this stuff better than I do.

Read again, "empty weight" is zero fuel..."maximum take off weight" is calculated with full fuel.

Wrong. Empty Weight is the aircraft without pilot, cargo, ord, and fuel. Maximum Take Off Weight is the the maximum wight the airframe can (safely) carry.

If you honestly believe the max take off weight is exceeded with full fuel tanks plus maximum ordnance packages, you need to give up your pilots license.

Or you need to take some physics classes. Not all aircraft can carry 100% + max ord.

We are talking about combat aircraft so it applies to all combat aircraft on a combat mission and all observer/scout aircraft flying a combat mission.

Each combat aircraft is different.

I really do not see what your p-51 and B-17 examples prove. It only shows the numbers for each aircraft.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:57:35 PM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 08:19:44 PM »
I only carry 50% fuel and dts in my spit.  I make that last for about 1hr or drop dts and got 20 min of full throttle.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.