Author Topic: V Speeds  (Read 987 times)

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
V Speeds
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »
So where ARE the V-speeds for each aircraft? I'm aware that there wouldn't be actual V speeds for all aircaft but most should be known. In any case HTC should be able to tell us the V-speeds for all modeled aircarft as they were modeled. Anyways, does anyone know? HiTech?

RealDeal :salute
~BParker~
SHADE

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: V Speeds
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:29:29 PM »
Stall speed clean plus 10 will work for anything for Vr.

V speeds are much more modern than WWII.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
So where ARE the V-speeds for each aircraft? I'm aware that there wouldn't be actual V speeds for all aircaft but most should be known. In any case HTC should be able to tell us the V-speeds for all modeled aircarft as they were modeled. Anyways, does anyone know? HiTech?

RealDeal :salute

Most of the POH's back then didn't list "V" speeds, at least not like we have now.  They'll show stall speed in a specific configuration, and will sometimes list an approximate "best climb" speed, but you want see what you're expecting.  Given that, for example, a P-47N can have a 9,000 lbs swing between empty and gross weight, it'd be hard to say that there's one single stall speed, whereas your Cessna has a useful load of 800 lbs and the stall speed stays pretty close to the book number all the time.  Best recommendation is to go to the Wiki and look for the planes that have POH's linked in their wiki pages.  Then, do some research and you'll be able to assemble a fairly good list for your favorite ride.  As far as HTC giving us V speeds "as modeled", I'd recommend doing some testing yourself.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »
Most of the POH's back then didn't list "V" speeds, at least not like we have now.  They'll show stall speed in a specific configuration, and will sometimes list an approximate "best climb" speed, but you want see what you're expecting.  Given that, for example, a P-47N can have a 9,000 lbs swing between empty and gross weight, it'd be hard to say that there's one single stall speed, whereas your Cessna has a useful load of 800 lbs and the stall speed stays pretty close to the book number all the time.  Best recommendation is to go to the Wiki and look for the planes that have POH's linked in their wiki pages.  Then, do some research and you'll be able to assemble a fairly good list for your favorite ride.  As far as HTC giving us V speeds "as modeled", I'd recommend doing some testing yourself.

Thanks for the response. I am aware that wing-loading affects stall speeds. Looking up POH's might be an interesting acedemic exercise, howerver I am looking for the data as it was modeled. But as to me doing testing, HTC either has the information as it has been modeled or they don't.  That's all I', asking. :salute
~BParker~
SHADE

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »
HTC either has the information as it has been modeled or they don't.  That's all I', asking. :salute

Everything changes.  Vy changes, Vx changes, Vbestglide, etc.  The exact speeds in-game are controlled based on the appropriate aeronautical equation that holds authority over that aspect of flight, based on altitude (everything is ISA conditions), weight, power available, etc.  The community usually has to test those types of performance measures off-line or in-game to determine them because there is no master table that controls the planes in-game.  One thing we do know is that the default [alt-x] auto-climb speed is the nominal Vy for that aircraft.  Its a fixed speed, so in reality, you can set the exact Vy manually if you know it, based on aircraft weight and altitude to get the absolute max, at that configuration.  I can tell you that an F6F-5 has an approximate clean stall speed of 96mph IAS when loaded with ammo and 25% fuel, but that's only because I tested it, not because HTC gave it to me.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:28:17 AM »
howerver I am looking for the data as it was modeled. But as to me doing testing, HTC either has the information as it has been modeled or they don't.  That's all I', asking. :salute

Not trying to be nasty here, but they will never give you those numbers. Their "modeling" data is proprietary and they keep a very tight grip on it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:18 AM »
Also for Vne a lot of these aircraft are mach limited hence there really isn't a Vne. And Vx we typically do not have.

HiTech

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »
Well i know the Spitfire Mk1 best climb Rate and that's around 4,740 feet per minute. But V speed's never heard of them for WW2 aircraft as really in the vertical with a spit you have atleast 20 seconds of time in it if you are lucky.
 :salute

Here is the climb and stall speeds Of the Spit IX along with the maximum speeds in testing.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spitfire-IX.html

Its really a good read and shall give you an average idea of all aircraft of that period  :salute

But never go vertical in a WW2 aircraft as 80% of the time you are a dead duck :) you also may not now it but i believe that WW2 aircraft where designed to fight in the Speed and the climb, dive and their turning capability's. In WW2 rookie pilots where warned never to do a loop in combat as you expose too mutch aircraft and run the risk of stalling out infront of your oppenent. So in reality the V speeds where never considered to be apropiate for them as at the time Engine power wasnt able to take the aircraft vertical in likes of today's aircraft.   :salute

Im sure someone will come along and either correct me or worse :lol
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:09:36 AM by BulletVI »
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 10:50:09 PM »
Also for Vne a lot of these aircraft are mach limited hence there really isn't a Vne. And Vx we typically do not have.

HiTech

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted. Apperently the data is not available or easly determined. No problem I just wondered what the story was. :aok

RealDeal
~BParker~
SHADE