Author Topic: Geforce Annihilator Pro ddr better than voodoo3?  (Read 620 times)

-towd_

Geforce Annihilator Pro ddr better than voodoo3?
« on: December 30, 2000, 09:22:00 PM »
Geforce Annihilator Pro Video Card, 32MB, AGP, 256-bit graphics 350 MHz Palette-DAC

$99  on pricewatch anyone using this ?
is it better than a g force mx?

i sold my voodoo 3 2000 pci and want a step up in proformance is this better than a g force 2 mx also with sdr memory ?

i am at a loss as to wich to buy

thanks for any reply

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2000, 12:30:00 AM »
If it's truely the DDR version it should be at least on par or slightly better than the GeForce 2 MX.  (Performance would be better for GF2MX at low resolutions, but DDR ram will make a huge difference at higher resolutions.  This would make Gf1 DDR faster.)  I'd probably go with the DDR, they are usually a better quality card anyway.

Any GeForce will blow a Voodoo2 or 3 out of the water.  You also will now have the ability to do 32 bit color.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2000, 12:45:00 AM »
Here, look at this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q2/000629/index.html

Near the end there are some results comparing GeForce 1 SDR, GF1 DDR, GF2 GTS, and GF2 Mx.  The GF2 GTS is always the fastest, the Gf1 ddr is always number 2.  On average the GF2 MX is as good or slightly better than Gf1 SDR.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2000, 01:14:00 AM »
If ya have the horsepower to push a card like that...

Both in watts and cpu

AKskurj

-towd_

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2000, 07:36:00 AM »
got a p2 550 runin at 565 at 102 bus and a 667 133 bus in a box just in case. need to buy the memory for the 133 but my board supports it . if its needed.

that should be ok just barely no?

ps no fan at all on the 550 now i think with a fan i could push alot more from the cpu , its a slot one so i havent been able to get fans localy but will order.

-towd_

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2000, 07:38:00 AM »
and 400 watt supply thanks for the advice

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2000, 10:01:00 AM »
looks fine towd, with the exception of NO fan.........
even put a stock fan on it if ya can!!
The heat kills the thing over time as well..

I have a slot 1 also and I use twin Globalwin 26cfm fans on it.  I just modified a cheap heatsink to take the 2 fans.  Permits me to run 448mhz on a celery 266 at 1.9 volts  

AKskurj

Offline W00D

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.occlan.net
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2000, 01:26:00 PM »
The Geforce MX is Nvidias venture into the 'cheap' video card market. The voodoos are done. The GF1 DDR is just a tad faster than the GF MX but the MX is much cheaper. You can get a MX retail for about 120. I paid 250 for my GF1 with sdram, thought it was the godsent for my 300A celery till i cooked that thing running it at 450. You can find a few rare MXs that have DDR memory on them. I think asus makes them. IMO the MX is the best card for the $ right now.
   If you have the $$ shell out and get a GeForce 2 GTS Ultra 64meg, sit back, and prepare to be blown away with the graphics that card can put on your crt.
I personally cant tell anyone to buy any voodoo cards because after the 12 of feb there mayu be no support from the company and you may never get any new drivers. And anyone can tell you what voodoo drivers are like in the first pace.