Author Topic: Anybody know of a good naval warfare sim?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Anybody know of a good naval warfare sim?
« on: July 24, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »
This ol' ship's cat wonders if there are any good naval warfare sims out there?

Back in the days when going from 8K to 11K of RAM was a cool upgrade, I was shown a splendid home-programmed Napoleonic Frigate Action effort that took forever to load from a tape-cassete player (and often crashed before it made it), but which somehow managed to simulate: the wind speed and direction; changing the angle of the sails to suit; rocks 'n' shoals; steering the ship by rudder; firing the guns (which recoiled and then were run out again after the right amount of reload time); and finally, one or both ships sinking (they always went down bows-first). The view was plan-only and the graphics were the usual lo-res green squiggles, but it was an great li'l sim all the same.

I've seen a few 'sailing sims' and 'WW2 Destroyer' stuff-'n'-nonsense but never anything that inspired me to load it on my 'puter. Hopefully, some of you can point me in the right direction?

Splice the mainbrace!

:cool:   
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Re: Anybody know of a good naval warfare sim?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:28:40 AM »
a real old but good game was GREAT NAVAL BATTLES series. be warned a pentium 1 is 'too fast' for this oldie game lol.

id love to know of any 1st person 1700's era pirate-privateer type 'sim' ... closest kick I get is from EMPIRE TOTAL WAR playing some mods where im a minor caribbean nation hell-bent of raiding all the major power's trade routes. :D

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »
Try navyfield . It seemed good when I played www.navyfield.com
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »
You can still buy "Battleship".   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:24:08 PM »
War in the Pacific by Matrix was recommended by one of the CM's when they ran the Coral Sea Scenario

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/details/War.in.the.Pacific.-.Admiral%27s.Edition

I have never heard of any Tall Ship sims or strat games...sounds cool though
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:26:58 PM by oneway »

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »
Pacific Storm and Pacific Storm:Allies made by BUKA games.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »
You can try "Tortuga" a pirate style game. It deals with the age of sailing ships and you progress from a small bark up to a British man o war. Semi realistic with wind effects. Not very challenging but you can usually get it pretty cheap. It does work on vista
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 03:46:29 PM »
I think the OP needs to clarify what genre he is looking for...

Is it a strat based war game like Stratego...or is it first person action kind of think like Silent Hunter...or one of the hybrids that is both strat/turn based hex with some live action stuff...

Incidentally, having done a ton of competitive sailing in my youth and interested in sailing simulators as a result of this thread OP, I stumbled across a really neat resource, which I am sure you guys probably already know about...the Open Directory Project..

http://www.dmoz.org/

Its a directory listing and open source site that I thought was really cool. In searching for sailing simulators I found this listing on the ODP...Simulations/Ships and Sailing

http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Simulation/Ships_and_Sailing/

Here is the sailing simulator that caught my eye on that listing:

http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/en/

An online multi-player game that has regattas and match racing along the lines of the Americas Cup

Pretty cool concept...no idea how good the game is though

Out

Oneway

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:08:37 PM by oneway »

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »
You can try "Tortuga" a pirate style game. It deals with the age of sailing ships and you progress from a small bark up to a British man o war. Semi realistic with wind effects. Not very challenging but you can usually get it pretty cheap. It does work on vista

That sounds really cool...

I would love to see a pirate style sailing game where you can steal boats and generally commit mayhem in the Caribbean sea circa 18'th century with the same grit and style as Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption..

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

Oneway

Offline dev1ant

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »
That sounds really cool...

I would love to see a pirate style sailing game where you can steal boats and generally commit mayhem in the Caribbean sea circa 18'th century with the same grit and style as Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption..

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

Oneway

http://www.burningsea.com/page/home
Deviant

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 08:06:27 PM »
a real old but good game was GREAT NAVAL BATTLES series. be warned a pentium 1 is 'too fast' for this oldie game lol.

id love to know of any 1st person 1700's era pirate-privateer type 'sim' ... closest kick I get is from EMPIRE TOTAL WAR playing some mods where im a minor caribbean nation hell-bent of raiding all the major power's trade routes. :D

Might be exactly what your looking for.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/seadogs/index.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:34:25 PM by Hoarach »
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 08:29:43 PM »
     I think I played this one back in the 90s.  I really don't remember much about it.
Wooden Ships and Iron Men

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/woodenshipsironmen/download_2532394.html?sid=2532394&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates%3Btitle%3B1

If you decide to risk it, try this.

http://www.classicpcgamer.com/servlet/the-6076/Wooden-Ships-and-Iron/Detail
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:31:14 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »
 My favorite all time naval games were Carrier Force (SSI) somwhat tactical, War in the South Pacific(SSI) strategic but with tactical elements, Battlecruiser and Warship, tactical ww2 Alantic and Pacific overhead view type (probably my favorites), and TF1942 by Microprose.

I have the Matrix Pacific game, and kinda disappointed with it. I want something along the lines of Silent Hunter but for fleet actions where you find range for the guns, and launch torp spreads, lay smoke,starshells, stuff like that.

~AoM~

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 08:19:56 AM »
Remember Pirates? That was a blast for Commodore 64. Was stupid, but a lot of fun anyway,lol.
                                                                 <S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID