Author Topic: $35 computer and Steve Jobs... Eat your heart out  (Read 2170 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: $35 computer and Steve Jobs... Eat your heart out
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »
PART of the market doesnt make the market. Apple is only 8% of the market.

Remember the '1984' ad for Mac? Turned out its Jobs that plays the part of 'Big Brother.'

Apple just outgrew Microsoft. Despite having only 8% in desktop market it's haulin. After spending some time with osx it becomes painfully evident how crude windows is in many ways. One dumbfounding example: bluetooth support. MS knowingly crippled it for some reason so nobody can connect a bluetooth hifi device to windows without disabling MS native and installing third party software.

I used to be strongly pro MS and anti Apple / Linux. Now after having spent some time with them I can see that windows is really a poor compromise that lives only through it's dominant spread.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
Apple outgrew MS? Are you talking wishfully or figuratively? Apple is such an ant compared to MS its almost not even in the game anymore! The only reason Apple is even in the news from time to time is because of the parade they throw. Their devices are not even worth the price or fanfare.

So your a fanbois huh?  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »
Apple outgrew MS? Are you talking wishfully or figuratively? Apple is such an ant compared to MS its almost not even in the game anymore! The only reason Apple is even in the news from time to time is because of the parade they throw. Their devices are not even worth the price or fanfare.

So your a fanbois huh?  :D

I don't know which rock you live under http://www.itp.net/580492-apple-becomes-biggest-tech-company-in-the-world

:D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:09:04 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »
Ha! Im sure the dollar figure will hold for a long while to come. Rush out and buy Apple stock now ok?   :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »
Ha! Im sure the dollar figure will hold for a long while to come. Rush out and buy Apple stock now ok?   :D

Your defensive attitude is telling :)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »
Well... honestly I didnt realize Apple was worth all that. Both of them have way too much stinking green. In taking a closer look I dont even see why they are competitors since MS is primarily a software company and Apple is primarily hardware (or thats what it looks like).

I think MS is going to grow more this fall and that may tip the scale back. I cant wait to see if that bears out being true.  :D

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 10:32:06 PM »
I'd figure they're just trying to get some piece of this pie. Not sure why.

http://www.laptop.org/
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
Im not sure thats the case but I am interested in their inquiries on 'gorilla glass' since they already seem to have a something adequate for WP7. Maybe they are pushing for another go at Surface?

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »
The ONLY reason apple is even still in business is because of the iPod.  That one little device is what saved the company.  Now I'm not saying the iPod isn't a cool device.. it is, however I would never buy one.  Why?  Simple.. because I DON'T NEED ONE.  Apple has become very good at taking advantage of fanbois zombies... you know.. the "gotta get it" kind of crowd.  The kind who doesn't even consider the consequences... all they want is the newest and greatest.  These people somehow got addicted to the iPod.. then HAD to get the iPod touch, then the iPhone.. then the iPad.. and so on.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to this rule, but the vast majority of people who would purchase a $200 iPod over a $35 mp3 player don't use their brains.  Just look at iTunes!  This software makes Norton look like chlidsplay compared to what iTunes does to you O/S (I'm sure Skuzzy can relate).  I never understood why software used to transfer music to a music player had to use so many resources... oh wait!  Yeah I forgot.. it has to check the music to make sure it is legal.. and then convince you to purchase more and then check for DRM updates and also "album cover" artwork.. and I'm sure it has some conversion software built in (so you can BUY that mp3 you already have downloaded so it can convert it to a format the the iPod can use)...

And the whole joke of this whole deal is that with an el-cheapo mp3 player, you can simply plug it in to your computer, drag and drop the music (and other files) to it, unplug it and you're good to go!  NO EXTRA SOFTWARE REQUIRED!!

Now look at the whole iPhone and iPad deal... most software for portable devices is flash based.  Whoa.. Apple doesn't support flash, I wonder why this is?  Oh yeah, so you have to PURCHASE compatible "applications" for the iPhone/iPad/whatever!  More money in their pockets...  My Samsung version of the iPhone does everything I need it to, and if I want games there are plenty of sites I can visit to download games (and other apps) for free.  Oh yes, some are available for purchase as well - and for the most part the ones you buy are much better quality and I *DO* buy the few apps that I actually use regularly, but for the most part, especially with games on these things... once you play it once or twice you forget about it anyway.

Personally, I believe anyone that purchases an iAnything is a fanbois, as literally ALL of these devices are available for a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the 'big-brother' factor elsewhere.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against a company wanting to make money.  There's something to be said about a good product and I *do* believe that these iDevices have excellent hardware quality, but boy do you pay for it (and I'm not necessarily talking about money).

Now, Challenge mentions that Apple only has a fraction of the market share compared to Microsoft, and I believe his statement to be true.  You cannot compare MS and Apple based purely on Sales $$$ because they are so different.  Apple sells Hardware, O/S Software, Cell phones, and consumer devices (iThings), whereas Microsoft ONLY sells Software, Xboxes, and a FRACTION of consumer devices (Zune fiasco).  To compare the two companies in a way that we're talking about here, you'd basically have to limit the comparison to percentage of O/S sales.

Base on THIS comparison, Apple is only a tiny fraction of what Microsoft is.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:49:19 PM by Tigger29 »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
complete rubbish. iMacs, OSX and Job's return as CEO saved Apple as a company and reversed their OS market share decline. iPods and iPhones just made them a lot more profitable. since you got the first sentence so completely, historically wrong I'm going to assume the rest of your "analysis" is tosh too.

its to be expected though, eveyone is an "expert" when it comes to apple. never run a large comany? never traded stock? cant even be bothered to look up share price history and other key financial data? youre an APPLE Inc expert. never used OSX or any other *nix flavour? only ever used windoze? youre an OS and UI expert. :rolleyes:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
Not sure how an OS that they (basically) gave away could save the company but if you say so!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 03:18:04 PM »
I forgot to add the other major reason - investment and comittment to Office X development from ... microsoft :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »
 Just look at iTunes!  This software makes Norton look like chlidsplay compared to what iTunes does to you O/S (I'm sure Skuzzy can relate).  I never understood why software used to transfer music to a music player had to use so many resources...

You're making the mistake of using windows obviously, osx has no such problem with iTunes. :)

And what goes for market share, mobile devices are the highest growing market segment at the moment and microsoft totally dropped the ball on that one. They canceled their production while android / iphone is growing at a fast rate and eating away Symbian share.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2010, 10:25:45 AM »
Apparently you missed the memo about Windows Phone 7 (not that I think it will be the end all item).

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »
Apparently you missed the memo about Windows Phone 7 (not that I think it will be the end all item).

Yes they make memos while droid/iphoneos makes millions of sales. :D