Author Topic: Squelch Feature  (Read 1695 times)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: Squelch Feature
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
The game is not a social network site.  Let's clear that one up, right off.  No game is.

Games are "entertainment".  They are meant to be fun.  They are as escape from the real world.  They allow you to immerse yourself in virtual situations you would never be able to do in the real world.  They cease to be fun when someone insists on dragging the real world into them.

If you want to speak on the social issues of the day, go to the appropriate venue.  Just keep it out of the game, treat others with respect, and you may find you suddenly no longer need a permanent squelch list.
very true!

I sadly have been squelching more and more people lately tho!  I rarely type anything more than a salute or how you doing, and an occasional  :nice fight WTG",,but i have developed a list of people that i squelch as soon as i see them type !
 they don't talk politics,, they just like to torment people for no good reason it would seem,, I have never understood the fun in typing instead of flying in a flight sim game!
 in late war it is not a problem since i can and do detune 200, but in mid war we still have all channel!   just my two cents!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 12:15:45 PM »
in late war it is not a problem since i can and do detune 200, but in mid war we still have all channel!   just my two cents!

.squelch 1

Does that work?  Never had the need to squelch everyone.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 12:44:45 PM »
.squelch 1

Does that work?  Never had the need to squelch everyone.
I'll try that!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »
So you have a squelch list and the guy that was squelched changes his game ID.  Ta-da.  Then the newbie comes along that likes that old game ID (not knowing a thing about the history of it) and grabs it, but no one will talk to him.  Awwwww, poor newbie.  With no one to talk to, he cancels his account thinking everyone in the game is a snobby numpty.

Next you will suggest for us to keep a list of all the game ID changes and send them to your computer so the game on your computer can check for any game ID changes in the list and correct them.  After 3 hours and thousands of names being downloaded, you can then start playing again, until someone else changes thier ID.

Gee, that sounds like fun.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:15:24 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:20 PM »
Or you could just un tune 200 if it really gets to you that much.
Strokes

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »
Pluss one for Skuzzy , LOL  .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »
Wouldn't it be easy enough to write a macro or script for your own controller and just press a button combination every time you logged in?

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »
Wouldn't it be easy enough to write a macro or script for your own controller and just press a button combination every time you logged in?

Yep. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
People you were mad at yesterday are now fighting side by side with you and having a good time. Lots of people I talk today and fly with, I hated their guts a few months ago then I realized problem was me.  Now I'll tease some people in the other countries and they tease back all in good fun.  If there had been a perma squelch list I wouldda missed on a lot of friends.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »
So you have a squelch list and the guy that was squelched changes his game ID.  Ta-da.  Then the newbie comes along that likes that old game ID (not knowing a thing about the history of it) and grabs it, but no one will talk to him.  Awwwww, poor newbie.  With no one to talk to, he cancels his account thinking everyone in the game is a snobby numpty.

Next you will suggest for us to keep a list of all the game ID changes and send them to your computer so the game on your computer can check for any game ID changes in the list and correct them. After 3 hours and thousands of names being downloaded, you can then start playing again, until someone else changes thier ID.

Gee, that sounds like fun.

Serious question, why do you care if I squelched player X a year ago and someone else has that name now?   Not everyone squelches the same name, so you would be pretty safe knowing the newbie isn't just seeing their text.  This simple change could have been written in minutes, and wallah, a new feature that enhances the game for some is done.  I personally would use it and moderators could once again simply point people to the squelch options to filter things to their liking.  Seems simple to me.

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
The game is not a social network site.  Let's clear that one up, right off.  No game is.

Games are "entertainment".  They are meant to be fun.  They are as escape from the real world.  They allow you to immerse yourself in virtual situations you would never be able to do in the real world.  They cease to be fun when someone insists on dragging the real world into them.

If you want to speak on the social issues of the day, go to the appropriate venue.  Just keep it out of the game, treat others with respect, and you may find you suddenly no longer need a permanent squelch list.

Then why is there a channel that allows all players to communicate in an arena?  I know it isn't for the realism it brings the game.   It may not be its intended use, but you can not argue that it is used in this manor all day long.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »
Then why is there a channel that allows all players to communicate in an arena?  I know it isn't for the realism it brings the game.   It may not be its intended use, but you can not argue that it is used in this manor all day long.

Instead of screwing over us because YOU don't like 200, DETUNE 200.   Your CO SHawk enjoys 200, not to mention Kamori, warhed, OGIE and countless other WoT's.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 07:06:15 PM »
Instead of screwing over us because YOU don't like 200, DETUNE 200.   Your CO SHawk enjoys 200, not to mention Kamori, warhed, OGIE and countless other WoT's.   

When did I say I don't like 200?  I don't recall saying that, I recall saying there are people I do not wish to read or hear from.  There are still many I enjoy reading for their humor, insight, or candor.  But please, jump on the pig pile if ewe like!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
When did I say I don't like 200?  I don't recall saying that, I recall saying there are people I do not wish to read or hear from.  There are still many I enjoy reading for their humor, insight, or candor.  But please, jump on the pig pile if ewe like!

Perma Squelch will never happen.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC