Author Topic: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.  (Read 15874 times)

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Re: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2010, 10:00:27 AM »
No turbulence in the air to disrupt the round in flight...
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2010, 11:22:51 AM »
I am not saying it happened or didn't happen ... what I am saying is that there is nothing (physics-wise & a whole lot of luck) that would not allow it.

Firing a tank round and considering its speed and flat trajectory for the distance it can shoot, I can't find any reason that someone with a good sense of Kentucky windage could not hit an aircraft.

They most likely didn't shoot at aircraft because their chances were slim to none, and wasting precious ammo that could/should be used for their real threat would not be a smart move.

Not to mention the chances of the shell hitting a friendly unit or falling in a civilian town.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
I am not saying it happened or didn't happen ... what I am saying is that there is nothing (physics-wise & a whole lot of luck) that would not allow it.

Firing a tank round and considering its speed and flat trajectory for the distance it can shoot, I can't find any reason that someone with a good sense of Kentucky windage could not hit an aircraft.

They most likely didn't shoot at aircraft because their chances were slim to none, and wasting precious ammo that could/should be used for their real threat would not be a smart move.

I agree 100%.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2010, 11:58:51 AM »
They didn't shoot at aircraft due to the steep angle fighters dove to drop bombs look at old footage and you will see planes coming in at a 45 angle or more.  In ah tanks kill lots of planes due to the shallow angle we fly and usually at low alt so we can see the icons vs in ww2 that were flying at a much higher altitude.  I am pretty sure the Russian il2s were not flying at 500 feet towards a tank. Just speculating here but I do know for sure allied tanks shot down a few planes with their main tank.  And if you ever seen Rambo a helicopter too but that was more like a ho.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DeViouS1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
heh...i could start here on you devious about some things you said to me in the game but i wont because id be skuzzified... :rolleyes: lucky shot my butt. i have been hit by tank shells as far as 2k out before and i have done the same to the enemy. the new M4 is perfect for it but id prefer the M8.
Yeah Yeah Bar.... we know... your the best..  :rofl  :aok Join the club with the other 2 who posted before you about their "uncanny" skill.... At the end of the day you guys can draw straws, play bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish, or maybe even rock, paper, scissors for it  :banana: The main deciding factor for shooting down a plane at extremely far distances is luck however, and picking one off doesn't give you any "special powers"  :rofl ... Just a rabbits foot up the wazzoo...  :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:11:06 PM by DeViouS1 »
"Behold the pale horse... And the man who rode upon it was death, and hell followed with him"  "revelations"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »
No turbulence in the air to disrupt the round in flight...
Would have a very small effect and on something as luck based as this is just as likely to blow a near miss into a hit as it is to blow a hit into a near miss.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »
Stuka..... ok.  Pony diving at 450... bah.  With the best tracking technology and precise servo motors, our modern ADA systems are not 100 percent accurate.  I firmly believe there is not stinking way a round 7.5cm wide, that is point detonating, key...point detonating, can hit a plane at speed.  low flying slow stuka.... perhaps.   The guess on where that 450mph plane is going to be when that 7.5 cm round, directly contacts it....   a bah to the high tank HP on AC.   
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2010, 08:00:05 PM »
Yeah Yeah Bar.... we know... your the best..  :rofl  :aok Join the club with the other 2 who posted before you about their "uncanny" skill.... At the end of the day you guys can draw straws, play bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish, or maybe even rock, paper, scissors for it  :banana: The main deciding factor for shooting down a plane at extremely far distances is luck however, and picking one off doesn't give you any "special powers"  :rofl ... Just a rabbits foot up the wazzoo...  :D
so youre saying that being on a game for 6 years aiming weaponry like that all the time wont give you any amount of skill devious? im sorry but MANY people in the game can kill at distances over 1k. stop flaming me because you cant aim a gun on a GV. you apparently know everything huh? how long have you played this because under devious i only have you listed for two tours.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
so youre saying that being on a game for 6 years aiming weaponry like that all the time wont give you any amount of skill devious? im sorry but MANY people in the game can kill at distances over 1k. stop flaming me because you cant aim a gun on a GV. you apparently know everything huh? how long have you played this because under devious i only have you listed for two tours.

He isn't worth the attention or effort.   He's a hypocrite.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2010, 12:35:32 AM »
I think a factor that is being overlooked is how the Tankers SA is so much better than what was historically possible. There's a huge difference between hitting a button and instantly moving from the commanders position to the gun sight, versus calling out an incoming plane to a gunner. Also think about how quick rounds get reloaded, or changed from AP to HE, these are modeled as working to perfection and minimal time. So while all the mechanical components may be modeled correctly, we have the advantage of better SA and virtually instantaneous control.

With that being said, I'm not sure anything should be changed, but I wanted to point out an aspect I had not seen brought up in this discussion.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2010, 08:28:49 AM »
Stuka..... ok.  Pony diving at 450... bah.  With the best tracking technology and precise servo motors, our modern ADA systems are not 100 percent accurate.  I firmly believe there is not stinking way a round 7.5cm wide, that is point detonating, key...point detonating, can hit a plane at speed.  low flying slow stuka.... perhaps.   The guess on where that 450mph plane is going to be when that 7.5 cm round, directly contacts it....   a bah to the high tank HP on AC.  

:rofl ... what difference does the plane type or speed really have to do with ... luck is luck.

If some guy in a tank takes one real lucky shot with a lot of Kentucky windage at a passing P-51 going 450 mph and the path of the tank round directly intersects with the flight path of the P-51 ... that sucker is going down ... and could be considered one of the luckiest shots in history.

Could someone do it regularity ... I think not ... but it is in no way ... impossible ... just highly improbable.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2010, 08:38:28 AM »
HiTech still vulching planes in a tank after all these years?  You should have him tell you about his vulching with the T-34 in AW.

ack-ack

I remember sitting at the spawn of runways so he could test fire the range of the T-34 to kill people on the Pacific map central atoll from B-lands main island.. "Over" "Under" "BOOM!"  :rofl
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2010, 02:00:35 PM »
Show me one instance of a tank shooting down an aircraft at speed with it's main gun during WWII while in flight. No I would not make HTC do anything I only posted a wish on the wish list forum.

Since gv icons don't show up until you are just about on them. There is not much chance of avoiding them when you don't even know they are about & then POW dead from a tank round fired from 2-4k away nailed you in one shot.

Didn't read all 8 pages so not sure if this was mentioned or not but simply here is my counter argument to it all.

If I recall, no CV was ever sunk from a level flying bomber, yet it happens all the time in AH. Does this mean we shouldn't be allowed to do it?
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Airborne

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2010, 02:14:36 PM »
Didn't read all 8 pages so not sure if this was mentioned or not but simply here is my counter argument to it all.

If I recall, no CV was ever sunk from a level flying bomber, yet it happens all the time in AH. Does this mean we shouldn't be allowed to do it?

This is probably mostly due to noone took level bombers over a carrier because 1)hard to find, even if general area is know, but I'm guessing its primarily because of 2)CAP over the carriers... If people flew CAP over their carriers this wouldnt happen (in game, that is) which means you'd need something faster, more maneuverable to get in and get bombs/torpedos off.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
The bismark was first bombed by (not sure which type) buffs but it kept turning to avoid the bombs.  Buffs never scored a hit, they dropped from too high alt as buffs were trained to do in ww2.  Then again in ww2 no single cv grouped parked next to a Japanese base and attacked it either.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.