Author Topic: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.  (Read 15716 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 10:54:35 PM »
Does it really happen so much that it is an issue?
i had a video of me in an M4 76 shooting down 6 aircraft in 5 minutes. 1 flying away at 1k at an angle. 3 on approach to strafe and 2 at close angles covering my friendly GVs... :lol
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »
I recall getting the Tiger and the Old Pizza map was up.   Rooks were defending a base from the Bish.   I was pointed at the town and next to high ridge.   LTARRaptr lost 3 Goons to 3 rounds.   We kept the field and Raptor was not a happy player.    :D
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »
As much as I hate being shot down by a Tank's main gun, I have always attributed it to practice, practice, practice.

Shoot thousands of rounds at planes and you're bound to get the hang of it.

Why doesn't it happen in real life?  Who has the thousands of rounds, and thousands of lives, to get the actions and lead worked out and how often did the opportunity actually present itself?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 11:05:50 PM »
Needs reamdomizer, be sure.
I don't think it would help.  I think it would be as likely to randomize a near miss into a hit as a hit into a near miss.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 11:42:54 PM »
No not really. How ever it just seems wrong that a tank is taking out aircraft moving at over 150 MPH & over several K away with one shot. Then the same GV guys turn to flacks & cant hit an aircraft that is within 800 feet. As I said before Shermans as flack units just seems wrong.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:48:42 PM by lyric1 »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 12:45:55 AM »

No, it has happen to me twice in the five years of playing. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 12:52:54 AM »
We have that advantage of unlimited lives and unlimited rounds in the game, not to mention a one man tank crew with no one to tell use what we can't do with it.  So it's possible, I see no reason to change anything.  If someone has the skill to take my airplane down with their tank, more power to them (attitude may be different for the first couple minutes after the incident while I'm screaming BS!  :D).

The closest I've come to this is taking down a B25 with a shore battery.  I was so excited.  :banana:
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 12:55:03 AM »
I have been killed 3k-4k away from a panzer flying at 4,000ft, when I was not even attacking it. Some players are especially good at using tanks as AA.

Just jink a little when you know an M4 is improvising some AA fire. With a tank's ROF, if he hits you then he did it by dumb luck and you number just happened to be called. Realisticly, he should only get 1 shot before you start diving and climbing, and making small, imperceptable turns that will screw his aim.

And Lyric1, would you have HTC make tank rounds have no effect on aircraft period, or only when they are airborne? Since the turret traverse rates, gun elevations and depressions, balistics, and ROF are as close to accurate as possible, then it was possible in WWII for tanks to kill bombers from several thousand yards out.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 02:33:32 AM »
Just jink a little when you know an M4 is improvising some AA fire. With a tank's ROF, if he hits you then he did it by dumb luck and you number just happened to be called. Realisticly, he should only get 1 shot before you start diving and climbing, and making small, imperceptable turns that will screw his aim.

And Lyric1, would you have HTC make tank rounds have no effect on aircraft period, or only when they are airborne? Since the turret traverse rates, gun elevations and depressions, balistics, and ROF are as close to accurate as possible, then it was possible in WWII for tanks to kill bombers from several thousand yards out.
Show me one instance of a tank shooting down an aircraft at speed with it's main gun during WWII while in flight. No I would not make HTC do anything I only posted a wish on the wish list forum.

Since gv icons don't show up until you are just about on them. There is not much chance of avoiding them when you don't even know they are about & then POW dead from a tank round fired from 2-4k away nailed you in one shot.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 06:09:20 AM »
No, it has happen to me twice in the five years of playing. 
yet people get kill streaks of 5-15 planes in T34/76s M4/76s M4/75s and M8s. I prefer the M8. rapid fire means more shots off quicker.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »
please watch this film I captured before continuing the discussion.

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/dueling_the_SB.ahf

that is all  :rofl
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 08:15:58 AM »
please watch this film I captured before continuing the discussion.

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/dueling_the_SB.ahf

that is all  :rofl
:rofl
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 08:39:38 AM »
Killing planes on strafing runs with tanks is easy as pie.  Your best defense is a steep attack above the guns max elevation, but even then you either need to kill/turret or make sure you pull out with plenty of space between you and the ground or you will be fragged by HE as you pass and sit there going  :noid.

To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »
Just think if we had canister rounds.  PULL!

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »
When this has come up before someone suggested the main issue was with how the tank optics were handled.

From my brief experience driving tanks in this game, I would tend to agree.  The zoom level on the optics is way too powerful.