Author Topic: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.  (Read 15655 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tanks rounds shooting down aircraft.
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2010, 10:45:13 AM »
Hell why not make the 8" guns on the ship hit planes in one shot as well?

Pretty sure Ive done that.  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2010, 11:54:15 AM »
...and it never happened at all.

How do you know it never happened? You mean you have never found any documentation or recorded instances that it happened, but the possibility is there reguardless of if you think it did not happen.

Yes, I agree the odds of it actually happening in real life are slim, but being the possibility is there, it could have happened. I have killed many B25s and IL2 coming at my tank, head on at less than 25% off the horizon flying perfectly straight and level... 600 Bingo! your dead. Probably never happened in real life because in real life the pilots were smart enough not to fly that way at a tank. Wouldn't expect a plane to be taken down by riflemen ground fire, but it happens, ask the Red Baron.

I think the reason it occurs so much in the game is simply due to the fact that more pilots fly low and slow straight at tanks to try to turrent or destroy them, therefore the occurance increases. Whether it is a .303 or an 8 inch, if the path of the projectile meets intersects the path of an aircraft, the damage will occur.

My $0.02 worth.   :salute

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
im gonna add one tip i learned from I think it was txmom on an aiming method to pop low-angle fools with your main gun..

assuming you have different button for primary/secondary, spray with the coax mg (secondary).. once you start getting pings with the mg, fire main gun  :neener:   the two diff rounds are close enough in velocity to use the mg's as a marker.

works great in t34's.  I got 9 the other day in 1 sortie in t34/76.  tracked, sittin on a hill they kept tryin with b25's and il2's (and spitfires   :huh   ).. yea half were proxies as they augered into the hill, but had a good 4 or 5 maingun hits. then one got smart and upped a tiger or something and ended it.. finally!

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »

Wouldn't expect a plane to be taken down by riflemen ground fire, but it happens, ask the Red Baron.

If you subscribe to this point on the Baron no rifle was involved.

http://www.library.act.gov.au/find/history/frequentlyaskedquestions/act_memorial_stories/Red_Baron

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
I think it might be time to look at tanks ability's at shooting down airborne aircraft at several K away with one shot. The same players that I have run in to of late can't seem to hit you with a flack at 800 out. How ever put them in at a tank & a round hits you from as much as 3k with 1 shot.

I have done this as well it just seems a little off when Shermans become flack units IMHO.

Several thousand feet out?  The distance of hitting someone is already tied into simple probability.  The further you shoot it, the less likely you are to hit them.  I don't see why anyone thinks it's impossible to hit a plane with a tank round.  If you are shooting a projectile into three dimensional space and an airplane is flying through that same space, why can they not meet at the same time?  This sounds like a whine because lyric got unlucky and got blasted out of the sky by an incredible shot.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2010, 12:32:43 PM »
Always disparaging on people arent you grizz? Lyric thinks its funny when it happens... just not in keeping with reality. If it ever happened in WWII the gunner in question would have been heralded a hero and given a parade... which bears out his position on it.

The argument is not taking into consideration the differences in actual tanks versus AH. In AH the same guy that drives the tank also guns for it and sits in the cupola. Thats a big advantage when it comes to shooting tank rounds at airplanes. In the real tanks for instance the commanders instructions as to where to aim would need to be a lot more clear then 'to the right of the red barn' which the gunner might not have ever seen but the commander knows precisely where it is. The sights werent that good either but we have crystal clear perfect sights that have no trouble focusing at any range.

Very different worlds.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »
Always disparaging on people arent you grizz? Lyric thinks its funny when it happens... just not in keeping with reality. If it ever happened in WWII the gunner in question would have been heralded a hero and given a parade... which bears out his position on it.

The argument is not taking into consideration the differences in actual tanks versus AH. In AH the same guy that drives the tank also guns for it and sits in the cupola. Thats a big advantage when it comes to shooting tank rounds at airplanes. In the real tanks for instance the commanders instructions as to where to aim would need to be a lot more clear then 'to the right of the red barn' which the gunner might not have ever seen but the commander knows precisely where it is. The sights werent that good either but we have crystal clear perfect sights that have no trouble focusing at any range.

Very different worlds.

I guess I missed the memo stating that Aces High was a simulation of WW2.  There are plenty of things in the game that never happened in WW2 that are perfectly physically possible.  Jets on the deck, negative G evasives, risky close quarter maneuvering and shooting, oxygen-less 35k P51s and tempests, scorpion bites, etc.  The list goes on, this is no different.  Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't have happened.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2010, 12:41:20 PM »
Pretty sure Ive done that.  :D
one of my squadies, 49Grave, managed to hit a plane with the SB a few tours back. I was shocked he hit the plane 2k out.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2010, 12:48:10 PM »
Several thousand feet out?  The distance of hitting someone is already tied into simple probability.  The further you shoot it, the less likely you are to hit them.  I don't see why anyone thinks it's impossible to hit a plane with a tank round.  If you are shooting a projectile into three dimensional space and an airplane is flying through that same space, why can they not meet at the same time?  This sounds like a whine because lyric got unlucky and got blasted out of the sky by an incredible shot.
Maybe as far as a whine is concerned. How ever I could make the same argument with the 30mm rounds on your K4 not killing aircraft you hit. It could happen & in fact did. Photo documentation exists of this happening. One mans whine is some one Else's concern I guess :old:

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
Maybe as far as a whine is concerned. How ever I could make the same argument with the 30mm rounds on your K4 not killing aircraft you hit. It could happen & in fact did. Photo documentation exists of this happening. One mans whine is some one Else's concern I guess :old:

Nice try on making a good point, except it's not the same thing at all.  The main concern involving 30mm's was an attempt at understanding why some rounds failed to record any damage.  If it was a programmed feature or in fact a bug.  All that 'whining' got some damage related bugs fixed in the game.  As far as this whine is concerned, someone fired a projectile at you and it hit you, simple as that.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
Lyric, hop in a tank, and start taking shots at strafing aircraft. After you can do that without much thought, start taking pot shots at near by (1-1.5K out) low flying bombers and keep at it untill you land a hit.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »
... oxygen-less 35k P51s and tempests, scorpion bites, etc.  

Last time I checked P-51s had plenty of oxygen and if you werent such a pill no one would put scorpions in your helmet.

Just saying.  :D

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2010, 02:12:49 PM »
Lyric, hop in a tank, and start taking shots at strafing aircraft. After you can do that without much thought, start taking pot shots at near by (1-1.5K out) low flying bombers and keep at it untill you land a hit.
I can & do now my issue is that it should not happen.

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2010, 02:19:32 PM »
As far as this whine is concerned, someone fired a projectile at you and it hit you, simple as that.
True my main gripe is that when the same guys died after I bombed them they upped flacks & could not hit me within 800 yards.

Then they gave up & jumped back in tanks to use as a flack unit. Something is a little off when AA vehicles can not inspire enough confidence in it's operator to shoot down aircraft.

keeping in mind that it is a weapon designed for that purpose & yet they give up on it & jumped back in to a tank because they are more likely to hit said plane.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »
I can & do now my issue is that it should not happen.

But you have not given any physical reason as to why it should not happen and that is due to the fact that if a projectile is fired at a moving target and the path of the projectile intersects with the moving target ... the moving target will get hit by the projectile ... doesn't matter if your shooting tank rounds at a plane or shooting arrows at ducks ... somewhere along the line, someone is gonna get lucky coupled with some good aiming sense and their gonna hit the target. Just because you say "it should not happen" doesn't dismiss the fact that it can happen.

True my main gripe is that when the same guys died after I bombed them they upped flacks & could not hit me within 800 yards.

Then they gave up & jumped back in tanks to use as a flack unit. Something is a little off when AA vehicles can not inspire enough confidence in it's operator to shoot down aircraft.

keeping in mind that it is a weapon designed for that purpose & yet they give up on it & jumped back in to a tank because they are more likely to hit said plane.

Total bollocks ... your embellishing to make your point.

Karaya or Zazen will light you up with unbelievable consistency in flak guns or ostwinds, but I doubt strongly that they could be as prolific in a tank. They just might get you in a tank, but your chances of survival is much better with them in a tank as opposed to flak/ostwinds.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."