Author Topic: Locking down the flaps...  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Airwolf

• Copper Member
Locking down the flaps...
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:51:42 PM »
Perhaps I have missed it somewhere, but how can you lock the flaps in various positions without having them automatically retract once you reach a certain speed....Can someone also explain to me the reason AH has this auto-flap retract feature?....If you forget to raise the flaps, and your speed damages them, that should be your problem....Much like the landing gear...They don`t auto-retract.....

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Re: Locking down the flaps...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 03:02:20 PM »
I don't think you can lock them in a certain position.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »
Perhaps I have missed it somewhere, but how can you lock the flaps in various positions without having them automatically retract once you reach a certain speed

You can't "lock down" the flaps to prevent them from auto-retracting once you reach certain speeds.  There are only two ways to prevent the flaps from auto-retracting, 1) don't use flaps and 2) watch your speed to avoid the flaps from auto-retracting.

....Can someone also explain to me the reason AH has this auto-flap retract feature?....If you forget to raise the flaps, and your speed damages them, that should be your problem....Much like the landing gear...They don`t auto-retract.....

It's purely a game play decision on the part of HiTech and we will never see it removed from the game.  

As a player that purely flies a plane that is flap dependent, it sucks having such a hand holding feature like auto-retracting flaps, especially after playing the other two major sims that didn't have this feature.  However, I can see the reasoning behind it and have learned to live with it that it really is no longer an issue with me as I was already used to keeping my speed under control to avoid over speeding and damaging my flaps from playing AW and WB.  

The only thing you have to be careful of is in nose low turns with flaps deployed as it's easy to over speed and have the flaps auto-retract while in a turn which has a tendency to cause a very nasty spin that can be very, very difficult to recover from.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »
Why would you want to lock the flaps?  :headscratch:
Lighten up Francis

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:21:45 PM »
Why would you want to lock the flaps?  :headscratch:

To keep them from running away
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:34:54 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:59:56 PM »
To keep them from running away (Image removed from quote.)

That's the reason I lock down my refrigerator.  Back in the 90's  some dude used to always call me at work and ask if my refrigerator was running.  I would always tell him I'm pretty sure it was. He would then say that I better go catch it. I would get real worried and head home to catch it. That dang thing always made it back to its spot before I got there.   Finally, I decided to lock it down and the phone calls stopped.   
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
That's the reason I lock down my refrigerator.  Back in the 90's  some dude used to always call me at work and ask if my refrigerator was running.  I would always tell him I'm pretty sure it was. He would then say that I better go catch it. I would get real worried and head home to catch it. That dang thing always made it back to its spot before I got there.   Finally, I decided to lock it down and the phone calls stopped.    

That's a cool story.  Did your boss care that you always left work early to go check on your refrigerator?

P.S. What did you lock it down with?  Thinkin bout doin something similar with mine now that you mention it.

Offline TheForce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
That's the reason I lock down my refrigerator.  Back in the 90's  some dude used to always call me at work and ask if my refrigerator was running.  I would always tell him I'm pretty sure it was. He would then say that I better go catch it. I would get real worried and head home to catch it. That dang thing always made it back to its spot before I got there.   Finally, I decided to lock it down and the phone calls stopped.   

Dude!!!  I did exactly the same thing!

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »
That's a cool story.  Did your boss care that you always left work early to go check on your refrigerator?

P.S. What did you lock it down with?  Thinkin bout doin something similar with mine now that you mention it.

You know now that u mention it the dude sounded like my boss and he always called around lunch time. When I came back my pickles and cheese were eaten from my Dukes of Hazard metal lunch box. The irony in that was the reason I was so worried about my fridge out galavanting around was I was afraid my pickles and cheese would go bad. I bought lots of pickles and cheese and never got to eat them until I locked my refrigerator down.

SunBat

P.S. I locked it down with Velcro.
AoM
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline TheForce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:25:31 PM »
You know now that u mention it the dude sounded like my boss and he always called around lunch time. When I came back my pickles and cheese were eaten from my Dukes of Hazard metal lunch box. The irony in that was the reason I was so worried about my fridge out galavanting around was I was afraid my pickles and cheese would go bad. I bought lots of pickles and cheese and never got to eat them until I locked my refrigerator down.

SunBat

Dude!!!  I did exactly the same thing!

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »

That's cool, it was probably an easy transition for you since that's the same way you lock down your shoes to your feets.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »
U know what's funny.  I don't mind eatin a dell pickle straight out of a jar, but I can't stand eating a pickle on a burger.  Same thing with tomatoes and ketchup.  I like eatin french fries with ketchup but I don't want ketchup anywhere near my burger or my hotdog.  Tomato is ok on a burger, but keep it off my sandwich!   :furious

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »
 :rofl that's as bad as my kids. They'll put a 5 gallon bucket of catsup on their frys but won't come near a tomato. They'll eat chicken nuggets by the truck load but will turn their noses up at a grilled chicken breast. Go figure.  :rolleyes:
Lighten up Francis

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 10:00:43 PM »
That's cool, it was probably an easy transition for you since that's the same way you lock down your shoes to your feets.

That's true and that's why I had lots of velcro.

What most people don't realize is that fridges are a lot like elephantsez. After u lock 'em down once with a big ole chain they think they're always locked down with a big ole chain. That's why big strong elephantsez can be locked down with a little ole string at the circus and mighty running refrigerators can be locked down with velco. Capice?
AoM

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
Sunbat's fridge --------> :bolt:
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH