Author Topic: Rudder Pedals  (Read 1625 times)

Offline FBGrave

• Zinc Member
Rudder Pedals
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »
I just purchased rudder pedals and was wondering how they should work. If I push the left rudder pedal should the nose point left or right ?
I guess i could have googled it but I would also like some advice from the community on the best setup.

Don't go where the road don't go

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Rudder Pedals
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:39:54 AM »
Generally, you step on the same pedal for which way you want to yaw - left pedal to yaw left, right pedal to yaw right.

For normal flight, a little rudder in the direction of your turn will keep the little ball centered thus keeping your airframe going through the air with the least drag.

For combat flight, do whatever you need to get out of the enemy's gun solution while gaining position for a shot on him.  Don't worry about keeping the ball centered during combat maneuvering.

Opposite rudder from the turn will let you skid around the turn, bleeding airspeed quickly.  Rudder into the turn will allow you to turn the nose around quicker than without any rudder input.

These are very basic and general statements, but then I'm not a real pilot and am myself very basic and general.   :D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:23:59 AM »
Generally, you step on the same pedal for which way you want to yaw - left pedal to yaw left, right pedal to yaw right.

For normal flight, a little rudder in the direction of your turn will keep the little ball centered thus keeping your airframe going through the air with the least drag.

For combat flight, do whatever you need to get out of the enemy's gun solution while gaining position for a shot on him.  Don't worry about keeping the ball centered during combat maneuvering.

Opposite rudder from the turn will let you skid around the turn, bleeding airspeed quickly.  Rudder into the turn will allow you to turn the nose around quicker than without any rudder input.

These are very basic and general statements, but then I'm not a real pilot and am myself very basic and general.   :D

Always watch the ball (inclinometer, if you prefer)  It makes for smoother turns  :D

Slipping is generally towards the inside of the turn.   Slipping (forward slip) is good to know when one is too fast to land and your engine goes out (as in, there is no chance of a go-around)

Skidding slipping towards the outside of the turn and is  usually BAD and leads to stall-spins   :noid

Side slips are good for taildragger landings (which is what is in AH2 for those of you that use the gear   :devil )

Roll and yaw combined properly is called coordinated turning  :aok

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline FBGrave

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:39:42 AM »
Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I tried fighting last night and had trouble getting the direction right... I augered a few times..lol
Anyway great advice
thx
Don't go where the road don't go

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:42:38 AM »
They took me a few weeks to get used to, but once you get the hang of um it makes flying allot easier.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:49 AM »
One thing that people new to pedals have a hard time with is over-using them (applying too much rudder).  You might want to apply some scaling and/or damping until you get a feel for how much rudder to apply for most of the common situations.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I tried fighting last night and had trouble getting the direction right... I augered a few times..lol
Anyway great advice
thx

Once you get used to the, you will wonder how you ever flew without them  :aok

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »
Anyway great advice
thx

You also have the option of inverting your pedals.  In a normal plane/default game setting, when you push the left pedal in, your plane will yaw left.  However, if you go into the advanced setting, in controls, you can click the invert button.  In my brain, it makes more sense for my plane to yaw left when I am "pulling" my left foot towards my body.  It's your choice, whichever feels more natural.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 10:15:09 AM »
You also have the option of inverting your pedals.  In a normal plane/default game setting, when you push the left pedal in, your plane will yaw left.  However, if you go into the advanced setting, in controls, you can click the invert button.  In my brain, it makes more sense for my plane to yaw left when I am "pulling" my left foot towards my body.  It's your choice, whichever feels more natural.

You are henceforth banned from helping me run control cables on the Bearhawk  when I am finished welding the pedals  :D

:P

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »
Oh man Grizz trying to mess w/ people's mind !
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »
Oh man Grizz trying to mess w/ people's mind !

That's how i do it.   :D

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »
I augered a few times..lol

Watch out for unwanted input.  Real easy to put in say left rudder and then inadvertently leave your foot on the pedal burning all your E.   I've had my pedals for a while now and still manage to do that.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »
In this situation I agree with grizz, think of it as steering a bike except doing it with your feet.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 07:08:32 AM »
Remind me to never fly in a real plane with any of you cross-pressers! :D
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Dunmoor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:45:44 AM »
Back in AW, when the use of pedals was a new idea, this cross pressing thing came up the same way. Those that grew up in the north, riding sleds (DeadDuck was the first I heard with this preference) felt it made more sense to "push" the nose, than "pull" it. Naturally those with some flight time, or no sledding history have no problem with the standard set-up.