Author Topic: Collision: how is / should this scenario be scored?  (Read 5124 times)

Offline maus92

• Zinc Member
Collision: how is / should this scenario be scored?
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
Say for instance I am barreling in on an opponent, and overtaking from slightly above and behind.  Say said opponent decides to create an overshoot by chopping throttle and dirtying up.  I try to pull up and to the side, but my velocity vector plants my underbelly squarely into his plane.  Who gets the kill, and who is charged with the collision?  It seems to me that both parties are equally to blame - me for not detecting a change in speed, and him for creating a condition where a collision is likely to occur.  We both should die.  Where's my Nomex....?  

(I should also add that I am perspectively challenged in this game.)
(Could the range counter be modified to show distance in 10 under 400?)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:45:10 PM by maus92 »
Callsign: nag

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Collision: how is / this scenario be scored?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
and who is charged with the collision?

If there's a collision on your screen, you take damage. If there's a collision on your enemies screen, he takes damage. Game doesn't care whos "fault" it was. What you see is what YOU get, and that works this way for everyone involved.

Read THIS first: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/lag/lag.htm
Then do a forum search for "collisions", and learn why the things are the way they are.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
Re: Collision: how is / should this scenario be scored?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:56:08 PM »
Calling Tec, we need the chart!
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline maus92

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »
Yea man, thanks for the tip.  I understand about lag and how it affects my viewpoint vs. another's, but that's not really what I'm getting at.  The issue is can somebody cause a collision by their tactic, and "get away" with it? Due to lag, it seems so.  But is there are way to mitigate it? Like comparing the velocity and throttle position history of objects?  Can throttle position even be measured?

BTW, searching on "collisions" brings back 4 pages of hits around 2000 - 2001 timeframe.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:07:34 PM by maus92 »
Callsign: nag

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »
 But is there are way to mitigate it? Like comparing the velocity and throttle position history of objects?

No.

BTW, searching on collision brings back 4 pages of hits around 2000 - 2001 timeframe.

Always use "advanced search", the basic search is somewhat glitched.
When searching or "collision" just in the topic, you will get several pages of results.

Oh, and regardless what some people claim, trying to force a collision that will hurt your enemy but not yourself is not a very efficient one ;)

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »

Well i suggest that in the real world when 2 aircraft collide they both either explode or both start falling from the sky like stone's. Except in a few rare incident's where one or both have managed to get back to base. And neither get a kill from any collision.

I mean is it fair to the point that 2 aircraft collide in the air and one go's down and the other can carry on as if nothing had happened. No it isn't as in the real world when 2 aircraft collide it is 90.9 % likely they both are destroyed instantly or both pilot's have just enough time to escape. Or in a few in fact more than a few time's in WW2 both planes would go down but the poor pilots couldn't escape as their canopy's had jammed due to the collision's.

But i believe that If Ace's want's to stay true to real life as close as possible they should look into the fact that if a collision is registered then both aircraft either blow up or become unflyable. As i say it would be more realistic in that sense.

Thankyou BulletVI 
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:22:17 PM »
And sometimes, much like in life, no matter what you do poo poo just happens.  Fortunately in game we have the option of laughing and getting an instant do over or getting all twisted and bunged up over it. I choose the laughing at myself route.  Better for the attitude, morale, and overall enjoyment of the game.  Of course that's just me. :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 07:27:04 PM »
Well i suggest that in the real world when 2 aircraft collide they both either explode or both start falling from the sky like stone's. Except in a few rare incident's where one or both have managed to get back to base. And neither get a kill from any collision.

I mean is it fair to the point that 2 aircraft collide in the air and one go's down and the other can carry on as if nothing had happened. No it isn't as in the real world when 2 aircraft collide it is 90.9 % likely they both are destroyed instantly or both pilot's have just enough time to escape. Or in a few in fact more than a few time's in WW2 both planes would go down but the poor pilots couldn't escape as their canopy's had jammed due to the collision's.

But i believe that If Ace's want's to stay true to real life as close as possible they should look into the fact that if a collision is registered then both aircraft either blow up or become unflyable. As i say it would be more realistic in that sense.

Thankyou BulletVI 

And we are 100 % true to life if you both collide you both take damage. Just as in the real world if two objects occupy the same space at the same time the collide. What you are missing is that in AH both planes occupy the same space at different times, and you collide with the plane on your screen that was 100's of MS ago, hence only 1 person takes damage.

HiTech

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:43:36 PM »
Get the Pics out again Lusche.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
And we are 100 % true to life if you both collide you both take damage. Just as in the real world if two objects occupy the same space at the same time the collide. What you are missing is that in AH both planes occupy the same space at different times, and you collide with the plane on your screen that was 100's of MS ago, hence only 1 person takes damage.

HiTech

Ah yes hitech that has happened but the other night i had a full head-on collision with another player i cant remember who it was but i went down and he didn't. In fact a fellow player on vox told me that he didn't have a single piece of damage to his plane. Now from a full head-on Collision we both should have blown up instantly shouldn't we  as that would have been the correct course of action.

Now i realise that if im in the UK and he was in the US for example there is a difference of up to 5 seconds on either players screen. And i know this as i watched a film that me and a fellow Squadie filmed of a simple take-off  from the north west runway at the exact same time well almost probably there was a tenth of a second difference. Then i watched them side by side in adobe premier elements 8 then in the same software i watched them on-top of each other and there was a clear time difference.

Now i have a theory on that if its the same for a lot of players then if we do collide that the program will have picked up the collision and by the time its happened one player is now well away from the other thus since there is no immediate aircraft in close range to him/her that they don't get damaged registered or not enough damage registered. Also i believe that it has a lot  to do with the player's ping level's as i have also been in with a ping of around 700 + and had a collision and flew on with no damage. its a bit confusing to a no-brainer like me :lol  :salute      
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »
Ah yes hitech that has happened but the other night i had a full head-on collision with another player i cant remember who it was but i went down and he didn't. In fact a fellow player on vox told me that he didn't have a single piece of damage to his plane. Now from a full head-on Collision we both should have blown up instantly shouldn't we  as that would have been the correct course of action.

Now i realise that if im in the UK and he was in the US for example there is a difference of up to 5 seconds on either players screen. And i know this as i watched a film that me and a fellow Squadie filmed of a simple take-off  from the north west runway at the exact same time well almost probably there was a tenth of a second difference. Then i watched them side by side in adobe premier elements 8 then in the same software i watched them on-top of each other and there was a clear time difference.

Now i have a theory on that if its the same for a lot of players then if we do collide that the program will have picked up the collision and by the time its happened one player is now well away from the other thus since there is no immediate aircraft in close range to him/her that they don't get damaged registered or not enough damage registered. Also i believe that it has a lot  to do with the player's ping level's as i have also been in with a ping of around 700 + and had a collision and flew on with no damage. its a bit confusing to a no-brainer like me :lol  :salute      

Your not getting it.  YOU "had a full head-on collision with another player".  He didn't.  Otherwise, he would have taken damage too.

HiTech                                   

I would also be willing to bet that 90+% of damage taken in nose to nose "collisions" are more the result of getting HO'd.

Can anyone make an animated .gif from a .wmv?  I have the film that Lusche posted a while back with both pilot's perspectives superimposed on one another.  It would be a simple visual that would open alot of eyes I think.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »

While my own pics are very informative and nicely illustrating the collision modeling in AH, TEC's illustration is simply the best there is:

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
I just wanted to point out that the glitch in the BBS search is not just with basic search - the advanced search is not working properly either. I think we should lighten up on deriding people for not searching, particularly new people.

Offline doleboy

• Copper Member
      • mushrooms
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile