Author Topic: tons of crashes to desktop  (Read 1254 times)

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
Re: tons of crashes to desktop
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 02:09:01 AM »
Tons of people CTD's in the scenario today.

Might have something to do with the clouds like in the films crashing, thats just what i think

I had no issues in the scenario, but I wasn't in Orange 30 minutes and my PC crashed.. BUT I got a small error message this time saying aceshigh.exe had failed or something along those lines. I couldn't expand the details as the whole system locks up. I wish it was just a CTD.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 06:05:53 AM »
The particular crash bug being discussed here has to do with the Windows 7 64 bit version of the operating system.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »
Count me in on these crashes..
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline denniswilha

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
Think I'm going to cancel both subscriptions I have for me and my son, this has gotten ridiculous, crashes to desktop, freezes, and discoes. I'm tired of giving you guys $30 a month to sit and drink coffee and dohnuts. :furious

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 06:04:24 PM »
Think I'm going to cancel both subscriptions I have for me and my son, this has gotten ridiculous, crashes to desktop, freezes, and discoes. I'm tired of giving you guys $30 a month to sit and drink coffee and dohnuts. :furious

Thats fairly presumptuous, don't ya think?

Frankly, what little contact I've had with Skuzzy has done nothing but instill me with the highest confidence that he is ALWAYS going above and beyond the call of duty.

This is a new and consequently complex situation that I'm sure will be remedied asap!

Coffee and donuts indeed!  :rolleyes:
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline denniswilha

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 12:44:53 PM »
No disrespect intended, just very aggrivated. I'm sure in time the bugs will be worked out, just seems to happen in a perk plane or right as you line up on a bomb run.
 :pray

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 06:59:22 AM »
Are you getting a crash dump (or mini dump) ?
do a search for *.dmp and check the time stamp if it matches the time stamp of the AH crash, compress the file and attache it to the thread, I will take a look at it to see what it shows...

HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »
I have a difficult time with the generic terminology used.

Crash to desktop:  Ok, there are multiple types of these.  A silent drop to the desktop, sometimes precipitated by "Losing UDP, switching to TCP".  A hard crash, where the Windows dialog panel pops up, "blah has encountered a problem and must shutdown".

Freezes/Pauses/Stutters: These three terms are not the same.  "Freezes" means the computer had to be rebooted to get control back.  "Pauses" are very long stutters where the game continues to run, but in spurts with long delays between the spurts of activity.  "Stutters" are short, jerky motions in the graphics.  All three can be caused by a multitude of things.  Resource limits in the computer, CPU activity outside the game (background processes), inconsistent network activity from outside the local network and so on.  Basically it all boils down to the CPU being too busy to handle the game.
In addition, hard locks/freezes could be heat or power related.  While this all sounds like I am trying to say it is not game code related, I am just stating the most obvious issues.  If it were game code related, every user, regardless of the computer would have these issues.  I know for a fact, most players do not have these issues.

Discos:  A soft disco is always preceded by "Losing UDP, switching to TCP" message.  This is the game notifying you your network connection is dropping packets somewhere between you and the server.  Too many dropped packets and the game aborts right back to the desktop.
A hard disco occurs without a message and still leaves you at the desktop with no other error message.  It is usually best to run A Ping Plot (www.pingplotter.com) to 206.16.60.38 to see if the connection will show where the packets are being lost.  You need to run it for a few minutes and as fast as you can after a disco in order to obtain meaningful results.
If you do not see any lost packets, then there is a far chance the problem is resource related where your computer could not service a network request in a timely manner.

Most people will overestimate what their computer is capable of doing.  You can have the fastest CPU in the world, but if you are running 200 background processes, it is going to be resource starved and run the game poorly.  Flight sims need CPU time, more so than any other type of game, as modeling flight is very, very CPU intensive.

In order for us to be able to resolve issues, we need accurate data.  I can ask all the questions to point you in the right direction so we can get an assessment of problems anyone may be experiencing, but it would be really helpful if we could start upfront with some common ground, as far as the description of what problem any person may be having.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 07:03:48 AM »
In order for us to be able to resolve issues, we need accurate data. 

What other information can I give you? Let me know..
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!