Author Topic: Young Players  (Read 4514 times)

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
Re: Young Players
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2010, 07:58:27 PM »
ya, xbox live is just very foul, quite a bit of racism too.  Don't play much on there, but when I do, it is without the headset.  Of course with xbox and the huge subscription base, it's probably near pointless to even attempt to moderate.  At least in AH there is some moderation from both developers and community.  This would be a good situation for perma squelch, to take care of the rest.

So, now after you get your perma-squelch feature, what will be the next "we need whine"? A seperate "warn me buffer" so all the people you perma-squelched have a way to tell you theres a tank hiding in the weeds or theres 10 flights of buffs headed to your base?

Naw, we don't need anymore nanny care features. A majority of the people in here are pretty decent folks. This community does a pretty good job of getting down on ill behavior anyways. This game is tame compared to the every day events that happen just leaving your house and heading on into work. The only time ive ever seen kids get reamed is when they are going out of their way to be annoying. Shooting smoke at other team mates, continuously firing thier pintle gun, or anything else for that matter, at thier team mates, driving in circles around thier team mates vehicles continuously, the list goes on. The parents who are supposed to be watching them need to step up and put a stop to this before it comes to some guy blowing his stack. I would prefer that there was some way to let the parents know that there little angel needs to go sit in the corner for a while.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2010, 08:08:59 PM »
The only time ive ever seen kids get reamed is when they are going out of their way to be annoying. Shooting smoke at other team mates, continuously firing thier pintle gun, or anything else for that matter, at thier team mates, driving in circles around thier team mates vehicles continuously, the list goes on.

hey i do those things now and i have not lived at home for over 20 years. i guess my mom needs to be over while i play AH.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
OK, now I'm going to be specificly targeting the panzers and M4's that are throwing smoke randomly across the battlefield. I may also investigate the smoke untill you cipher out a pattern and use this to ambush me.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2010, 11:45:14 PM »
We're all responsible for what we say and do.  There are no 'slips", in particular in type, but also on VOX.   My oldest son started flying with me in Airwarrior.  He probably knew more about the planes then most of the players based on all the books at his disposal.  He was a Luftwheenie, but I didn't hold it against him :)  He made the transition to AH and I still have films of flying with him in this game.  No reason we shouldn't get to share this with them if they are interested.

Expecting players to be responsible for their actions and respectful of those around them is not asking to much.

Some day my little guy will up a cartoon plane for the first time.  No doubt like his big brother he'll be a far better cartoon pilot then his dad.  I look forward to that day.

Seems like we'd want to pass this on to our kids if for no other reason then to learn a bit of history around the airwar we pretend to fly.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2010, 11:47:44 PM »
We're all responsible for what we say and do.  There are no 'slips", in particular in type, but also on VOX.   My oldest son started flying with me in Airwarrior.  He probably knew more about the planes then most of the players based on all the books at his disposal.  He was a Luftwheenie, but I didn't hold it against him :)  He made the transition to AH and I still have films of flying with him in this game.  No reason we shouldn't get to share this with them if they are interested.

Expecting players to be responsible for their actions and respectful of those around them is not asking to much.

Some day my little guy will up a cartoon plane for the first time.  No doubt like his big brother he'll be a far better cartoon pilot then his dad.  I look forward to that day.

Seems like we'd want to pass this on to our kids if for no other reason then to learn a bit of history around the airwar we pretend to fly.

:aok  absolutely!
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »
So, now after you get your perma-squelch feature, what will be the next "we need whine"? A seperate "warn me buffer" so all the people you perma-squelched have a way to tell you theres a tank hiding in the weeds or theres 10 flights of buffs headed to your base?

That's a choice you make when you squelch someone.  You give up any tactical info they might give you.  You don't see people calling for a separate 'warn me buffer' with the current squelch system, right?  Permasquelch wouldn't be anything different than the current system other than you wouldn't have to refresh it every time you noticed the person.

I just don't see a reason not to do it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »
maybe a bad choice of wording on my part, Money.... good to see ya btw  :cheers:

Good to see ewe as well! 

What email is best to contact you at?

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »

We already have the squelch feature.  The "perma squelch list" would just make using it easier.

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
Well perma-squelch I can see some problems with that. Lets say you we're the Co of a squad a big one with 30people or more. Then theres someone you just don't like or wanna listen to. He tells other people in the Cos squad to unsquelch me. The Co hears this from other people. He had enough so he tells everybody to perma squelch that person then others do. Until probably all his friends perma-squelched him. Then he quits the game. That looses people on the game and makes people very sad. When all you half to do the next day is fix the problem and be friends. If you don't do this by the time the perma squelch reaches half a dozen people it's unfixible. Those people will have you squelched forever and always. Like money said it just makes squelching easyer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:36:57 PM by stealth »
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »
Stealth, the main reason I squelch people is because I like to hear whats driving up on me. Its really hard to do if you have some guy Howard Coselling every thing they do in their tank over the range channel. Some guys will jibber jabber ya till your ears start bleeding. Half the time what they are rambling on about has nothing to do with the current situation. If I squelch somebody its because they probably are on their 3rd pitcher of koolaide and cant control the sugar buzz.

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2010, 11:27:15 PM »
Well perma-squelch I can see some problems with that. Lets say you we're the Co of a squad a big one with 30people or more. Then theres someone you just don't like or wanna listen to. He tells other people in the Cos squad to unsquelch me. The Co hears this from other people. He had enough so he tells everybody to perma squelch that person then others do. Until probably all his friends perma-squelched him. Then he quits the game. That looses people on the game and makes people very sad. When all you half to do the next day is fix the problem and be friends. If you don't do this by the time the perma squelch reaches half a dozen people it's unfixible. Those people will have you squelched forever and always. Like money said it just makes squelching easyer.

If this is your example of how such a great tool would be a problem for a squad's CO, I would say that CO is basically teaching a 13th grade class and has many other issues to contend with besides "perma squelch".

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »
If this is your example of how such a great tool would be a problem for a squad's CO, I would say that CO is basically teaching a 13th grade class and has many other issues to contend with besides "perma squelch".

:rofl  :aok
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2010, 03:42:11 AM »
Well honestly whats the point of perma squelch. Unless the guy has a major issue with someone squelching you like the end of the world. With in a day or at most a week the guy wouldn't remember your name. If you squelch him once he probably knows you'll do it again so he just won't bother. Also if your just squelching a guy because of his voice or he talks allot. Theres no real reason to perma squelch in that case eather.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2010, 09:52:16 AM »
Stealth-  Why is squelching someone because their voice annoys you or more importantly, the amount and volume of their speaking is messing with your chi with regards to operating your plane not valid?  That seems to me to be the best reason to squelch.

For me, I don't really care what the guy thinks about it, I don't think I've ever even announced 'I'm squelching you.' because frankly it's not important to me to tell them.  The reason I squelch people most of the time is in line with Jamdive's.  If I can't hear my squaddies or most of the other sounds in my plane over someone, I squelch.  The people I've noticed do it tend to do it habitually.  What is permasquelch harming in that case?

Sometimes, there are people who seem like all they ever do is talk the same, uninspired crap on 200.  I have no real desire to listen to some of them because they're just plain boring.  If someone's sole contribution to 200 is 'nice ho/pick/vulch' every single time they're shot down, where's the harm if I want to have their voice cease to exist in my world?

Again, the people who make me wish for this feature generally speaking aren't harmful exactly, aren't breaking any rules, they're just either too prolific in their use of range vox or they're just plain boring.  My point is, they aren't going to change, they shouldn't even necessarily have to change.  I just don't want to listen to them because either the useful stuff they might mention is at a 1:100 signal to noise ratio, or I've never heard them say anything useful.

It's not about them, it's about me.  I just don't see a reason not to have this feature.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2010, 10:24:16 AM »
As a customer just like everyone else on here I pay my monthly fee.  That being said I have the right to allow my 7 year old son play. I know that squeakers annoy people and that is fine.  What I do not appreciate is people dropping the F bomb at my son. You pay your fees as I do, but who the heck are you to think you have the right to use your foul mouth to give my son a hard time?  I am speaking of few people who have done this to my son and I am not at all to happy about it. Lets try growing up and acting your age. Please do not do this again to any of our young players who share our interest.  You do not own the game, the arenas or the radio channels.  If need be try squelching, that is why its there, otherwise lay off.  I am guilty of using not such nice words sometimes in the heat of the moment, but to blatantly attach a child like this is an unacceptable act.  I am sure someone will reply with a negative post and tell me why I am wrong for posting this.  Lets try for once to let a series post stay that way and get some results and not negative waves.  To all those who respect this post  :salute

No you do not

http://www.hitechcreations.com/frindex.html

Rule #1

I'm not saying you are wrong for posting this, just saying that the first statement is false.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.