Author Topic: Why Score is a Joke...  (Read 3414 times)

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
Why Score is a Joke...
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »
I have been playing this game 6 months. Prior to playing AH, I played Warbirds for 2 months. I had zero prior experience to flight sims. I am currently ranked 11th in the game. This is not a brag, but is testament to the fact that score...does not matter. All it took on my part (for attack/bomber/gv) was to go out and look up how to manipulate my stats so that my rank would get pushed low. This was mostly an experiment on my part and I am telling you this because of two reasons.

First. For all the weirdos out there that always use the "Your score is a joke, and you suck..." reasoning on Channel 200 you need to readjust your argument. If some 6 month noob can manipulate the score to be ranked 11th it shows that rank/score does not matter.

Second. The scoring system is broke. I have no suggestions at this point other than...get rid of ranks-keep the stats. Stats are interesting to look at and shows you which areas to improve in. Ranks/Score seems to lead to what is commonly referred to as score whoring. I found myself guilty of this yesterday (I stole a kill from someone...something I usually do not do). We are all human, and as humans we like to compete. When it comes right down to it score serves no purpose other than for idiots to brag about it on Ch200...and less than desirable flying behavior by some pilots.

That is all...flame away.

Papa
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:16:02 AM by papjohns »
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
Re: Why Score is a Joke...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »
We have scores?
Im not worried about getting my name on the front page as much as im worried about staying up in my cartoon plane so i can get back to base and get the cartoon girl and give her cartoon stockings ! :angel: :devil
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:17:08 AM »
[/b] that score...does not matter.[/b]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:D

snip

The impact of scores on gameplay is usually vastly overestimated.

Most of those that use the "I have better rank than you" argument don't really have a very "impressing" rank to begin with.

And most of the talking about scores & ranks in game or on this BBS is made by players claiming they do not care about score at all. At least three times a day ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:27:04 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »
Hold your rank until the end of the month if you think its so easy.  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:18:52 AM »
You dont have a better rank than me......  ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:20:45 AM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:22:29 AM »
I agree. They need to make some catagories weigh more than others.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »
I agree. They need to make some catagories weigh more than others.

And what would that change or improve?

Offline dev1ant

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
This isn't exactly breaking news, most players discover this very quickly.
Deviant

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
I have been playing this game 6 months. Prior to playing AH, I played Warbirds for 2 months. I had zero prior experience to flight sims. I am currently ranked 11th in the game. This is not a brag, but is testament to the fact that score...does not matter. All it took on my part (for attack/bomber/gv) was to go out and look up how to manipulate my stats so that my rank would get pushed low. This was mostly an experiment on my part and I am telling you this because of two reasons.

First. For all the weirdos out there that always use the "Your score is a joke, and you suck..." reasoning on Channel 200 you need to readjust your argument. If some 6 month noob can manipulate the score to be ranked 11th it shows that rank/score does not matter.

Second. The scoring system is broke. I have no suggestions at this point other than...get rid of ranks-keep the stats. Stats are interesting to look at and shows you which areas to improve in. Ranks/Score seems to lead to what is commonly referred to as score whoring. I found myself guilty of this yesterday (I stole a kill from someone...something I usually do not do). We are all human, and as humans we like to compete. When it comes right down to it score serves no purpose other than for idiots to brag about it on Ch200...and less than desirable flying behavior by some pilots.

That is all...flame away.

Papa

pretty decent post.  :aok

i like the idea of getting rid of the scores, and keeping stats, for the reasons you state.

generally, you can tell another pile-its skill within 2 turns. i've been shot down(with ease) by guys with piss poor scores, and had guys that rank in the top 10 struggle to shoot me down. i consider myself on the low side of average, as far as cartoon dogfighting is concerned.

you missed one result of the scoring system too......that is timid flying.

in lw pink the other night, i knew the fight was high, so i climbed to about 19k. found a p-47 there, who immediately inned on me. i tried to get him to fight uphill, as that's the way my plane likes to fight......but it went downhill. managed to keep speed down, and finally got him, at around 10k alt.
 as i leveled out to regain speed, i saw a corsair my 6 high, about 5k out. at first it looked like he was coming for me, and i played stupid like i didn't see him. he refused to come down. talk about timid.....he never even did a bnz pass.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »
The impact of scores on gameplay is usually vastly overestimated.

Most of those that use the "I have better rank than you" argument don't really have a very "impressing" rank to begin with.

And most of the talking about scores & ranks in game or on this BBS is made by players claiming they do not care about score at all. At least three times a day ;)

Says #2.  :D

I view score as a way to gauge my own progress and improvement.  I don't have the time or energy to try and maintain a high score.  But I can see if my aim is improving or I'm averaging more damage in my bombers.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:26:03 AM »

:rofl  You mean there aint no gold up in dem nar hills?  

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:28:40 AM »
Says #2.  :D

:D

It's still early  in the tour... and with more and more player getting base captures, my rank will drop and drop, because I don't dig boring goon flights ;)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
my rank would get pushed low.

High!

high number = low rank
low number = high rank

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »

Discovery was not the purpose of the post, the recommendation is.
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:30:33 AM »
Was just thinking the same papajohns, I was really proud of my score last month up until when a guy with 78 deaths and 18 kills and a solid 3 months playing kicked my azzz, he really outurned outclassed me.  there's lots of people that never rank higher than 500 that I wish I had 1/2 the skill they have.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.