Author Topic: Why Score is a Joke...  (Read 3415 times)

Offline milesobrian

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Why Score is a Joke...
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »
get rid of score and rank keep the recording of various stats....the only idiots who care about score are insecure idiots who probably have never won at anything in their life....

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »
I've been around this game longer than most in here.  The reason I've lasted is because I accepted the fact long ago that I will never be the best cartoon gamer pilot with the highest overall score.  (I also like a large variety of planes and vehicles. This fact has helped keep me interested longer).

Ive watched the hot shots come and go like leaves on a tree.  Every spring you get a new crop of hot shot leaves who invariably spend every waking hour staying on the top of the monthly tour list and end up burning out, drying up, and falling off the tree.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline jododger

• Copper Member
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2010, 11:37:16 AM »
get rid of score and rank keep the recording of various stats....the only idiots who care about score are insecure idiots who probably have never won at anything in their life....
If every time someone got a kill they got a blue ribbon and you don't care about blue ribbons, why do you care if someone has a blue ribbon?
Dodger
It's about the fight.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2010, 11:57:50 AM »
I take my rank in the DA seriously.  :D
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline jododger

• Copper Member
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »
I take my rank in the DA seriously.  :D
I wouldn't claim a rank that bad if I was you.   :rofl :rofl

Hey raider ill be there tonight
Dodger
It's about the fight.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
On any given day anyone can be shot down. On any given day anyone can shoot someone down. The trick is to learn something from your mistakes and take advantage of other's mistakes.

.... and have fun doing it.

Last night I shot someone down in a 190. I turned and zoomed by him. As I did he flipped over tailess and shot my pilot.  :lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2010, 01:17:04 PM »
While I understand your point Vinkman, I disagree completely that it has less to do with ACM than gunnery.  They are taking those shots because they are in a familiar position to do so.  That position was achieved through their SA and ACM simultaneously...from the films I've watched of my own demise at their hands.  Their gunnery skills throw them all over the top...its like dating...it doesnt matter if you have a huge johnson (gunnery skills), if you can't talk to a girl (ACM) and know what she's thinking (SA) you aint getting any.  But at least you have a huge *&^*%&%$^....you can go to the house with all by your lonesome.

V/r

Changeup

:lol love the analogy Change. I agree in the 1 v 1s it's less obvious, because shots are taken at close range after great ACM has got him in great position. But watch one of Kazaa's "11 kills on one ammo load" sorties in a Ki-84 in a furball and you realize that the definition of good firing position is greatly expanded because of his markmanship. I watched that one, and it seemed like every bullet that came out of his gun barrels hit an enemy plane. And many were blind high deflection shots. When you can shoot like that it isn't a furball for very long, and your K/D and score piles up quickly. I think the term Grizz used was "efficiency". So I think their scores are an accurate representation of the their skills, and smarts. But to come back to the point of the thread, people can game the scoring system because the game doesn't know an amazing kill from vulching a dead stick c-47. So statistical rank isn't the definition of skill, but in may well be that the most highly skilled have high rankings.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »
:lol love the analogy Change. I agree in the 1 v 1s it's less obvious, because shots are taken at close range after great ACM has got him in great position. But watch one of Kazaa's "11 kills on one ammo load" sorties in a Ki-84 in a furball and you realize that the definition of good firing position is greatly expanded because of his markmanship. I watched that one, and it seemed like every bullet that came out of his gun barrels hit an enemy plane. And many were blind high deflection shots. When you can shoot like that it isn't a furball for very long, and your K/D and score piles up quickly. I think the term Grizz used was "efficiency". So I think their scores are an accurate representation of the their skills, and smarts. But to come back to the point of the thread, people can game the scoring system because the game doesn't know an amazing kill from vulching a dead stick c-47. So statistical rank isn't the definition of skill, but in may well be that the most highly skilled have high rankings.

100% Agreement.  

I have never spoken directly to any of the real good pilots in this game about this particular statement so it may be wrong, but, because I am a gambler of epic proportion I will say it:  I don't think any of them actually care about their scores as far as being useful to measure their skills....BUT, they may use specific indicators to measure improvement on specific skill sets that they have targeted as important....I believe they find the overall score/rank as midly ridiculous.  Most of them have too much class to ridicule it in public forums because they have too much respect for the game and the people that developed it AND because in any game there has to be a score to determine the outcome of the contest.  To use as a determinant of skill?  Phooey.

Again, Dodger said it best....its about the fight.  The score is incidental.  After all...they guy that graduates last in his med school class is still called DOCTOR.

V/r

Changeup

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:32:48 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2010, 02:17:11 PM »
100% Agreement.  

I have never spoken directly to any of the real good pilots in this game about this particular statement so it may be wrong, but, because I am a gambler of epic proportion I will say it:  I don't think any of them actually care about their scores as far as being useful to measure their skills....BUT, they may use specific indicators to measure improvement on specific skill sets that they have targeted as important....I believe they find the overall score/rank as midly ridiculous.  Most of them have too much class to ridicule it in public forums because they have too much respect for the game and the people that developed it AND because in any game there has to be a score to determine the outcome of the contest.  To use as a determinant of skill?  Phooey.

Again, Dodger said it best....its about the fight.  The score is incidental.  After all...they guy that graduates last in his med school class is still called DOCTOR.

V/r

Changeup

:aok
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »

Again, Dodger said it best....its about the fight.  

Flying a cartoon through a furball with four 20mm cannon blasting everything that passes through your line of fire, managing to jiggle and wiggle in between just enough to not get plastered by the dozen or so other cartoon giants blazing through the same furball with their 4x20s doing exactly the same thing.  Ahh yes, the fight!

:cheers:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline jododger

• Copper Member
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
Flying a cartoon through a furball with four 20mm cannon blasting everything that passes through your line of fire, managing to jiggle and wiggle in between just enough to not get plastered by the dozen or so other cartoon giants blazing through the same furball with their 4x20s doing exactly the same thing.  Ahh yes, the fight!

:cheers:
That is in no way shape or form my definition of a fight. (but I think you knew that)
Dodger
It's about the fight.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »
When your gv is looking at a tiger 88 levelled at you or the guy on your 6 just chopped your wing off, seems score doesn't matter too much. It's just an awwwww shoot  moment before you re-up. 
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2010, 01:48:27 PM »
Score is a joke ? You mean I have been doing all of this and that for nothing ?
 :noid
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2010, 03:59:13 PM »
Skill over score for sure. I watched History channel interview a dive-bomber SBD pilot who killed three Zero's in a single fight with all three trying to out turn him. The rugged durability of the SBD was key as his wing tip cut through the wing tank of the last nip trying to Kammekazee ram him in desperation. In this game as well, I've seen cartoon pilots fly that old junker better than most could fly a spit16. practice practice practice and learn from it.  :rock
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2010, 10:55:41 PM »
100% Agreement.  

Again, Dodger said it best....its about the fight.  The score is incidental.  After all...they guy that graduates last in his med school class is still called DOCTOR.

V/r

Changeup

This is how a few of us feel.   Good post Change.   :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC