Author Topic: The F2B has a tail gun  (Read 1563 times)

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
The F2B has a tail gun
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:49:31 PM »
There have been a number of posts about flying all the available aircraft in the WWI arena...though all = 4, there is some diversity.  The point of most of those posts is that folks tend to fly the DR because it is generally the most successful plane in the arena.  It is not easy to compete in the other fm's, though some people do with some measure of success.  Each of the fm's is pretty different from the others.  The gist of most of the posts is that if everyone stays in the DR, then everyone will have to stay in the DR and there will be little diversity - and those liking the other planes for historic reasons or whatever, will generally always be at a disadvantage to a group of DR's.

A few pilots try to fly all the planes...most do not.  That is of course everyone's choice, and not a problem from here.

I have had two nights more or less troubled by comments when flying an F2B, and using the tail gun.  Don't use it a lot and don't fly to get set up to use it, but then, there is nothing wrong if someone does use it as that plane did have that gun and gunner.  If you get behind the F2B...simple, duck away and you'll be fine.

Interesting that these comments came from several of the highest ranked pilots while flying their DR...

I have a bias.  Have flown WWI sims for a lot of years.  Have never thought folks should dictate a special morality in the arena, particularly if that "rule" particularly benefited their view of things and was not based on any historic perspective or any sort of "gaming" the game.  For instance, the F2B has a tail gun.  In real times it had a tail gun.  The gun had ammunition and I'm pretty sure it's intend was to protect the plane.

We are most of us in the WWI arena older guys, way past enjoying hassles while we are having a good time.  So...rather than ruin a good night in the arena with a derogatory comment about shooting the tail gun on an F2B made toward a pilot who has almost equal time in each of the 4 planes...here is a much better place to get it out.  

Why is this a problem?  Why do you feel compelled to say negative stuff...

One  

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:52:05 PM by onerka »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: The F2B has a tail gun
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »
They bit on that hook and you reeled them in.  They should be civil, or keep their yappers shut.  Fly on my friend! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
One of the things I eventually learned - dont doggedly follow the F2B - it took some time (I is not the smart)

Dont worry about em, if they complain, your doing something right.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
I hear you onerka.  The best you can do is ignore it.  

As far as the Dr1 goes we just have to suffer the little tie fighter beast until they either FIX the F1s structural weakness or add in better faster more powerful rides to nullify the Dr1 in its true context.  

AFAIC, I cant tell you emphatically enough what a fun killer it is for me to tangle with a Dr1 or D7 in my F1 and to actually keep up with them and manage come close to turning the tables only to have the damned wings peel off my F1.  To add insult to injury the opponent gets the kill after I suffer the indignity of having to ride the useless carcass all the way to the ground.

I really feel there is a great possibility there with WW1.  
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:15:40 PM »
I try to be nice about it (Over text/voice anyways  :P ) but I do try to steer people away from using the gun in the way they use it.  I fly the F2 almost exclusively since day 1 of WWI (started using D7 a little lately) but I try not to use the gunner in the way most use it for a few reasons.

1) I suck at aiming it (how you people get good I'll never know).
2) We all like to have fun right? Right.  Where's the fun for others to fight an F2 cruising along at 135mph shooting his tail gun at every passerby?  This is where I try to get people to not use the gunner and show them the fun of fighting with the plane.  Win-win assuming they aren't absolutely stubborn about it and never want to leave that gunner.
3) Where's the fun (honestly) in flying straight shooting at a con on your 6 when one simple act of going under you will get you killed over and over?  I don't mind dieing, but with as often/easily as the gunner people die it's gotta be old right? (Maybe not, how would I now)
4) That blasted gun is always the first thing to get damaged so even if I tried to use it I can't.

Now I can understand using the gunner to defend yourself in uneven odds, or where you are missing parts, or even if you make some maneuvers take a few shots in gunner while in a loop or something then go back to fighting.  The people who "whine" about gunners tend to be whining about the ones who don't do anything but up and jump into every fight with some very poor ho-merges then go into gunning over and over even if the fight was already 3v1 in their favor.

Honestly I don't mind gunner most times because they never realize I can go below/behind them and use my own gunner on them.  It's the people flying 2K above everyone else and jumping into 1v1s (or anything over 1v1 in their favor) and taking HO-shots every single merge that get me a bit annoyed.  But honestly, we'll never get rid of things we don't like so what do we do?  Whine, some more then others.

But on the other hand, I can understand gunners, maybe they can't fly as well and this is their way of having fun.  I just try to get them to see the other side of the fun. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline dog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 01:24:20 PM »
X dog fights the f2b like no other. He will smack down a Camule 1v1. He will make your Dr1 stall like a beotch. He eats D7's like jelly beans.... And he will loop an opposing f2b in to the ground....  Tail gunning can get a little gamey at times. Truly depends on the guy behind the stick.   :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :cheers: :rock :salute :salute
in game ID  WormZ1La

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
Now, is tailgunning in a F2B totally gamey if you have a gunner riding along?
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline dog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:32:57 PM »
Now, is tailgunning in a F2B totally gamey if you have a gunner riding along?

No .... it's really funny watching the tail gunner trying to shoot you in a hard loop... gamey if they get the kill cause you augered laffin!

Gamey to me is, the guy starts to dogfight the f2b... gets u in a hard loop then jumps in back seat at the bottom of his loop and face shoots you as his plane insta levels.....  having a guy in back seat as gunner I'm all for! Makes fro a great fight!
in game ID  WormZ1La

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »
no more gamey that only attacking when you have a sure kill, but then it is called tactics.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »
meh...I enjoy shooting down F2bs as much as any other plane.  It can be a real challenge if the guy(s) are any good.  Also, I enjoy flying them, and GASP!!!!! manning the gun.

The only problem I have with the rear gun is when you bring a gunner along he can rotate the gun through my pilot view, through my virtual head.  Can be very discombobulating.

Camel F1
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 01:44:35 PM »
If they are dumb enough to attack you from high or level astern and fly a straight path to you they deserve a face full of lead.

The F2B can be a tough opponent if flown well, and if there are two people in it who know what they are doing look out.

Best thing I can suggest is the (.squelch players name) command. Works like a charm.  :aok
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline dog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »
There really not that hard to shoot down. Even with a good stick flying it. Its a great plane to up and out fly peeps in other planes. To me it's about the fight .... not so much the kill... :joystick:
in game ID  WormZ1La

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »
From what I've seen over the few months WW1 has been around the F2B is a plane for people who have no grasp of the angles and geometry of a fight(or they're afraid to show it). From what I remember there's only 1 or 2 F2B pilots who actually fly acceptable angles, I think Xcelsior is one of them. An aggressive dogfighting stick in an F2 can give me some trouble in a D7 while in a turnfight, in a flat turn an F2 will actually out turn a D7 and is faster. Generally speaking though, a typical fight vs. an F2B in my D7 consists of them coming in head on guns blazing and then switching to the rear gun firing away as I pass. And they continue doing this for about 5 mins until they get bored, run out of ammo or make a silly mistake. Then after 5 mins of head on attacks, rear gun luck shots and running away they say good fight!LOL.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
in a flat turn an F2 will actually out turn a D7 and is faster.
Once in a flat turn merry go round with a F2 how would the D7 then get out of that flat turn cycle and get guns on the F2b?

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 07:23:44 PM »
If you turn a few circles with the F2 without realizing it or taking action you should be toast if the F2 is a good shot. However, if you catch it right away you can just make a hard turn out of it if you're on the deck. Lets say you get into a counter clockwise turn, if you make a sharp turn to the right early enough(before you go even one circle around) you shouldn't have much of a problem. If you wait after a full circle and then turn sharp right the F2(or whatever you're fighting really) will get a quick snap shot, it just depends on whether or not he can hit it. As far as the D7 getting guns on the F2, that varies with every fight, there's really no one magical move after you get out of the flat turn. One thing to remember though is that the F2, from my experiences flying it, has a terrible roll rate.