Author Topic: The F2B has a tail gun  (Read 1557 times)

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
Re: The F2B has a tail gun
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 08:09:17 AM »
Great thread and some interesting points of view :salute Not altogether dissimilar to recent discussions re the Dr1, although as already mentioned in this case the F2b was a formidable beasty while the dr1 (in reality) was more of a one trick pony. So I can see an argument against the current Dr1 while the F2b seems like a fair representation. Xcelsior and 1701E fly the thing well and rarely resort to the rear gun.... I shudder to think of taking them on if they had someone with a good eye in the back seat. As for those doing the standard driving and gunning thing, I'd imagine their antics would fairly replicate those of many real world F2b's (or similar two seaters) back in the day, so I'm ok with it. Accurate shooting does seem more the norm than I would have expected from the rear gun, I certainly can't hit anything with it so I just have to give credit for some very good shooting. Anyway good luck to 'em, the place is crawling with talent these days and I don't see why that particular skill is any less valid than aerial ballet.

For what it's worth, I think the best way to take out an F2b is 2v1, probably the way it was done for real also. As for multiple F2b's, for some reason on such occassions my Camel gets thirsty and it's rtb time - a refreshing drink, change of undies and possibly even a change of country  :bolt:

"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline meandog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 10:48:38 AM »
ok...i know i haven't been in the air much lately. however...while in the camel and up against Xcelsior and Worm in a F2b is certain death for me. They never use rear gunner, they simply outfly my camel. If they where to put a man in the rear gun they would only die from there own mistakes like hitting a tree or something. Not sure what the argument is on this post anymore but with a good stik in a F2b is a deadly combo. Sure there is a rear gunner and if the pilots wants to try it so be it...that's what's it's there for.

The way i see it is if i am close enuf for him to jump to rear guns and kill me then i must be close enuf to kill him first. If I let him have the angle knowing that there is a possibility that the rear gun will get me then I the one that scewed up. Sure everyone gets a lucky PW shot every now and then. It happens to and from everyone.

We have all these complaints about what this bird will do and the other wont. I get kills in all of em and die in all of em just like the others. My suggestion could be that if your dieing alot in a particular bird then either change to another or get better in the one ya in. I will tell anyone that b4 you can get alot of kills in a certain plane you have to die in it alot first. Just be thankfull that we are in a game and not real life.

So now...whoever wants to bash on that be my guest....just remember...for each bashing I expect to meet ya in the air to settle it...lol

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 12:07:02 PM »
Need some more rides in there.  Need some more targets....some bombers, some blimps, Observation balloons.....give us trenches with little doughboys and pointy headed Germans to strafe.  Heck...how about some of the early tanks to drive around in -plugging away at each other.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline dog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
Need some more rides in there.  Need some more targets....some bombers, some blimps, Observation balloons.....give us trenches with little doughboys and pointy headed Germans to strafe.  Heck...how about some of the early tanks to drive around in -plugging away at each other.

WTG Yeager!!  You turned this thread into a wish list!! The pilots need to be able to hop out of their downed planes and pistol duel each other.... think frog was yappin about that the other day. And a map with just two country's. Can that be done?
in game ID  WormZ1La

Offline meandog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 05:43:46 PM »
A map with just 2 countries would be great!!!  Can keep 2 airfields for each. Would be crazy if ya could ditch right outside cons field and run up to where there taking off and shoot em down while they lo taking off...hehe...how the griping would take away on that.

Offline dog1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 01:08:05 AM »
A map with just 2 countries would be great!!!  Can keep 2 airfields for each. Would be crazy if ya could ditch right outside cons field and run up to where there taking off and shoot em down while they lo taking off...hehe...how the griping would take away on that.

Well of course then we'd have to have manable guns on the perimeter.......   And two nice towns so we can fly through the streets, like the mad men we are.
in game ID  WormZ1La

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »
,,,,,if we are gonna turn this thread into a wishlist thread......I would be in favor of adding a WWI Motorcycle with side car and machine gun.

Now that would be fun. No way that evil Meandog is gonna get away from my machine gun.  :rofl

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
,,,,,if we are gonna turn this thread into a wishlist thread......I would be in favor of adding a WWI Motorcycle with side car and machine gun.

Now that would be fun. No way that evil Meandog is gonna get away from my machine gun.  :rofl

(Image removed from quote.)
He looks so serious, though the vehicle is so comical in looks!  :rofl
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
F2b'ing is serious business for some. Seems like every time I get behind one I get damaged....
ie. PW, fuel leak, motor oil, or lose something else that disables my plane.

My favorite tactic is a shallow dive from above and try to wound the pilot.
On the next pass if I manage to keep my E,
is go up from underneath and spray the pilot area real good.
F2b's can take allot of damage, but the cockpit is definitely
the choice area to aim at.

<S>
Mano

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
LOL...with Mano on this one.  Across too many years and various wwi sims we have wished for the bike with a side car...machine gun.  It would go almost as fast as a dr!  And, a fight against another bike...or a bunch, would be a hoot. 

Killing an F2B is not too hard if you get in the right position...again, Mano's suggestion works fine.  If you end up chasing it at co-alt you have made a serious error.  Simply dive away and try to get positioned for the next pass.

Noticed a lot of folks flying them now...it is fun to fly.  Wish I could aim that single front gun...some of us are hopeless with that.  My hit % goes out about 5 places to the right of the decimal before you find the first numeral other than a zero when in the F2B, but you can live a long time and have some great fights.

One