Author Topic: Ground Effect with Flaps  (Read 1704 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Ground Effect with Flaps
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »
:airplane: Got my PP in 1965 and instructors in 1976 and been flying my RV-6 for almost 22 years. A while back I needed a flight review and my regular instructor I usually use was not available so I went to the local
pilot factory and got a instructor that was still wet behind the ears. First thing he yelled about was I did not have my nose right in the painted center line as i was taxiing out and I might hit a airplane along the side line if I didn't
keep the airplane right on the painted  center line. I asked him what should I do if I was to land on a runway that did not have a painted center line, he didn't have an answer. Second thing he wanted a stall did not  specify if it was full or eminent stall so I pulled the nose fairly steep and did a really nice full stall. I really thought the kid was going to wet his pants, he yelled and screamed that I didn't know how to do stalls and you should never ever do a full stall.
He said they were not even taught at the school he learned at.

Then they wonder why general aviation accident rates are so high instructors now days barely know how to fly themselves.

bolded.....THAT is very frightening. top that off with the terafugia getting certified......... :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »
The video shows a plane very closely being overloaded taking off below stall speed using flaps deployed just before lifting off the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16gxloNo_Ck&feature=fvw

I've seen several people try to do a flaps down take-off but leave ground effect too soon. They stall out right after they leave ground effect and slam back down on the runway. Scary to watch.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline DeltaFox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »
Holiday Inn Express are nice to stay at, but I only fly in sims.

Landing a AR-234 requires just one notch of flaps and line up way back and bring her in slow at just about stall speed.

I had quite a few perks in my other user name and burned up a few learning to fly the jets.  My 1st 234 landing was with full flaps and that sucker never wanted to come down.

And, if you are learning, just take one 234 up, not 3, does get expensive.  I do go to the training area 1st to get a feel for the plane, but I like the relative realism of the arenas and see the results of my mistakes.

The jet fighter still surprises me at times.

I am just about age 60 and definitely not as sharp mentally or physically as I once was.  Have thought about going and take real flight lessons propeller or sailplane but it still scares me.  1965 I remember the local dirt strip airport would get you 1st solo training for just a $100, about a weeks wages, then.

A few years ago, a guy my age, his wife got him lessons as a birthday present.  The instructor was not all that qualified and did not allow enough altitude to do a loop.  Sad, they plowed into the ground out in the farm fields, killing them both.  Makes me wonder what the instructor training process is like?

I always have suspected ground effect existed in the game.  A fully loaded out F4U-D needs full flaps off the cv.  Coming in to land a F4U with full flaps, it never seems to want to come down even with the stall horn sounding.

Similar to the video I posted, if I use one notch flaps with fighters to take off, I deploy them about 100 mph and up flaps at 500 feet.  I don't use flaps to take off with the bombers, it seems detrimental.

But I am still learning.

The AR-234 seems to float like crazy in ground effect.  I made an approach (to a vbase) at 100 IAS, side-slipping, and still had to use a building to stop me.  Unfortunately, it was fatal.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 12:13:55 AM »
here's one that should never have been attempted.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTnW2TXOacY"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VTnW2TXOacY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »
...A fully loaded out F4U-D needs full flaps off the cv....

Try it with two - at most three - notches of flaps. With full flaps, you are creating more drag than lift. Good for landing, not so much for takeoff.

Offline DeltaFox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
The older game required full flaps off the cv fully loaded out in F4U-D or I ended up swimming.  Maybe it has changed.  Old habit.

Try it with two - at most three - notches of flaps. With full flaps, you are creating more drag than lift. Good for landing, not so much for takeoff.

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »
Don't start deploying your flaps until your almost to the end of the cv. You'll go faster and it doesnt spin out as easy.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
The older game required full flaps off the cv fully loaded out in F4U-D or I ended up swimming.  Maybe it has changed.  Old habit.

Naw, it's always taken two notches to up anything off the CV but it takes a tad of practice.

Make sure you are waiting to the last second to drop flaps to get as much speed as possible.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
Don't start deploying your flaps until your almost to the end of the cv. You'll go faster and it doesnt spin out as easy.

I do that with bombers all the time... 
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA