Author Topic: Plane Clinics?  (Read 805 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Plane Clinics?
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »
Has there ever been or will there ever be dedicated plane clinics?  Like having a trainer show you how to get the most out of a specific aircraft?  I think this would be useful for a lot of birds like the FW Dora, the P-38 or the Corsair, but actually a clinic on each aircraft would be very interesting. 

-Muzzy

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
Re: Plane Clinics?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
there is from time to time - Soulyss I know has put on a few 38 plane clinics in the past and I'm sure he will in the future but there is no set dates or times

~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:51:06 AM »
I've had a bunch of 38 clinics, I was planning on having another one prior to the Philippine scenario but I ran out of time.

I'm going to try again and have one before September, but no promises.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 12:57:44 AM »
I've had a bunch of 38 clinics, I was planning on having another one prior to the Philippine scenario but I ran out of time.

Cool. The '38 is one of those planes I'd really like to master, but I'm not doing very well with it in the MA. I read some of the links on previous seminars but they haven't helped as much as I would like.

-Muzzy

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:47:58 AM »
Just for the record, Delirium is the trainer who has put on the 38 clinics in the past.  I've participated on occasion and tried to help out but he's the one who put the time and energy into making them happen. :)

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 05:39:02 AM »
The idea of a Corsair clinic has been tossed around from time to time.  I've done them for my squad, but that's a fairly small audience compared to what you get for an open clinic such as what Delirium does.  The problem with clinics is that you have to keep the material fairly basic for the aircraft since the number of participents will be large and multiple one on one time is really required to learn the aircraft.  But what it does do is introduce the aircraft in a more detailed way to those interesed in flying it.  So it's kinda like an introduction for a book, after you read it you know what you should and shouldn't be able to do with it, but you won't know how to get all of this out of it till you read the whole thing (some of these books are long :lol).  I'm currently thinking about putting one together for the Aces High Convention in October, If I do one there, then there is a very good chance I'll do an open clinic in the TA.

:salute
BigRat   
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 06:25:13 AM »
I apologize for getting it wrong, you know all those 38 sticks look the same must be brothers  :D

Need any help BR give me a shout bud
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:54:03 AM »
Muzzy, all you have to do is simply ask someone to help you with a specified aircraft. Most players here will help you. I asked Delirium to cover the basics for the P-38 and we spent over an hour in the Training Area.Plus, if you go to the Training Arena, there is usually one of the Aces High Training peeps in there. :salute
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
Big Rat I hope you do it.  :aok
If you need a hand I'd be willing to act as your target.   :joystick:  
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »
Cool. The '38 is one of those planes I'd really like to master, but I'm not doing very well with it in the MA. I read some of the links on previous seminars but they haven't helped as much as I would like.

-Muzzy

i've seen a few people that make the 38 look easy, like shuffler, akak, soulss, delierium, and a few others.

to me, she's a beast, and it seems somewhat easy(compared to the little wiggly planes) to get yourself into trouble rather quickly.

one of the VERY big mistakes i used to keep making, was trying to fight the horizontal fight that the spit/hurri/zeek crowd wants us to. i finally listened to the above mentioned guys, and use the vertical a LOT more now...and do much better, although i still get my butt handed to me by most.

i've been flying the 38 almost exclusively, as i love it so.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 11:16:46 AM »
The idea of a Corsair clinic has been tossed around from time to time.  I've done them for my squad, but that's a fairly small audience compared to what you get for an open clinic such as what Delirium does.  The problem with clinics is that you have to keep the material fairly basic for the aircraft since the number of participents will be large and multiple one on one time is really required to learn the aircraft.  But what it does do is introduce the aircraft in a more detailed way to those interesed in flying it.  So it's kinda like an introduction for a book, after you read it you know what you should and shouldn't be able to do with it, but you won't know how to get all of this out of it till you read the whole thing (some of these books are long :lol).  I'm currently thinking about putting one together for the Aces High Convention in October, If I do one there, then there is a very good chance I'll do an open clinic in the TA.

BigRat   

from what i've seen you do in that dam corsair, if you held a clinic, i may come, just to learn why i can't beat the dam things.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 12:11:18 PM »
Oh they have their weaknesses.  The good hog sticks just know how to minimize, weakness exposure.  Plus I tend not to openly divulge the best way to kill them, that would be silly of me :lol.  Cap in all seriousness though, If you wanted to learn how to do it with a 38J or L, I can teach that.  With a G model is quite a bit harder (ask Soulyss on that).  Let me know.

BigRat   
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »
Oh they have their weaknesses.  The good hog sticks just know how to minimize, weakness exposure.  Plus I tend not to openly divulge the best way to kill them, that would be silly of me :lol.  Cap in all seriousness though, If you wanted to learn how to do it with a 38J or L, I can teach that.  With a G model is quite a bit harder (ask Soulyss on that).  Let me know.

BigRat    

:lol

Aint that the truth, the J/L 38's will fair much better against the F4U's than the G simply because they have more engine power and can keep the fight out of the low speed/scissors fight where the F4U will just eat them up.   I think the fight is more or less fought the same way, just that the G has a smaller window of opportunity and even less margin for error.  

*edit*
I don't fly it much but I suspect the L may fair a little better than the J because of the boosted ailerons.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:47:23 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

And it was really, really helpful. I might go again, time permitting.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
i may take ya up on that tomorrow, if you're in the ta, and if i don't stay out too late tonight.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"