Author Topic: Buff formation code  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Buff formation code
« on: August 16, 2010, 07:25:27 AM »
Just a thought. The code will rearrange the bomber formation after a buff has been killed. No problem with that. BUT the change happens instantly, where a bomber warps sideways to it's new position. Yesterday I attacked the center bomber at close range and when it exploded I was mid formation. The buff on the right warped left and collided with me knocking me out of the sky. Other times I have been attacking a formation with a wingman and a similar problem arises. Making high speed passes, one kills a buff first and the target buff of the second attacker jumps out of the way messing up the attack run. It's not a huge deal, but it detracts from the realism and game play. Maybe that algorithm could be updated to move to the new formation position over a longer period of time than is currently set.

:salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
Re: Buff formation code
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:28:10 AM »
+1

I have encountered the same unfortunate crashes.
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:35 AM »
Just a thought. The code will rearrange the bomber formation after a buff has been killed. No problem with that. BUT the change happens instantly, where a bomber warps sideways to it's new position. Yesterday I attacked the center bomber at close range and when it exploded I was mid formation. The buff on the right warped left and collided with me knocking me out of the sky. Other times I have been attacking a formation with a wingman and a similar problem arises. Making high speed passes, one kills a buff first and the target buff of the second attacker jumps out of the way messing up the attack run. It's not a huge deal, but it detracts from the realism and game play. Maybe that algorithm could be updated to move to the new formation position over a longer period of time than is currently set.

that shouldn
t be able to happen. i've attacked lancs the same as you describe......but the speed difference is such that i'm already out of the way when the drone moves,

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
that shouldn
t be able to happen. i've attacked lancs the same as you describe......but the speed difference is such that i'm already out of the way when the drone moves,

Don't know if it should be possible, but it happens. Is it possible that the speed is different per Bomber type?  I was attacking B-24s. I seem to remember it happening the same, regardless of plane type.
Who is John Galt?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:43 AM »
Don't know if it should be possible, but it happens. Is it possible that the speed is different per Bomber type?  I was attacking B-24s. I seem to remember it happening the same, regardless of plane type.

either that or attack style.

i do slashing high speed attacks, as i seem to have the best luck with them. i usually go for one of the drones first, but if it's a base defense, then i go for the main buff, to try and mess up his drop.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:30:06 AM »
 I never understood why the drones need to switch positions at all. I'm not a programmer (unless you're talking about my DVR) but wouldn't it be easier and more visually appealing if the drones stayed in the same spot?

This is the regular formation;

X
  X    X

Someone kills either drone, and the other drone stays in the same spot it did in the formation. If someone kill the lead, the drones would also stay in the same spot like this;

X   X 

In this case, the lead spot would be removed.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »
I was going to say, don't get so close but that wouldn't address the actual warping issue. The only time I see the warp is when the lead bomber doesn't explode and the pile-it can't or doesn't switch planes right away. I generally go for the lead bomber since that is typically the one controlling the machine guns for the formation and if you're getting in close, the safest spot is right off the inside horizontal stab of either of the wing planes. The guns can't get on you and if you kill the lead plane, you don't get caught up in the warp.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:31:47 AM »
I never understood why the drones need to switch positions at all. I'm not a programmer (unless you're talking about my DVR) but wouldn't it be easier and more visually appealing if the drones stayed in the same spot?

This is the regular formation;

X
  X    X

Someone kills either drone, and the other drone stays in the same spot it did in the formation. If someone kill the lead, the drones would also stay in the same spot like this;

X   X 

In this case, the lead spot would be removed.

as for the lead being replaced.......that's probably part of the "simplifying" to let the buff driver get an easier drop.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »
I was going to say, don't get so close but that wouldn't address the actual warping issue. The only time I see the warp is when the lead bomber doesn't explode and the pile-it can't or doesn't switch planes right away. I generally go for the lead bomber since that is typically the one controlling the machine guns for the formation and if you're getting in close, the safest spot is right off the inside horizontal stab of either of the wing planes. The guns can't get on you and if you kill the lead plane, you don't get caught up in the warp.

some of us gun from the drones.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »
To me, the instant warp after the main bomber get's killed is only a minor problem.

What's really annoying is the repeated, unpredictable drone warping when the lead bomber is maneuvering. The pilot doesn't even need to do some wild immelmans - fly a relatively gentle turn at high speed, and the drones will play the "now I'm here...now I'm not" game, constantly warping out of the fighters gunsight.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »
The warp is pretty annoying and noticable.  I usually try to minimize its impact (heh) on me by attacking the formation from the outside in.  Going for the center plane, you're basically flying into his convergence.  Going for the outside ones first you're giving his guns less opportunity to get on you.

I think it would be a lot better if the pilot got switched into one of the drones, then the other drone moved into proper formation instead of it happening instantly.

I've always assumed when the drones are warping while the formation maneuvered a bit that the guy inside was switching which plane he was in.  Is that not the case?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »

Always kill from right to left because then the don't warp
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:04:09 PM »
To me, the instant warp after the main bomber get's killed is only a minor problem.

What's really annoying is the repeated, unpredictable drone warping when the lead bomber is maneuvering. The pilot doesn't even need to do some wild immelmans - fly a relatively gentle turn at high speed, and the drones will play the "now I'm here...now I'm not" game, constantly warping out of the fighters gunsight.

when they're maneuvering, although the drones may warp, i go for the main bomber, as he can't maneuver hard enough to lose the drones from a gunner position. that's generally pretty safe, and by the time he's leveled, and the drones are coming back to formation, i'm past him climbing for my next attack.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »

Good point Lusche, I forgot to mention that in the original note, but wanted to.

Who is John Galt?

Offline CDR1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
Why not just remove the formation check box and do away with the 1 guy equals 3 bombers thing, Has  ah always had formation bombers? 4 guys flying 12 lancs can be a game changer anytime, anywhere. Just curious.