Author Topic: Buff formation code  (Read 1284 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Buff formation code
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
Why not just remove the formation check box and do away with the 1 guy equals 3 bombers thing, Has  ah always had formation bombers? 4 guys flying 12 lancs can be a game changer anytime, anywhere. Just curious.

I think hitech probably wants the formation check box in there since it is in there.  I could be wrong though, maybe formations are a bug.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »
4 guys flying 12 lancs can be a game changer anytime, anywhere.

4 guys flying 12 lancs are just 12 kills flying around waiting for someone to grab them :)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »

4 guys flying 12 lancs are just 12 kills flying around waiting for someone to grab them :)

true that
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »
I never understood why the drones need to switch positions at all. I'm not a programmer (unless you're talking about my DVR) but wouldn't it be easier and more visually appealing if the drones stayed in the same spot?

This is the regular formation;

X
  X    X

Someone kills either drone, and the other drone stays in the same spot it did in the formation. If someone kill the lead, the drones would also stay in the same spot like this;

X   X 

In this case, the lead spot would be removed.

+1  :aok

I like Del's suggestion. Just don't re-arrange the Formation to tighten it up. THis may have been an attemp at realism, but I think it detracts more than it adds.
Who is John Galt?

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 01:51:48 PM »

its also a pain when your wingman destroys the centre bomber as you are attacking one of the drones. You fire and before your bullets hit the drone has moved out of the way ( BUGGER hot lead wasted :(  )
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »
Just a thought. The code will rearrange the bomber formation after a buff has been killed. No problem with that. BUT the change happens instantly, where a bomber warps sideways to it's new position. Yesterday I attacked the center bomber at close range and when it exploded I was mid formation. The buff on the right warped left and collided with me knocking me out of the sky. Other times I have been attacking a formation with a wingman and a similar problem arises. Making high speed passes, one kills a buff first and the target buff of the second attacker jumps out of the way messing up the attack run. It's not a huge deal, but it detracts from the realism and game play. Maybe that algorithm could be updated to move to the new formation position over a longer period of time than is currently set.

:salute

Change your target attack profile.  Instead of targeting the manned bomber (lead) first, go for the one either port or starboard of the lead bomber.  This way when you do blow it up, it won't warp like the lead bomber does and cause a collision.  On your 2nd pass (after you've killed either the port or starboard drone) then you can safely attack the lead bomber as the remaining drone (when the player jumps into it) won't warp to the lead position since the are no other bombers to form up on.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »
It always amazes at how everyone always attacks the lead aircraft instead of the drones. I'm guessing people just focus on the icon rather than the plane itself. 
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »
attack buffs left to right, problem solved :aok

NOT

AKNOT

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
Change your target attack profile.  Instead of targeting the manned bomber (lead) first, go for the one either port or starboard of the lead bomber.  This way when you do blow it up, it won't warp like the lead bomber does and cause a collision.  On your 2nd pass (after you've killed either the port or starboard drone) then you can safely attack the lead bomber as the remaining drone (when the player jumps into it) won't warp to the lead position since the are no other bombers to form up on.

ack-ack

if your doing an attack from the 6, or anywhere near it, it's best to go for the drone to your right as you approach. if you hit the left one, the right one moves over.

i misjudged and got hit by a lanc that way.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »
attack buffs left to right, problem solved :aok

NOT

other way 'round i think.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 04:54:52 PM »
I never understood why the drones need to switch positions at all. I'm not a programmer (unless you're talking about my DVR) but wouldn't it be easier and more visually appealing if the drones stayed in the same spot?
This is the regular formation;
     X
  X    X
Someone kills either drone, and the other drone stays in the same spot it did in the formation. If someone kill the lead, the drones would also stay in the same spot like this;
X   X 
In this case, the lead spot would be removed.

:aok

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »
ack-ack

Adjusting your attack or target order of buff groups to ensure the safest passes from guns is one thing.  Adjusting the target order or path of attack to also dodge a warp is a valid point.

I hate when we so quickly dismiss the real issue with responses like, "just change how you do things."  In the end that may infact be what is needed, but exploring the OP's observations through discussion may also lead to solutions.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »
Adjusting your attack or target order of buff groups to ensure the safest passes from guns is one thing.  Adjusting the target order or path of attack to also dodge a warp is a valid point.

I hate when we so quickly dismiss the real issue with responses like, "just change how you do things."  In the end that may infact be what is needed, but exploring the OP's observations through discussion may also lead to solutions.

+1

:aok  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 05:13:25 PM »
other way 'round i think.

Nope, start with left drone, and while you are setting up for next pass, right drone slowly drifts over to left position. rinse and repeat. :aok

NOT

AKNOT

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »
Nope, start with left drone, and while you are setting up for next pass, right drone slowly drifts over to left position. rinse and repeat. :aok

NOT

lol except when it warps because that is the bug HTC hasnt been able to fix yet.

If you attack right to left the left drone stays put.
Curry1-Since Tour 101