Author Topic: Reno Air Races....  (Read 4142 times)

Offline betty

• Gold Member
Reno Air Races....
« on: August 17, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »
i'm going to be going to Reno with a few of the TSM squad, any of yall plan to attend??? im totally stoked and have never been there before! woooooot! what happens in reno stays in reno??? :)    :rock :rock :rock :rock :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :airplane:
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
Re: Reno Air Races....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:29:17 PM »
I'll be there! 3rd year in a row! Woot! This year is shaping up to be awesome.. Here's what I'm looking forward to:

Galloping Ghost, 6 P-38's are scheduled to be there (so cool!), 2 F7F's (hopefully - my favorite to see race), Rare Bear with a new race motor (somebody needs to take down Strega), Voodoo is supposed to be even faster this year, Miss America (she sounds so badass), and a 1500hp Turbine Powered NXT will be on display (drools)..

Things I'm disappointed about:

No Czechmate (out for this year to strenghen the wings), No Nemesis (family issues of the pilot)

Check out http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/.. That's pretty much the place to get all the 'inside' Reno Air Races info.. Many of the pilots and crew members actually post there!  :rock

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »
i'm going to be going to Reno with a few of the TSM squad, any of yall plan to attend??? im totally stoked and have never been there before! woooooot! what happens in reno stays in reno??? :)    :rock :rock :rock :rock :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :airplane:

Went there a couple of years ago so I can give ya some advice. 
  • If you haven't rented a car already, be prepared to be floored by how much the jack the rates up that weekend :P
  • Bring a good, comfortable pair of shoes.  The area of the show is quite large and you'll do a lot of walking around.  I went the first day in sandals and ended up with sunburned feet and blisters.
  • Pack for all kinds of weather.  It was nice and sunny while I was there but right before we arrived it had rained for almost 2 days straight.  The locals told me that the weather can do just about anything that time of year.

Have a good time.  It's a really cool thing to go to although Reno is no Vegas for nightlife :P

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »
Have fun Betty :aok

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:25:29 PM »
What are the dates this year?

I live about 3 hours away, yet haven't been since I was a toddler, go figure. :)

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 04:42:01 PM »
What are the dates this year?

I live about 3 hours away, yet haven't been since I was a toddler, go figure. :)

September 15th-19th (Best day - Sunday the 19th)

http://www.airrace.org

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
I went a few years back and forgot a jacket....ended up freezing my donut off.  The weather is definately unpredictable.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »
I went a few years back and forgot a jacket....ended up freezing my donut off.  The weather is definately unpredictable.

sounds like michigan weather! if u dont like the weather just wait 10 minutes, it will change!!!!
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »
I've gone the last two years in a row, quite the time. Unfortunately, I'll be moving down south on those dates so I can't attend. Rare Bear? New Engine? Unlimited Championship hopefully :)

Offline BushLT1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 06:20:31 PM »
Hmmm wonder if I could get Gomer to go with me for weekend.  :noid

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »
If I'm ever traveling between NoCal or SoCal when the show is going on in Reno I'll try to stop by and then stay a night on the road (a few hours away and closer into CA and away from Reno).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
Hmmm wonder if I could get Gomer to go with me for weekend.  :noid

You might have trouble finding lodging at this point.  The Air Races are THE event of the year in Reno.  When I went, I tried to book about a month ahead of time and there was nothing available except a few rooms that were like $300 a night.  Luckily one of my ww2ol squadmates was in the Vegas air guard and had to work their display at the show.  He already had a room so I just stayed with him. 

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 02:04:13 PM »
You might have trouble finding lodging at this point.  The Air Races are THE event of the year in Reno.  When I went, I tried to book about a month ahead of time and there was nothing available except a few rooms that were like $300 a night.  Luckily one of my ww2ol squadmates was in the Vegas air guard and had to work their display at the show.  He already had a room so I just stayed with him. 

I'm sure you could find a place to stay in Tahoe.. Its only about a 45min drive from the north side of the lake and we've done that a few times and it worked out great.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
I lived in Reno for 4 years, so let me know if you need some insider info.  Definitely watch the weather.  My first year at the races in 2004, It snowed on Sunday.  The next year, it was 90 degrees...  Sunscreen is a must.  Buy all your beer from the Marine Corps League tent, which should be right behind the GA grandstand.  Buy a pit pass for at least one day so you can go check out all the planes.  When you're walking around the Pits, you'll definitely realize how most of those Unlimited Gold owners have more money than they know what to do with...

Have a good time.  Its certainly one of the 4 Crown Jewels of American aviation shows...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »
Will drool over any pictures of Rare Bear posted here!!! hint hint, beg beg :D