Author Topic: Bomb blast radius?  (Read 8439 times)

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
Re: Bomb blast radius?
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 09:27:53 AM »
That is a good request that is needed.  I have drop 1000 lbs bomb next to a GV and boom, then there is the 500 lbs bomb i have drop and no kill. 

I had 8 500lbers dropped within a few hundred yards of me by F100s, didn't kill me, but I thought I was dyin. :lol
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
 :salute Red

After seeing the F100 at Thunder Over Michigan a few weeks ago, I've been reading about the Mistys using them as fast FAC over the trail.  Amazing stuff in an extremely touchy plane from the sounds of it!  :O
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline tf15pin

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »
I confused some numbers and words.  I have corrected below:

Based on my efforts at the bombing range (offline town bombing) I have a damage radius for 1000 pound bombs.  If one measures from the inside wall to inside wall of destroyed buildings then I have blast diameter 165.5' (5mm on scaled map) when measured from the inside facing wall to the other inside facing wall.  This gives one a radius of 2.5mm (83') for inside to inside.  From outside edge to outside edge then the blast diameter is 231' (7mm on scaled map.)    This gives one a radius of 3.5mm (115.5') for outside to outside.

B17/B24 formation would have a destruction swath of 437' or 13.44mm on the map.

I have not tested a 500 pound bomb sortie.  Want to bet it turns out to be 50% of the 1000 lb.  250 lb would be 50% of the 500 lb.  100 lb would be a 10% of a 1000 lb bomb.  Way to simple so probably not correct.   ;)

Good job collecting some data!

I recalculated the c value using your small radius to be on the safe side (c = 0.0169). So D=D0 e^(-c r) where D is the damage at radius r in lb, D0 is the damage of the bomb at radius=0 or the weight of the bomb, e is the natural exponent ~2.7, c is the damping  constant, and r is the radius. So with this we can predict how much damage a given bomb will do at a given radius from the impact. If you want to calculate the radius at which a given bomb will destroy an object of given hardness you can do some algebra and get r = -(1/c) ln(D/D0) where the values are the same except for D you put in the object hardness. ln is the natural logarithm.  

Some values we get from this when considering bombing hangers are: hit withing 22' with a 4000lb bomb, 5' with 3000 lbs of bombs, or 46' with 6000 lbs of bombs (i.e. .salvo 2 with 1000lb'ers in a 3 plane formation). These values will be on the low side since we used the low values from the data you collected when we determined c.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 09:02:40 AM »
actually none of us can predict the damage at r, because none of us knows how HT has modelled it, might even be a discrete function ... :uhoh
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 10:34:24 AM »
There is a ceiling on the amount of destruction that a single weapon can produce, because the radius of destruction for any given level of blast increases approximately as the cube root of the energy output.

With 7 weapons dropped in a circle, at the midpoint between zero point distance, blast waves would collide at the overpressure points. On interior points of the circle, the blast waves, depending upon the angles at which they met, would be reflected or merge. The key feature of encirclement in terms of blast forces is that the energy on the interior of the circle would be concentrated in a comparatively small area instead of dissipating from the zero point at a 128° angle over an ever larger area [the angle formed at an intersections of a 7 sided polygon]. The result is greater blast destruction on the interior of the circle than is commonly suggested when contemplating single weapon effects.

Paul Cooper's text Explosives Engineering (1996) [p. 216]:

Take the amount of TNT - lets say 1,000 lbs. 4184 Joules = 0.001 Kton.  Y^0.4), where Y is yield.

Approximate over pressures and distances for .001 Ktons as follows:

15 Psi - 0.02 miles
10 Psi - 0.02 miles
5 Psi - 0.03 miles
1 Psi - 0.01 miles
0.25 PSI - 0.19 miles

For the METRIC guys:

103 KPa - 0.02 Km
68.9 KPa - 0.03 Km
48.3 Kpa - 0.04...

You get the point. But keep in mind 2PSi is enough to destroy reinforced concrete buildings - but the blast radius falls off rather quickly. Tanks and other cans - at least now a days are sealed up pretty tight - so a close blast might be reflected out. If the tank were not sealed - the shock front would reflect off the interior of the tank walls - and amplify the blast effects to the crew. Hope that helps.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »
Tell ya what once yall get this sorted out just tell me how high I gotta get to not blow my boston3s up while hittin a cv on the deck with 500lbers.  :devil
Thanks.  :aok
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE