Author Topic: Online Book Stores  (Read 273 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Online Book Stores
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:34:26 AM »
I'm trying to save up on buying college books and would love to know any online book stores in the US besides Amazon and Barnes and Nobles where I can save a buck.

So far I've gone from $320 on the college store to $272 on barnes and nobles to $201 on amazon for the same gdamn 3 textbooks.

I dont care if they're used.

Suggestions?

Update: Bookbyte.com has all 3 books, used, for $159 and I can sell them back to amazon after im done with them. Schweet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:41:56 AM by Tac »

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Online Book Stores
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
Trust me, books suck.  I went to pick my books up for this semester, I had a PAPER book, that is one of those ones you put in a binder, 94 bucks! It is all paper, plain printer paper with words on it!

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
Yes. The cost of textbooks is ridiculous.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »
half.com will save you the most money, and still be trustworthy

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:50:37 PM »
I usually just put the ISBN into google shopping and they should list prices from various websites.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »
You are running into one of the main money making aspects of higher education. The prof's are confronted with publish or perish and the easiest way for them to accomplish that and make money is to write the text they want to use in their classes. They have a "captive" buying population and doing a rewrite or modification to the text each year means they still published and forced you to buy another new book as used ones won't be compatible. Yup it IS a scam and is not only accepted by the colleges but encouraged.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
half.com will save you the most money, and still be trustworthy

Yep thats were I got all of mine this year. They saved me a couple hundred bucks  :banana:
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 10:18:30 PM »
half.com is ebay. :P

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »
You are running into one of the main money making aspects of higher education. The prof's are confronted with publish or perish and the easiest way for them to accomplish that and make money is to write the text they want to use in their classes. They have a "captive" buying population and doing a rewrite or modification to the text each year means they still published and forced you to buy another new book as used ones won't be compatible. Yup it IS a scam and is not only accepted by the colleges but encouraged.

At my University, a professor cannot take any profits from a book he/she authors and assigns to a class.  I find the bigger issue is apathetic professors, who don't even pay attention to prices.  They just made some changes where publishers are required to release what changes were made in new editions and I believe there was something about having the price up front, fostering more competition.  My intro to psych prof actually cared, put two publishers head to head and each continued to lower their price, eventually he found that he could just have the university printing service print it for $15 and sell to students for $22.  That was a huge different to the $120+ the same books were originally at.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 11:52:07 PM »
At my University, a professor cannot take any profits from a book he/she authors and assigns to a class.  I find the bigger issue is apathetic professors, who don't even pay attention to prices.  They just made some changes where publishers are required to release what changes were made in new editions and I believe there was something about having the price up front, fostering more competition.  My intro to psych prof actually cared, put two publishers head to head and each continued to lower their price, eventually he found that he could just have the university printing service print it for $15 and sell to students for $22.  That was a huge different to the $120+ the same books were originally at.
They may not take profits... but publishers usually give the professors free text books and the teachers will take the free book. Some majors are worse than others, my girlfriend, an English major, gets relativity cheap books. As a Business student, I pay a fortune for new texts. Especially because new books are hard to find used... This semester I am paying $220 which is cheap compared to previous semesters. Last Fall, including used books, my text books cost $828. $440 in the Spring.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 12:12:42 AM »
There are online vendors that rent out books.. I can't remember the name.. chugg maybe?

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:18 AM »
When I was in school in the early 90's I was spending about 750-900 dollars a QUARTER for books because all the classes I was in were from the medical school. I was taking classes for Kinesiology and Excercise Science as part of my major to become a certified CSCS (strength and conditioning coach) and a minor in sports administration management.Talk about a PITA because there was all kinds of lab books and other crazy things that we needed with working on cadavers and body parts.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »
News flash for yew. Generally cadavers don't take exercise classes and absolutely refuse to work out on their own. Just sayin....

:neener:
when I was in school in the early 90's I was spending about 750-900 dollars a QUARTER for books because all the classes I was in were from the medical school. I was taking classes for Kinesiology and Excercise Science as part of my major to become a certified CSCS (strength and conditioning coach) and a minor in sports administration management.Talk about a PITA because there was all kinds of lab books and other crazy things that we needed with working on cadavers and body parts.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown