Author Topic: RESOURCE: Compressing TeamSpeak Recordings  (Read 976 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
RESOURCE: Compressing TeamSpeak Recordings
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:12:54 AM »
A few of my COs in the past haven't been all that tech-savvy, so I figured I'd write out a post on how I convert audio. Considering TeamSpeak outputs uncompressed raw PCM files, an event meeting can easily push up past the half-gigabyte size. Not only does that make hosting difficult, but people are much less likely to actually download and listen to them in such a state.

Firstly, you'll need a free program called Audacity (at the moment, there is a separate version for Vista/Win7, so choose the one that you need) and the LAME codec for it.
Install Audacity as normal. Extract the .dll in the ZIP file to any location you desire; I suggest inside the folder you installed Audacity to. If you're running Vista or Win7, right click audacity.exe, choose Properties, the Compatibility tab, and set it to run in Compatibility mode for XP-SP3 and to run as an administrator. This will cause a UAC window each time you run the program, but it's much less troublesome that way.

Open Audacity. Go to File>Import>Audio... (or Ctrl-Shift-i) and select the TeamSpeak recording. Let it finish importing (you can see the progress as the wave band replaces the crosshatching in the console). Now, go to File>Export... and choose a location for the new file. Set "Save as type:" to MP3 files and click the "Options..." button. Here you can set the quality settings for the resulting file. I haven't really played with this so much, so if you want to REALLY get your compressed size down, you may want to do a bit of research into it. For this guide (and resulting file sizes at the end), I used an Average bitrate at 32kbps with Joint Stereo. After you click Save, audacity will ask you for the location of the .dll file you placed at the beginning. After locating it, a new box will pop open asking for ID3 tag information. It's optional to fill out, but there's no harm in doing it. Afterward, the computer will start to chew through the encoding. When it's done, voila! When you go to close Audacity, it will ask you if you want to save before closing; don't worry, your MP3 is saved. It's asking if you'd like to save an Audacity Project that you could use to continue editing later...but, we're done!

Result:
Initial file: PCM WAV, 56m49s in length, 1536kbps; 624mb
Resulting file: LAME MP3, 35kbps (32kbps average); 14.4mb
Considering the codec TeamSpeak uses is generally under 32kbps (the one in use for the Philippine Phandango command meetings is 7.57kbps), there isn't any real loss of quality.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:16:29 AM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: RESOURCE: Compressing TeamSpeak Recordings
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
Any way for this to work for capturing/converting sound from AH film files?

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »
I'm no longer able to edit the OP, so...one change.
The Windows Vista/7 version uses the "File>Import..." button while the other simply uses "File>Open..."

Any way for this to work for capturing/converting sound from AH film files?

You can capture the sound as it's headed out to your speakers by changing the input from Microphone to Wave in Audacity. Sometimes the selector gets glitched in the XP version, and I think it has to be done through the Windows volume system in Vista/7 which is far more complicated.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »
Sticky!
Strokes

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:00:42 AM »
Being the DA that I am I have a question, with the comms we have in the game, why would you be using team speak?
Dosen't that just use up more of your resources, since the comms in the game are going to be in the game anyway?
ab8aac
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:01:34 AM »
Because we aren't in-game when we hold our meetings. :)

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:47:59 AM »
ahhhhh well that explains it, thanks

salute
ab8aac out
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW