Author Topic: New radar = boring ...bring back old radar  (Read 4061 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Re: New radar = boring ...bring back old radar
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2010, 10:36:17 AM »
How about I change cowardly with chicken chit. Does that make it more acceptable to you?

Sure.

Ya mean "chiken chit" like, vulching,spawn camping,alt monkeys etc etc etc??
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »
Our squad aircraft not available in MW and the largest numbers I've seen in MW was 67.

in the 60's makes for nice fights.

as for particular aircraft.....i know what you mean trying to stick to a single aircraft.........but ya could always try something different. it may add a lil fun to the equation.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Magnus

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »
If the numbers are on the rise, why are so many old timers leaving?....... :headscratch:

Check the boards, again ........

I have been around for over 6 years.... just because I decided to post my thoughts now.... doesn't mean I haven't been around.

Just means I haven't posted on the forums ......

:salute
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:41:53 AM by Magnus »
(CO) 79th Fighter Group - Falcons / web 
AH Wall of Honor

Notice: Not here to win every post, like some members of Aces High II BB club

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
Oh boy, I see I got my hands full here :uhoh. Look, what we have here is 2 different styles of game play. You guys against the new dar are the war winner/base taker crowd. More then likely when you first log on you look at the map for a base to take. You find one and spend the next 45 minutes flying low for 4 sectors, avoiding dar rings to smash and grab a base. I guess that's cool if that's what ya want to do.
I'd rather when I log on find a dar bar and go to it and fight. I don't have alot of time or 10/15/30 guys to fly with. I want to hop in a 51/38 and shoot at stuff...preferably in 5 or 10 minutes. I reckon I could go to the DA lake but it just to damned gamey in there. I'd rather go to the MA where all the action is, raise hell and dogfight. With the new dar, I can look at it, tell where the bad guy is to take action. I don't have to sit there wondering where he is. So to me that promotes fights. Or at least it should IMO.
I believe I read somewhere that this game was about aerial dogfighting and all the other eye candy was thrown in to promote that. Now the game is all about getting points and score. Kills and captures. I find that to be very time consuming, fruitless and mundane. I'd rather gouge myself in the eye, then fly around dar rings to sneak a base and then go sit by a tree in a tank to wait for someone to pop over the hill in a tank.
Yall go on and spend ur 15 bucks the way ya want. it just ain't my bag of tea. :bolt:

Respect!!! :salute

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »
Oh boy, I see I got my hands full here :uhoh. Look, what we have here is 2 different styles of game play. You guys against the new dar are the war winner/base taker crowd. More then likely when you first log on you look at the map for a base to take. You find one and spend the next 45 minutes flying low for 4 sectors, avoiding dar rings to smash and grab a base. I guess that's cool if that's what ya want to do.
I'd rather when I log on find a dar bar and go to it and fight. I don't have alot of time or 10/15/30 guys to fly with. I want to hop in a 51/38 and shoot at stuff...preferably in 5 or 10 minutes. I reckon I could go to the DA lake but it just to damned gamey in there. I'd rather go to the MA where all the action is, raise hell and dogfight. With the new dar, I can look at it, tell where the bad guy is to take action. I don't have to sit there wondering where he is. So to me that promotes fights. Or at least it should IMO.
I believe I read somewhere that this game was about aerial dogfighting and all the other eye candy was thrown in to promote that. Now the game is all about getting points and score. Kills and captures. I find that to be very time consuming, fruitless and mundane. I'd rather gouge myself in the eye, then fly around dar rings to sneak a base and then go sit by a tree in a tank to wait for someone to pop over the hill in a tank.
Yall go on and spend ur 15 bucks the way ya want. it just ain't my bag of tea. :bolt:

I think you do folks a disservice by lumping anyone who doesn't like the new settings into the category you do.  The more I play, the more I realize just how much I don't like them either - and I'm not much for the grab and smash - or even the grab.

1) 25% of why I don't really care for the new settings, especially radar.  One of the things I didn't realize was how much I enjoyed "reading the map" and the constant reevaluation it required - figuring out what was going on where, and doing something in response.  That aspect of game play is nearly completely missing, when you can see enemy fighters most of the time from lift off to splash down.

2) 75% of why.  I've never liked being a part of the horde.  And what seems to have happened in response to the new settings is that people now group up even MORE than they did before.  Prior to the changes, I could almost always find a smaller front to fight with and against a smaller portion of the players while most of the players on my side are busy in another area of the map.  Most often, that's nonexistent now.  It's "chase the solitary dot across the map ... " or "me and my 70 friends....".

1) The radar height changes don't adversely affect my gameplay, I don't really care about those.
2) The town "hardness" changes don't directly affect my gameplay, but I do think they contribute to the "mammoth" furball effect because it takes more resources to take down a field, and (therefore) more to defend.   What I think really should happen some version of the vbases should get the new towns, so that the ground war has a great stage without an airfield always within 30 seconds.  Maybe the airfields get the old towns, maybe they get the new, or maybe something else altogether.  (Of course, this means remaking maps).
3) I think some attention should go into forcing the front to spread out some.  One thing that would do this is if the radar were scaled back to at least half way between where they were and where they are, if not back to where they were before the change.

All IMO, of course.

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »
Again, it's game play that is screwed up, not the dar. The all seeing dar works both ways. Yes the enemy can see you coming, but you can see them too. The problem is todays players are such a bunch of lemmings that they can't adapt. You see defense building you call out a new target 90 degrees off of the current flight plan. The enemy either has to chase you....while grabbing alt, or has to bail and re-up at the new target.... and grab alt. This "just plow it on in there!" and over whelm the enemy with numbers isn't going to work any more.

Junkys plan could work with 10 guys to take a base. I wouldn't call that a horde. You have 20 guys in your mission, split the force and hit two bases at once, forcing the defender to split there numbers as well. The funs still there, you'll just have to use some strategy now. Planning attacks can spread out the action which in turn speads out the fun.

'm a lone wolf most of the time like Uptown.... we should just change our squad name to that... but I would love to see the base capture start back up with the use of strategy instead of numbers. Most people don't have the skills, but if they spend as much time learning how to bomb better, how to fight better, as they do looking for "work arounds" they might just figure it out.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »

+1....couldn't agree more Uptown :salute

V/r

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »
Again, it's game play that is screwed up, not the dar. The all seeing dar works both ways. Yes the enemy can see you coming, but you can see them too. The problem is todays players are such a bunch of lemmings that they can't adapt.

The combination of 65ft dot dar, increased dar range and 500ft has asymmetrical impact on hordes & singe/small group players. In conjucntion with the bigger towns (which are great) often creates more "lemmings".

A side hugely outnumbering the opposition can still NOE, and in fact, can be often much more efficient at that than before, because THEY do have complete radar coverage over the target area.

For example 2 nights ago: Bish (having numbers big time) were capturing a lot of knight bases in the far east of Compello. It was easy for them to send a few fighters ahead to take out Knight dar. So their main attack was able to come in NOE, but  they had not only radar coverage over their target base, but even over the next Knight airfield behind. Take off from the base under attack and attempt to gain some altitude? Impossible, you were on dar the moment you raised your gear. Be smart and take off in the base next sector? Futile, they have you on dar once you raise your gear. No wonder nobody tried to fight them when the red darbar suddenly popped up.
Before the changes, you could at least try to get there in a reasonable fast plane to hunt buffs or goons or to pick on the vulchers, trying to break the cap. Now it was next to impossible, you show up on as a convenient dot on their dar. The only way to "adapt" would be to fly a 262...

The other I do note apart from the hording is the increasing altitude for fighters & bombers straying off the main routes.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2010, 04:27:59 PM »
One of my favorite things to do when i can't find a fight, is to fly lancs, and plan my route and mission before i even leave the cartoon ground. then i "pop" as many enemy radar towers as i can before i lose my cartoon bombers.

it's tedios somewhat, but more fun than it sounds.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
almost forgot.....if no one's noticed, the base doesn't flash till you hit the old dar ring.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2010, 04:33:02 PM »
Problem with the game is not the dar settings. HTC put this into effect after having enough of hordes rolling undefended bases and was hoping this new feature would help everyone pick and choose fights, hence put the fun back into the game.
Log on one night and see how these lemmings operate now a days. 30 mossies, lancs, spits, niks and the kitchen sink rolling on to base after base. Fight starts they vanish..20 mins later same story just different part of the map. These tactics create a virtual cesspool of a gaming enviorment. Is it fun for them? I dunno..seems they are the first to cry if the same tactics are done to them.

Aces High new future promo is gonna be " join in air, land and see battles and race to see who can reset the map faster" :uhoh
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 04:33:22 PM »
Despite all this super tactics, war status and
map changing are s*** bad ! Or not !?

A8 yestarday was 12 hours of furballing - i know nights are youngers.   :neener:

I play there also!!!

I saw every sort of massive, splitted, 'kamasutrian' or 'masochistic' attempt to defeat the bishops resistance.

At the end A8 fall down because after 3 hours on 12 of this 'shining' combat action my balls (and bishops too i suppose)
becomed  so big and in a fast rotation status that the seat cannot fill them.

mobilis in mobile

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »

At the end A8 fall down because after 3 hours on 12 of this 'shining' combat action my balls (and bishops too i suppose)
becomed  so big and in a fast rotation status that the seat cannot fill them.

In a Fast Rotaion Status!!  LMAO!!

One of the funniest things I've seen on these boards in quite a while!!  :rock   :salute
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2010, 04:47:02 PM »
"HTC put this into effect after having enough of hordes rolling undefended bases and was hoping this new feature would help everyone pick and choose fights, hence put the fun back into the game."

I cannot belive this if and only if HTC be 8 years old so to speak.

What is the casual relation between take undefended base and any ah improvment or not?

Nothing of nothing.

Now we have an infinite ganging supermassive horde.

And don't tell me about adaptation or other things like that because, as you can see i fly, as always,
to attack and defend bases.
mobilis in mobile

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2010, 04:52:04 PM »
isn't this more a wish than a general topic since we've all accepted the new dar and this is like beating a dead horse a year after it fell over and started to rot?
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields