Author Topic: Arena CAPS force squad of two to split at 21:30 GMT  (Read 963 times)

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
Arena CAPS force squad of two to split at 21:30 GMT
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:26:05 PM »
I had never experienced this before. But last night I loggeg in, looked for my squaddie and I could not join him in LW. We are a small squad, 3 members.

This is just another reason to make avoid LW arenas, I prefer EW, MW and AvA myself. But beeing EW empty and MW with only 6 players on at the time - AvA had only one player logged - I didn't mind to give LW a try... and I was miserably left at the door...

Went to MW, my squad mate joined me later, we starved for aerial fights and finally went to AvA were we had a blast in very good fights in a 6 player arena...

SOP for 249 Sqn RAF Squad Nights: log into any arena but LW.

Just to take it off my chest...

Cheers,
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline palef

• Gold Member
Re: Arena CAPS force squad of two to split at 21:30 GMT
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »
Retired

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
I had never experienced this before. But last night I loggeg in, looked for my squaddie and I could not join him in LW. We are a small squad, 3 members.

This is just another reason to make avoid LW arenas, I prefer EW, MW and AvA myself. But beeing EW empty and MW with only 6 players on at the time - AvA had only one player logged - I didn't mind to give LW a try... and I was miserably left at the door...

Went to MW, my squad mate joined me later, we starved for aerial fights and finally went to AvA were we had a blast in very good fights in a 6 player arena...

Cheers,
hmmm...a locked arena, never seen that
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »

Cheers,

Couldn't you just e-mailed the other 2 guys?  :devil

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:16:55 AM »

Cheers,

????  Did I miss something on this one?

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:28:49 AM »

Cheers,

Your squaddie didn't want to fly with you? So now you don't want to fly LW??

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »

:aok

Was thinking in my earlier post "Last Night" was Titanic Tuesday.  But "Last Night" was Wednesday night which means 2 LW arenas, in which the original post makes even less sense.  This is nothing less than ANOTHER whine about "Arena Caps".  Which in itself makes no sense when, if given a little patience, and a little time, anyone is able to enter into the arena of choice.

I'll not demand my squad move just because the arena is capped, heck they may be into some serious fun.  I will however communicate to them I'm trying, and that there is a cap in place.  What's more though is after minutes tick by the next thing I know is my Brethren have chosen to joined me, rather than see me "left at the door".  Which I would do the same if roles were reversed.  Regardless......I wouldn't "Dictate" what arena they'll be allowed to go to.

Perhaps it isn't a "Cap" problem after all.

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »
:aok

Was thinking in my earlier post "Last Night" was Titanic Tuesday.  But "Last Night" was Wednesday night which means 2 LW arenas, in which the original post makes even less sense.  This is nothing less than ANOTHER whine about "Arena Caps".  Which in itself makes no sense when, if given a little patience, and a little time, anyone is able to enter into the arena of choice.

I'll not demand my squad move just because the arena is capped, heck they may be into some serious fun.  I will however communicate to them I'm trying, and that there is a cap in place.  What's more though is after minutes tick by the next thing I know is my Brethren have chosen to joined me, rather than see me "left at the door".  Which I would do the same if roles were reversed.  Regardless......I wouldn't "Dictate" what arena they'll be allowed to go to.

Perhaps it isn't a "Cap" problem after all.

<S>
Rokit

Rokit, you're right, there are workarounds but the problem I have with the arena caps is that often it isn't just that the blue arena typically has way few people but the map often is less desirable too. 

The map in blue last night is a good example.  Because of the layout (most AFs had 2 VBs separating them) it made for longer than normal flight times to find the enemies.  That in turn meant that you would find a good fight and then go 15-20 minutes before another one develops.  That just hurts the population of the room more because the short attention span crowd will just go to the DA until they can get into orange it seems. 

The lower room population hindered the action as well as it seemed most of the members of the other two teams were fighting in the NW corner of the map that wasn't accessible to us (knights.)  Now I realize we could have changed teams but I happen to like flying with most of the people that fly knights regularly that aren't in my squad.  It's also helpful that the squad stays primarily on one team so that when other squadmates log on, we can fly with them too without having to change sides or make them change sides.  We know where to find each other when we log on, it's convenient.  Anyway, we had 4 guys on last night and we really wanted to go to orange but it was capped pretty much until the caps were dropped for the evening.

Contrast that with Tuesdays where nobody gets split up, there's no need to change teams, you can always find several good fights and the fights are bigger and more epic.  I love Tuesdays.  The other days last week weren't terrible as the map in blue was actually preferable to the one in orange.  I actually was logging on and going into blue even if orange had room.  It seemed others were too as the population of the two rooms was pretty close to the same most of the week, even at off peak times. 

The suggestion here seems obvious.  If the arena caps are something that isn't going to go away, at least set the map rotation in blue to just the most popular maps so that people actually want to fly in there without being forced to.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:58:19 AM »

:devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 11:12:49 AM »
The suggestion here seems obvious.  If the arena caps are something that isn't going to go away, at least set the map rotation in blue to just the most popular maps so that people actually want to fly in there without being forced to.

First there is 0,Nada, no, null difference between the 2 arenas including map rotation. Hence your statement that blue has less favorable maps is equivalent to saying the orange arena many has less favorable maps.

Implementing your idea would give people more of an excuse as to why they don't like the 2nd arena, because it doesn't have the map THEY like the best, or simply say because it has less terrains the the orange arena.

HiTech

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »
First there is 0,Nada, no, null difference between the 2 arenas including map rotation. Hence your statement that blue has less favorable maps is equivalent to saying the orange arena many has less favorable maps.

I didn't say the map rotations were different.  I realize they are the same.  What I said is that the map that was in blue last night was not a very fun one and the population reflected that.  I also said that the prior map in blue was more conducive to good fights and the population in blue seemed to be very good most of the time while that map was in play.  That's just my observations though, I can't back it up with anything but what I saw on the lobby numbers and what I experienced flying in blue.

Implementing your idea would give people more of an excuse as to why they don't like the 2nd arena, because it doesn't have the map THEY like the best, or simply say because it has less terrains the the orange arena.

HiTech

That's possible but I don't think it's likely.  I firmly believe that most people log in and if there is room in orange, that is where they are going to go regardless of the map that is currently in play there.  Their thinking is that more people equates to more action.  The problem is how do you get people to go to the other room without forcing them to by the cap?  I think that if the maps in blue are the ones that are most conducive to good aerial action, people will go there of their own volition.  I could be wrong but that certainly appeared to happen to me during this past weekend, Monday and Tuesday.

I'm not trying to tell you guys how to run your business.  I'm just a new guy trying to give some feedback on one of the few things I dislike about it. 

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »
1:08 pm est.

Orange: 174/100
Blue: 10/150

Is there something about AH I dislike more than arena balancing? No.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »
I think the arena names need to be changed........ :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »
I think the arena names need to be changed........ :D

They should rename the Orange Arena to the Pink Arena. That way us manly men will be forced to Blue. :D

:bolt:
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
1:08 pm est.

Orange: 174/100
Blue: 10/150

Is there something about AH I dislike more than arena balancing? No.

Wow, 8 whole minutes went by after caps begun...and numbers are skewed like that...oh the horror.  I better run to the forums and whine about how they don't instantly equalize.  :rolleyes:
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals