Author Topic: Plane Shopping again  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: Plane Shopping again
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »

I guess the problem with that is there isn't just one plane that can jabo, turn-fight at low alt during base defense, fly off a carrier, and BnZ during furballs.

Or is there?

There is.  It's called the F4U.

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »
There is.  It's called the F4U.

Was thinking the same thing.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline AAIbyteu

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 05:30:30 PM »
Ok, I'm not as good as most of these guys, but I have come to love the C205.  Good guns, not the best.  Good speed, not the best.  Pretty tough.  If you have not tried it, take it for a spin.  (no don't do that, one bad trait is the stall, hard to recover from) :salute
Oh and one other item, it only comes in one flavor - fighter mode.  So if you are hooked on your score, not a good bird until you get to know it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 07:24:35 PM »
There's no need for a specific plane to BNZ in... You can BNZ in a Pony as well as a Jug as well as a 109 as well as a P38 as well as a N1K2, as well as a etc... etc....

When you're diving on things you don't really need a high top speed, because the dive gives you speed. With few exceptions (parts shedding on the Ki84, controls locking up in a a6m2) most planes can be used in this role.

If you're only interested in practicing the moves, just use a plane you already like. Why go looking for a new one?

I'm a big proponent of flying all the craft in the game now and then, but do it for the fun of it, not because you want to only fly a certain way.

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »
Yak-9U, love this bird.  Just recently came back, used to fly the P-47 so was used to big fat birds. This Yak is a plane.

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 10:33:42 PM »
I guess the problem with that is there isn't just one plane that can jabo, turn-fight at low alt during base defense, fly off a carrier, and BnZ during furballs.

Or is there?

I thought of the F4U too but actually I'd take the F6F-5.  Just my preference.  I think it's also easier to get used to but it's not particularily fast although it's got great BnZ potential.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:35:55 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »
Well I flew the FW A8  for most of the day and got good results with it, although admittedly most of my kills were of bombers.  I also flew the F4U using bnz tactics and managed to bag a Hellcat and an assist. Would have landed okay too if someone hadn't turned the CV....

I've also gotten good scores with the Yak, but mostly because of it's acceleration on the deck. It was sort of my go-to plane for low alt fights without much turning and I got a career high 4 kills out of one.  Love to fly it too, but the ammo is a bit short.

I'll probably get back to the La5, but it's downfall is a lack of range.  On some maps the fly out eats up a lot of gas.  For now though, I'm sticking with the A8.

Great to hear all the suggestions though.  Makes me want to fly them all.  (and I probably will).

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 02:12:19 PM »
definetly a jug (p47) but the climb rate depends on model jug through experince i found the d25 model has good acceleration and climb better than the rest of jugs. and with 1700mgs in each wing you should be able to take out plenty of planes as of turn rate not the best but with flaps you can  perform impossible maneuvors, as of toughness, jugs id say to be the best, once i was hit by an ap round from a t34 and she still kept flying it was amazing

if you want to see some of those crazy maneuvors search this vid on youtube its called hunt or prey by lepape2 a phenomenal jug pilot <S> to him

RedTail

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 04:09:54 AM »
F4U or any of the American planes.

Personally I have been hooked on the A5, but thats because I like fighting spits in 190s.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 06:05:46 AM »
La7.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 12:39:37 AM »
Well I promised myself I'd stick to the A8 as an exercise in discipline, at least for the next couple of weeks.  I'm beginning to notice it's faults, but I've also gotten better at the tactics that can make it work. I'm flying it on medium-long distance fighter or strike missions.  It's tempting to want to transition to the Dora, but I want to get a good feel for the A8 first.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Okay, normally I'd not say this, but since you're still learning how things work in AH I will.

Ditch the 190. Seriously. Especially the A-8. It's a total pig, and even the best of pilots suffers for their art in one.

Take a D-9 or at most an A-5 if you MUST fly a Fw190.... Otherwise learn your moves in another plane.

The 190A8 just isn't worth learning in. Too many vices not enough talents. Same for the typhoon.

Normally I wouldn't say "don't fly that plane" but for learning purposes the A-8 sucks. You learn in other planes then move to the A-8, not vice versa :P

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 09:50:48 PM »
Well one thing I found out the hard way is that the A8 is completely outclassed by the spitsteen.  This week's Titanic Tuesday map seems to be favoring a wide-open, high speed style of combat (at least flying out of the Bish Valley into a swarm of red seems to!) and the A8 is easy pickings for spitsteens and Doras.  It can't out-turn them, and it can't out run them.  I had better luck upping a Dora.

Thing is, I'm finding that my flying style is adapting to whichever ride I choose after a while.  I'm tending to do more rolls (barrel and otherwise) even when I'm not flying an FW.

Okay, so I'm sticking to the FW's for now.  :)

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 10:48:17 PM »
Thing is, I'm finding that my flying style is adapting to whichever ride I choose after a while.

As it should! Bravo to that! Some folks get stuck and only run-run-run, or turn-turn-turn, etc.

As you get a feel for any given plane's abilities you'll manuver best to fit those. So if you're in a 190 and you run across a spit, you're NOT going to slow down and turn with it, right?

Same goes if you're in a spit against a P-47... You're not going to try and dive away from it, right?

That's part of the learning experience right there.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:04 AM »
Yeah I'm trying to use the plane comparison page to figure out the best strategy against each plane. I think the only birds I have to worry about as far as catching me in a flat-out low alt chase in a Dora are the La7 and the 'Stang, and even then it's going to be close. I can also use that roll rate very effectively.

Only thing is, if I up another bird I try to fly it like a 190...last night I had real trouble in the SA flying a zeke....darn thing can't dive too long without control issues.  Or if I up an La...heh...roll rate not so much.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows