Author Topic: Plane Shopping again  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Plane Shopping again
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:08:02 PM »
After a full month of playing I think I know what I'd like in an aircraft. So here's the stats I'm looking for (out of 5)

Hitting Power 5
Turn rate 3-4
Climb rate 3
Toughness 3-4
Speed 4

Any suggestions?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Re: Plane Shopping again
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:12:33 PM »
190D
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »
Tiffie or P47

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
I'm thinking possibly K4, but the hitting power of a 5 would depend if you count getting close and personal for it with the mk108.  Deffinitly not a plane for amateurs however.  I'd actually rate the K4 as this:

HP - 2/5 *
TR - 3
CR - 5
T - 3
S - 5

* up close it's a 5 with the MK108 30mm

The 190 Dora would also closely fit the bill but it's turn rate I'd place closer to a 2 then a 3, and it's hitting power is easier to take advantage of then the K4's.  Either plane is a great energy fighter.

:salute
BigRat

When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »
After a full month of playing I think I know what I'd like in an aircraft. So here's the stats I'm looking for (out of 5)

Hitting Power 5
Turn rate 3-4
Climb rate 3
Toughness 3-4
Speed 4

Any suggestions?

If you take your time to get used to the handling quirks:

The ratings pretty much describe a TA 152H, particularly the 5 in hitting power. Turn rate is on lower end of 3 though
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »

Hitting Power 5
Turn rate 3-4
Climb rate 3
Toughness 3-4
Speed 4

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking, Why would you limit yourself to one or two planes?

All the planes have strengths, and weakness. Some of them the strength is they are just darn fun to fly.  You'll get a bunch of answers to fit your list, P38 all, P47 early models, F6F, F4u a couple of the 109s. The fun of this game is the variety of this game. There are lots of things to do, and lot of things to do them with. 

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
I suppose that's true.  I'd just like to find something that will give me a good mix of what I like in a ride.  I suppose there's not just one plane that's going to suit. Right now what I'm trying to learn is bnz and energy tactics, so I'm trying to find a plane I can fly on a regular basis in this mode.  I've had some good luck in the FW A8 for example.

What I'm having trouble with is getting a decent shot when I dive in.  Either the plane breaks away or I can't get the shot off in time.  Also, reversing is a problem for me in the high speed aircraft.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »
Mosquito.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:22:08 PM »
too fragile.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »

Hitting Power 5
Turn rate 3-4
Climb rate 3
Toughness 3-4
Speed 4

Any suggestions?

My advivice...whatever plane you pick fly it for 6 months, almost exclusively. This does not mean you should not learn the strenghts and weaknesses of other planes.

Learning the subtle nuisances of a plane can make the difference between a mediocre and a great cartoon pilot....the only way you will learn those nuisances is by avoiding jumping between tons of different planes.

My 2 cents.
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51:06 AM »
6 months? Dude until I got married most of my relationships didn't last that long!

It's not you, it's me....really.

:)

I guess the problem with that is there isn't just one plane that can jabo, turn-fight at low alt during base defense, fly off a carrier, and BnZ during furballs.

Or is there?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »

Hitting Power 5
Turn rate 3-4
Climb rate 3
Toughness 3-4
Speed 4

Any suggestions?

Muzzy don't even listen to those fools.  Fly the plane with the golden wings.  LA 5/ LA 7

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »
Da, comrade, I do fly the LA5 a lot and have good success with it.  I just have trouble with the ballistics on the guns.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:58:02 AM »
Keep flying it, and keep your shooting short range until you master it Muzzy.