Author Topic: Fighter tactics questions from a newb  (Read 911 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Fighter tactics questions from a newb
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »
If you want to work on your BRD, or anything else for that matter don't hesitate to ask for help when you see me in the TA.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Roadblck

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 01:02:11 PM »
If you want to work on your BRD, or anything else for that matter don't hesitate to ask for help when you see me in the TA.

Thanks Sik1!  I'll definitely grab you the next time we're both on.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 01:21:02 PM »
High bandit

Option one.....put your tail on the bandit. Do not allow him to get directly above you. If you create horizontal separation you force him to come down to you. If he decides to chase you a magical thing happens. He dives. He reaches his maximum speed and is still diving, trying to close. If he is silly enough to dive down to your altitude or below he will soon equalize his energy state to yours. A timid high bandit like the one you encountered only requires this extension away. Extend towards friendlies. He will soon go do something else. A TERMINATOR will dive and chase you, squandering his energy advantage. Let him come down to your altitude and equalize energy state. Once he is level or below and has slowed to close to his normal speed in level flight you will have your choice of things to do. You can proceed in the direction you or going or you can drag the bandit to a spot you like and then turn and kill him. It is a great method for dragging a high bandit out of a furball and then killing him in peace off out of the way.

Here is a film demonstrating the technique. The Brewster had been following me for quite a long time between 3 and 5K above me. He finally realized I wasn't going to climb to fight him and dove to chase me. Watch the speeds and altitudes until I reverse.

Extend to equalize E State

Option two....step one didn't work or you didn't try it. The bandit is diving and will reach guns range with plenty of energy advantage. Begin an energy conserving break turn as described here and here

There are films in those links that demonstrate break turn technique as well as explanation.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:38:50 PM by Dawger »

Offline Roadblck

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 01:43:22 PM »
High bandit

Option one.....put your tail on the bandit. Do not allow him to get directly above you. If you create horizontal separation you force him to come down to you. If he decides to chase you a magical thing happens. He dives. He reaches his maximum speed and is still diving, trying to close. If he is silly enough to dive down to your altitude or below he will soon equalize his energy state to yours. A timid high bandit like the one you encountered only requires this extension away. Extend towards friendlies. He will soon go do something else. A TERMINATOR will dive and chase you, squandering his energy advantage. Let him come down to your altitude and equalize energy state. Once he is level or below and has slowed to close to his normal speed in level flight you will have your choice of things to do. You can proceed in the direction you or going or you can drag the bandit to a spot you like and then turn and kill him. It is a great method for dragging a high bandit out of a furball and then killing him in peace off out of the way.

Here is a film demonstrating the technique. The Brewster had been following me for quite a long time between 3 and 5K above me. He finally realized I wasn't going to climb to fight him and dove to chase me. Watch the speeds and altitudes until I reverse.

Extend to equalize E State

Option two....step one didn't work or you didn't try it. The bandit is diving and will reach guns range with plenty of energy advantage. Begin an energy conserving break turn as described here and here

There are films in those links that demonstrate break turn technique as well as explanation.

Thanks for the info and links, Dawger.