Author Topic: Johnny Johnson, maths and the 1989 Society of Test Pilot report; revisited.  (Read 22638 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Johnny Johnson, maths and the 1989 Society of Test Pilot report; revisited.
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2010, 06:01:46 AM »
they share the same turn rate

you should have just left it at this.

everything else in that paragraph and the quotes after it are either wrong or utterly irrelevant to the question. thats 5 words out of about 270 that actually make sense, less than 2%.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2010, 09:08:31 AM »
I would be curious to know what is your understanding of these quotes...

Gaston

I think they are 100% equivalent in logic to the following.

If pigs could fly, and the fw was flown by a pig then  maybe they will both turn  at the same rate.

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2010, 11:17:20 AM »
Hitech porked the FW.   :bolt:

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2010, 04:12:44 PM »

Hi,

It depends on how you set up or what kind of joystick you have.
I have a used/preowned Microsoft Sidewinder Force feedback 2 that's set-up correctly, and flying a 190 is very pleasing when going to furballs in dueling arena.

I feel bad for those thata have to fly 190s with cheap logitecs and saiteks sticks with short throws since the 190 is kinda sensitive at low speeds.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »

I read in one of Gastons posts that he was talking of down throttling. If he means that when you start your turn its best to stay at full throttle then disagree. As i  believe that to turn and bank a fighter quicker you have to throttle back as you start the turn then throttle up on the exit the same Way you take a Formula 1 car round the track you come to a corner you reduce speed and p on the exit. I believe that is done to corner faster and corner with less G force and to keep the car/ plane as stable as can be and more responsive in the turn.

Example you are on the tail of a 109 in the turn you throttle back into the turn thus lessen the G's so you can maintain CONTROL WITHOUT BLACK OUT. Also it serves as a plus that is if you get bounced you can roll out and dive and have extra power for a faster accelerating which can save you.

Again i probally haven't read it fully or properly. :)

BulletVI
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Only if pigs could fly!!

:salute

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2010, 04:51:26 PM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Only if pigs could fly!!

:salute

So I guess Schlowy4 can stop blaming me now for porking the FW 190 and everything else German.   :D

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gaston

• Copper Member
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »

Funny, I thought a lot of self-confident hot shots had just been demonstrated by Hitech as being incapable of properly understanding the concept of a "vertical turn" IN THE MEANING INTENDED BY THE TEXT...

Gaston

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2010, 07:04:30 AM »
"If a spit and an fw are both traveling 320 mph and pulling and maintain 6's. Which plane will turn faster?"

Unfortunately my intelligence is not enough to comprehend the pig anecdote by Hitech so can anybody in peanut gallery explain how these two planes could have a different turn rate if it was presumed that their speed does not drop and they both can generate constant 6G:s? Wasn't that the original presumption?

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2010, 10:36:45 AM »
  Funny, I thought a lot of self-confident hot shots had just been demonstrated by Hitech as being incapable of properly understanding the concept of a "vertical turn" IN THE MEANING INTENDED BY THE TEXT...

Gaston

Keep clinging to that.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
"If a spit and an fw are both traveling 320 mph and pulling and maintain 6's. Which plane will turn faster?"

Unfortunately my intelligence is not enough to comprehend the pig anecdote by Hitech so can anybody in peanut gallery explain how these two planes could have a different turn rate if it was presumed that their speed does not drop and they both can generate constant 6G:s? Wasn't that the original presumption?

-C+

That is the point charge, they will by definition turn at exactly the same rate. I't is a very simple question.

Now if you know a basic math logic (basic if then definitions) that the condition (if A then b) statement is always true if the b condition is always true.

Hence my response

I think they are 100% equivalent in logic to the following.

If pigs could fly, and the fw was flown by a pig then  maybe they will both turn  at the same rate.

Is simply saying since b is true (i.e. they will turn at exatly the same rate) I can make "A" anything I want, No matter if "A" is true or false "B" and the entire statement will always be true.

I.E. If it is 90 deg today the planes will turn at the same rate. It simply does not make any difference what the A part of the statement is. Because they will always turn the same rate.

So now read Gaston's statement about turning the same rate if good pilot extera. That part of the statement before the They will turn the same is as relevant as pig's flying.

Now this also is the same as the statements about the use of the term "vertical turn" Gastons conclusion about it's use in that contexts has nothing to do with it's normal use in aviation. And also does not prove his conclusions about the turn rates of planes. The simple fact that Gaston could not recognize a very simple question who's answere was (they turn the same rate) shows a tad about his other logic and understanding of very simple physical concepts.

Since Gaston  has shown such a lack of understanding,and all people here who completly understand the physics of flight disagree with him, his only recourse is to say you can't use math to prove things (even though with out math you can not prove anything, because the the theory of if a then b and if b then c makes the statement if a then b true, is math) and  by definition to do a proof of anything you must use math logic.

The key difference is knowledgeable  people read articles like this and apply the pilot statements with the knowledge of physics and can understand the why of the situation. And can better see what the pilot is describing.

The spit fire driver saying that he pulled harder to the stage of graying out pretty much shows the why the FW was turning faster. The spitfire driver did not mention wanting to stall at all. So I think it is a reasonable assumption to say the spitfire was traveling very fast most likely above corner speed. Once both planes are faster then their corner speed, turn performance will be determined simply by speed where the slower plane who's is still at or above his cornering speed wins the turn. The spitfires better move would be to simply raise the nose and there by slow to corner speed. Would normally eat the fw for lunch in the turn.

So which makes more since, interpreting the description via a method that does not defy basic physics, or coming up with complete crank theory about how the fw is really a better turner then the spit?

HiTech

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
Thx, Hitech.  :aok

-C+

"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »

For example a race car slows to corner better and faster 

A fighter does the same you slow up you turn tighter whilst powering into the turn to save from stalling.

It simple logic the faster you are the more wider the turn  at medium speeds you turn better at slow speeds you turn even better but run the risk of staling.

this i believe covers all aircraft. Except when you have one aircraft hats slower than the other i.e a Zero againts a Spit 8 theZero will always turn better due to its top speed being less than the Spit 8. And its weight plays a helping part aswell.

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »

For example a race car slows to corner better and faster 

Actually it slows in order to limit G to a point where grip (on the road) is maintained or controlled at max speed for the bend. It wiil take the widest  line that allows this (unless defending a line).  Given the car (or bike) slows (brakes) to hit this speed an additional dynamic is added whereby the point of transition from deceleration to acceleration defines the optimum apex and  apex speed. For bikes  this  ( optimum apex point) changes for differing types when considering the acceleration characturistic of differing bikes and the differing grip qualities of tyres and suspension set ups.

Defining a "vertical turn". As discussed above this is not a common RAF term. I believe that the present RAF description is a "Wing vertical turn"  for  the manouvre now assumed.

I  haved asked some folk at Cranwell to garner an expert opinion on what JJ might have meant.
Ludere Vincere

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »
yes but you slow in an aircraft aswell to tighten the turn and to reduce G effects to around 3 G's i do believe :)