Author Topic: Newbie Environment questions  (Read 535 times)

Offline Baldrick

• Zinc Member
Newbie Environment questions
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:31:46 AM »
Hi there!

I 've started to look into level bombing, and have some questions about the environment.

1. is there a max radar altitude, will say above which you won't show up on radar? The min alt is
   64 ft?
2. is the cloud base the same in every map? Could it change on different times?
3. Is there ever any wind?
4. is it useful (for stealth) to fly within the cloud layer while cruising to/from the target?
5. is there a schedule about the terrain/map usage for the main areas anywhere?
6. I guess the layout of airfields, vehicle bases, cities etc is identical for each category (e g a city)?
    Is each category oriented the same way (NSWE), for all countries, on all maps? 
7. Are there any parameters that can be queried regarding the above in the
   online areas?

Thanks a lot!

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
Re: Newbie Environment questions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 01:40:54 AM »
Hi there!

I 've started to look into level bombing, and have some questions about the environment.

1. is there a max radar altitude, will say above which you won't show up on radar? The min alt is
   64 ft?
No.

2. is the cloud base the same in every map? Could it change on different times?

No. Yes.

3. Is there ever any wind?

I do not think so.

4. is it useful (for stealth) to fly within the cloud layer while cruising to/from the target?

The large neon sign above your head sorta gives you away whether you are in or out of cloud cover. If you are flying in an arena or event that has icons off, or limited icon range, then yes, it is useful to remain elusive.

5. is there a schedule about the terrain/map usage for the main areas anywhere?

Nope.

6. I guess the layout of airfields, vehicle bases, cities etc is identical for each category (e g a city)?

Yep.

online areas?

It is late, and I am dumb. Restate the question, please.

Thanks a lot!

No problem.

O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 02:40:08 AM »
1. Hmm. I think radar has been set back to 500'. I see it as 500' in arena settings when loading MA terrains offline. There used to be a maximum altitude for radar, but I don't know if it's been tested lately. It used to be >36,000', I believe.

2. Clouds are different for each terrain. They can change.

3. The standard in the Main Arenas is no wind. Wind is set many times in the Special Events Arenas.

4. I would advise it is not useful. Altitude and speed are the best attributes to have.

5. There is a set rotation for Main Arena maps, which obviously changes as maps are updated or added, but I don't know of a list of the rotation. Someone would have to play every day for quite a while to note the map rotation. Perhaps Lusche has this information, he's detail oriented enough to do it. He may even have made it into a pie chart.

6. Towns, Cities (and the entire "strategic" area), Large airfields and most all Medium airfields are oriented as you see them in the clipboard maps - north is to the top. Ports are oriented to the terrain. Vehicle fields and small airfields are sometimes rotated 90 or 180 degrees.

7. You post covers a variety of things, so I don't think there is a single repository of all the information. Some of it is found on the BBS here in the Terrain Editor section. Some are found in the Help section (http://hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/index.html). Some of it comes from experience and a curiosity to explore the game.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:41:49 AM by Rolex »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 05:43:29 AM »
To clarify the current MA radar settings:

Base radar range is back to 12 miles.
Dot dar (inside working radar ring) minimum altitude is 65ft
Sector darbar altitude is still 500ft.

there is no maximum radar altitude I know of, if there is one it would be above 50K at least.

5. There is a set rotation for Main Arena maps, which obviously changes as maps are updated or added, but I don't know of a list of the rotation. Someone would have to play every day for quite a while to note the map rotation. Perhaps Lusche has this information, he's detail oriented enough to do it. He may even have made it into a pie chart.

Sorry, not this time. I'm currently tracking some other data  :noid
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:52:30 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:01:23 AM »
Hi there!

64 ft?NO. IF YOU'RE above 65ft alt, you're visible, unless the radar tower for that base has been destroyed.
2. is the cloud base the same in every map? Could it change on different times?the solid cloud layer is always at 15,000 ft alt. there are some cumulus clouds at varying alts though.
3. Is there ever any wind?not yet, but i personally think this would be a VERY fun addition to the game.
4. is it useful (for stealth) to fly within the cloud layer while cruising to/from the target?no. however, if i'm not going to 20 or 22k alt, for long range bombing mission, i will fly just below the cloud layer, usually at about 14,500. the reason for this, is that although the bad guy can still see your icon, it is much harder for him to see your aircraft through the clouds, and often spoils his "slashing" type of attacks.
5. is there a schedule about the terrain/map usage for the main areas anywhere?this one i don'tknow
6. I guess the layout of airfields, vehicle bases, cities etc is identical for each category (e g a city)?reference this thread....   http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,295234.0.html    there are some incredible maps in there, and they're very helpful for choosing your target before you get there. and thanks again to all you guys that made those maps.
   online areas? i don't understand what you're asking on this one?

Thanks a lot!

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »
To clarify the current MA radar settings:

Base radar range is back to 12 miles.
Dot dar (inside working radar ring) minimum altitude is 65ft
Sector darbar altitude is still 500ft.

there is no maximum radar altitude I know of, if there is one it would be above 50K at least.

Sorry, not this time. I'm currently tracking some other data  :noid

they still have the expanded rings in midwar. a bad guy won't flash the base till he hits the 12 mile mark though.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Baldrick

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
very, very helpful. thank you, ladies and gentlemen.

regarding question 7, I just wondered if there is a dot command or something similar
showing the current radar and cloud settings.
Offline you can see the arena-, and probably also terrain-parameters (terrain editor?),
this is not possible online.

but I guess no such command exists.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »
very, very helpful. thank you, ladies and gentlemen.

regarding question 7, I just wondered if there is a dot command or something similar
showing the current radar and cloud settings.
Offline you can see the arena-, and probably also terrain-parameters (terrain editor?),
this is not possible online.

but I guess no such command exists.

for radar, just look at the map. if the ring is red, then the radar is down. you will still make a "bar dar", but no one will be able to see exactly where you're at by the dot. if the ring is white, then the radar is up.

as for ground elevation, some maps have a "legend" in one of the corners, denoting the ground elevation by the color. the map currently up in midwar has one such legend.

if there is no legend, then look at the bases. there is the field alt designated, and this'll give you a good idea as to the ground elevation surrounding said base.
 if you don't see the field alt, then put your cursor over the map, and right click.....you'll get some options. about half way down, will be field elevation. click that, and then the elevation above sea level will be displayed.

this is also important for short bombing runs, as you need to be 7,000 feet AGL of the base you're bombing, in order to stay out of its ack.

if you're hitting an aircraft carrier, at 7,000 ft, you'll be above the auto ack, but there'll still be puffy ack that can get ya.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"