Author Topic: Starter or good learning Planes  (Read 1242 times)

Offline monkeylove

• Zinc Member
Starter or good learning Planes
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »
What planes are forgiving and competitive for newbies and also might take someone a long way in the game?

What are some of the more rounded airplanes, ok at most everything.( attack, fighter at various alts, toughness?)

I like the corsair but get the sneaky feeling it a tough plane to master.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Starter or good learning Planes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
I like the corsair but get the sneaky feeling it a tough plane to master.

That's true, but if you like it, you should not be discouraged to choose it as your main ride, even though I usually would not recommend it for starters.
Being fond of a certain plane is one of the best reasons to fly it, and it can be much more fun than simply choosing the "most efficient" ride.

That being said, if one has no particular preferences in the first place, a good plane to start in themain arena is one of the Spits, notably 8 & 9. Good firepower, good views and very forgiving handling, very good at actual fighting. It allows you to learn the game and basic ACM without having to pay too much attention of your planes's quirks or limitations. The drawbacks are fragility and some lack of top speed (but certainly no lack in acceleration)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »
The Corsair is a relatively tricky plane for the newer folk. Once you fly it for a few tours, you get used to it. It sports good turn, zoom climb, roll rate, and dive abilities. But there are many other aircraft that are significantly more difficult to master. P-38 is one of several. I have flown the 38 for over a year and I still get my arse handed to me nearly every time I fly. But that doesn't help that I fly straight into the furballs like a fool.

I think the majority of the AH community will tell you that the best planes to learn to start flying in are the Spitfires, Hurricanes, and perhaps Ki84 and N1K. I personally wouldn't spend too much time learning the "easy-mode" planes once you get the hang of the game.

If you really want to become a very good stick, you will need to challenge yourself. Flying planes like the 109, P-47, P-38, P-40s, Mosquito and other bigger, and heavier, aircraft will help you expand your understanding of ACM (aerial combat manuevers). You also have the AH Training Staff at your disposal. They are a great help in teaching you the fundamentals of ACM and how to get the most out of your plane. Also don't hesitate to run to the DA and ask some folk for some 1v1s. They are also good learning resources.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:56:20 PM by Plazus »
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 04:33:14 PM »
monkeylove,

If the Corsair is your ultimate goal, you can start with it.  Just be ready for some frustration with it at times.  It's a very busy aircraft, and an aircraft you have to be very conscience of your E state.  The reason we normally recommend the spitfire series is that, it all but eliminates the flap work, since it only has one flap setting.  With a Corsair you will wear out your flap buttons.  So the Spits are good for working on the ACM part of the game, without overloading someone with flying the plane at the same time.  So basically what Lusche said.

:salute
BigRat

When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
For beginners I recommend the spitfire, P51 and N1K2. Once you get the hang of maneuvers, I would switch to a slightly heavier and bulkier craft such as the 190, F4f and F6f. Once you get the hang of bigger and bulkier plane, I would switch to the F4U and start learning it. Transition is key to learning any plane well. I learned the zeke by starting out with a spitfire and P51. I moved to the zeke right away and it was great.

The community is here for ya if you need us. Keep asking questions, most guys in here don't bite.  :D

You may see me or a trainer in the TA every so often if you hit a snag, but the only really true way to win experience is getting into the MA's

Good luck flying.  :cheers:
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:02:07 AM »
I personally wouldn't spend too much time learning the "easy-mode" planes once you get the hang of the game.
You will hear this a lot even though it is not true. Spits and a few other planes are "easy mode" only if you put two "2-weekers" behind the sticks and let them duel. The potential of spits in particular extends very far and into many styles of fighting beyond stick pulling, though they will tempt you to do it, while other planes will FORCE you to adopt different styles.

The first stage you need to go through is the SA (situational awareness) and some basic maneuvers. You can learn these in any plane, and you will get your bellybutton handed to you not matter what you choose, so pick one that you are most comfortable in.

Once you start to understand the battle around you and how dogfights look like, many will transition to faster rides that are easier to survive in simply by running. Ignore the runstag (P51), hunstag (190), Lgay7 (LA7) etc. comments and learn your BnZ, energy management and how to disengage from a fight you are loosing. This stage is not about killing, it is about surviving engagements and getting to land some kills.

Then you normally focus on a single plane you want to master, though absolutely nothing prevents you from going though all these stages in a single plane. I still recommend trying out all the planeset, just to know your enemies if not for the fun of it.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:57:58 AM »
Definitely try out the whole plane set, in the Training Area especially because you will get good advice there.

As a noob I did not like the Spit because it's tricky to take off and land in, the mix of guns and cannon can be a bit of a headache, and it can be a very unforgiving ride at times, stalling or spinning out at high speed.

The easiest plane to fly at low alt is the Brewster.  It's very forgiving and not likely to stall out, and it's 4X.50 gun mix is good enough to get the job done. It's very slow so you won't catch anything, but as a furballing plane it's amazing.

Off a carrier the easiest rides are the FM 2, which is a lot like the Brew, and the F6F.

All of the above planes have one characteristic that can help a newbie pilot: stability. You won't have to worry about the bird stalling or spinning out on you. They are also quite durable, which is nice since you will likely be taking a ton of lead for a while. :)

The Yak-9U is a nice intermediate noob plane.  It's got a good mix of qualities but it has a short effective ammo load. I'd try the La5 as well once you've got the hang of flying.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:00:05 AM by Muzzy »

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »
109F.
-AoM-

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 05:05:28 PM »
Spits a weeny plane, should give you some help  :aok :lol

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Online SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »
109F.

With all this posting, does this mean you will be back in the virtual skies soon?

As has been said. If you like the 4U use it...It will be hard but after a tour or two things will start to click...film your sorties and take note of things that make you wonder...watch the film from inside and out of your plane and take note of what things are looking like..use the trails function of the film viewer also, this will show your path and that of who you are fighting... also check out others around you in your films that are in similar planes and watch how they are moving...the instruments within will not read true in these but a visual comparison can be made...also chat to some of the better sticks you see..some will film sorties and may send you their films to watch (indicators and dials will read true)

Online SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »
Spits a weeny plane, should give you some help  :aok :lol

-BigBOBCH

Spit isn't a weenie plane..the way it is used (most of the time) is what makes it that way...many planes have weenie aspects to them....as for the spit...have you ever met Blade?...not your typical spit driver.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
With all this posting, does this mean you will be back in the virtual skies soon?

Looking at the second week of October
-AoM-

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 05:33:32 PM »
Spit isn't a weenie plane..the way it is used (most of the time) is what makes it that way...many planes have weenie aspects to them....as for the spit...have you ever met Blade?...not your typical spit driver.

Lol, spits are the easiest aircraft you can fly in the game.  There is a reason its recommended for new players.

-BigBOBCH
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:44:31 PM by redman555 »
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline monkeylove

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 05:55:10 PM »
thank you all 

I think I need " The  Monkeylove Forum "  for all my questions

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »
Don't worry. Up until now I've been the question machine around here. It's nice to take a break for a while. :)

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"