Author Topic: Distance from main frame  (Read 2145 times)

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
Re: Distance from main frame
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »
I now have a headache...thanks all  :O

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 11:42:54 PM »
Retired

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 12:14:47 AM »
I think these are photos of the Aces High mainframes.

In the photo below, hitech (rear) prepares to reset the Orange Arena mainframe, while Skuzzy (foreground) monitors text chat.

In this photo below, Pyro and Silat (right) look over the Mid-War Arena mainframe.

Here we see Skuzzy adjusting the radar ring radius (RRR) of the Early-War Arena mainframe.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 12:25:47 AM »

In the photo below, hitech (rear) prepares to reset the Orange Arena mainframe, while Skuzzy (foreground) monitors text chat.
(Image removed from quote.)

In this photo below, Pyro and Silat (right) look over the Mid-War Arena mainframe.

Here we see Skuzzy adjusting the radar ring radius (RRR) of the Early-War Arena mainframe.
:rofl :rofl :rofl
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 08:19:48 AM »
When you dropped out, the Atmospheric pressure was one I assume?  But what measurement do you use?  Bars, pascals, atm's, perhaps you are that guy using psi?  Maybe you've got a barometer with 1 inch of mercury? 

What?  No.  I dropped out of high school sophomore year, but was studious enough to read about physics and other sciences on my own. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:31 PM »

I don't think that is Skuzzy, there was no plastic pocket protector

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 01:38:19 PM »
What?  No.  I dropped out of high school sophomore year, but was studious enough to read about physics and other sciences on my own. 

How long does it take light to travel from Uranus to your head?

I'm pretty sure I've very unstudiously ( ?) read somewhere that it takes years for light to travel from stars to our earth.

If you are basicly trying to say that fiber optic lines are faster than wired connections, I believe that you're right.

But instantly? I call BS, and would suggest you delve a little deeper into the subject.

"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2010, 01:51:25 PM »
Come on 1Boner, he read all about physics............  Yet he fails to realize that if he were correct, we would all be living in total darkness. 

But instantly? I call BS, and would suggest you delve a little deeper into the subject.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 01:51:41 PM »
hold on,let me grab a ruler.

:huh   :huh   You cannot measure the speed of light with a RULER!!!!!

;)   Here...... you will need my stop-watch too!     :rofl
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 04:41:16 PM »
Interestingly, scientists estimate that it takes a few hundred thousand years for photons, the basic units of light, to escape the Sun's core and reach the surface. They arrive at Earth about 8-and-a-half minutes later, where we can bask in the warm glow of light waves initiated long before sunscreen was invented.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_shine_030403.html
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
When you dropped out, the Atmospheric pressure was one I assume?  But what measurement do you use?  Bars, pascals, atm's, perhaps you are that guy using psi?  Maybe you've got a barometer with 1 inch of mercury? 

Torrs, I found it was one by using the ideal gas laws.  Since oxygen has a mole of oxygen is 32g, it can be concluded there pressure outside is only ever at one atmosphere.  However when you go deep under the ocean the pressure gets very light, because you are so far from the sky.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »
Interestingly, scientists estimate that it takes a few hundred thousand years for photons, the basic units of light, to escape the Sun's core and reach the surface. They arrive at Earth about 8-and-a-half minutes later, where we can bask in the warm glow of light waves initiated long before sunscreen was invented.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_shine_030403.html

Lol?  You're going to have to find a better source than space.com, any kid could have bought up that domain name and put whatever he wants on there.  Find a .gov that says the same thing.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2010, 06:40:10 PM »
Torrs, I found it was one by using the ideal gas laws.  Since oxygen has a mole of oxygen is 32g, it can be concluded there pressure outside is only ever at one atmosphere.  However when you go deep under the ocean the pressure gets very light, because you are so far from the sky.

:rofl :cry
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
Sorry, that should have been "since oxygen has a mole value of 32g/mole."

edit:  If necessary I could walk you through the math, LLogann.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:44:15 PM by mensa180 »
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
Lol?  You're going to have to find a better source than space.com, any kid could have bought up that domain name and put whatever he wants on there.  Find a .gov that says the same thing.

Seriously??  Ok...how about this then..

"The Question
(Submitted April 14, 1998)

Why does it take so long for a photon to escape from the sun? How would the amount of interactions affect this time?

The Answer
The core of the Sun is extremely hot, many millions of degrees, so electrons are stripped from their atoms. This means that there are a lot of free electrons whizzing around in the Sun. With the densities that are typical for the core of the Sun (a few gm/cm3) there will be many interactions with photons. It is the density and the effective cross section of an electron , and the average velocity of an electron (usually determined from the temperature) which determine the amount of time for an interaction (or, actually, between interactions). The size of the Sun, and the average distance a photon travels between interactions ("mean free path") determines the number of interactions (its actually proportional to the square of (radius of sun)/ (mean free path). Once we plug in the right numbers for the Sun, I get a number of about 100,000 years. I think the more "official" number is about 1 million years.

Steve Bloom
for Ask an Astrophysicist
"

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/980414a.html

notice the '.gov' in the address?
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell