Author Topic: Distance from main frame  (Read 2147 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
Distance from main frame
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:07:54 AM »
Does my/our physical distance from the main frame of HTC heavily effect performance....ie: if HTC had a game center in Nevada and One in West Virginia only as an example, would this improve game performance for those who would now be closer to a game Main Frame, or simply cut the number of players in half & screw everything up for everyone. Seems to me, as a lay person, that the lag time between east & west coast is quite great? This question has nothing to do with me recent computer hacker attack/Trojan Virus, although my PC is a bit screwed up right now.  :headscratch:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Distance from main frame
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:09:19 AM »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:42:20 AM »
Your connection is quite literally electrons flowing through copper wire. Sometimes photons running through a glass filament. So, naturally, that would take some time longer to go longer distances. Add in that, the further you are, the more likely you'll have to pass through more routers and switching centers, each adding their own processing time into it. If you're accross an ocean, you're either running through something like the TransAtlantic Cable or up to a satellite and back, further delaying things.

So, yes.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »
The distance between Boise and Grapevine adds to some 20 milliseconds to your latency. Think about us here at the other side of the Atlantic, adding 1 millisecond for every 100 km/62 miles. IMHO you should consider your connections as platinum. If you have problems with your connections, it's not because of the distance.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
Your connection is quite literally electrons flowing through copper wire. Sometimes photons running through a glass filament. So, naturally, that would take some time longer to go longer distances. Add in that, the further you are, the more likely you'll have to pass through more routers and switching centers, each adding their own processing time into it. If you're accross an ocean, you're either running through something like the TransAtlantic Cable or up to a satellite and back, further delaying things.

So, yes.

Yeah but light doesn't have a speed limit, so it gets there instantly, this is also why nothing can go faster than light.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:01 PM »
Yeah but light doesn't have a speed limit, so it gets there instantly, this is also why nothing can go faster than light.

:huh

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
And the speed of light has to do with this conversation how?   :headscratch:  I'm so confused.

And just a quick note...... Light speed has a speed limit.  It does not teleport instantaneously.  And, I'll go you one even further..... In the vacuum of space, light reaches it's top speed.
See Rule #4

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »

Um...ever heard of E=MC^2? C=Speed of Light in a vacuum, which is 299,792,458 meters-per-second. So light does have a "speed limit," it's just a rather high one that, according to current widely accepted rules of physics, nothing can exceed. :) As a side note, I believe physicists have succeeded in bringing light to a stop.

And the speed of light has to do with this conversation how?   :headscratch:  I'm so confused.
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Sometimes photons running through a glass filament.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:16:47 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:17:08 PM »
Um...ever heard of E=MC^2? C=Speed of Light in a vacuum, which is 299,792,458 meters-per-second. So light does have a "speed limit," it's just a rather high one that, according to current widely accepted rules of physics, nothing can exceed. :)
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/

The OH school system works :D

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »
How can photon's run if they don't have legs?

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 08:17:47 PM »
LOL, nice try guys.  Try getting a flashlight and pointing it at the wall next to you, just TRY to measure how fast it takes light to get there... You can't, it's instant.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »
LOL, nice try guys.  Try getting a flashlight and pointing it at the wall next to you, just TRY to measure how fast it takes light to get there... You can't, it's instant.

hold on,let me grab a ruler.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »

I think I can do this, ma said I was good at fysiks and running at skool.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
The OH school system works :D

I wouldn't know. :p

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 08:23:45 PM »
Again..... You're wrong.  And not just by a little, by leaps and bounds.  Let me ask you this boy......  Is light, a wave, or is it matter?

See Rule #4