Author Topic: MY bombing run  (Read 1363 times)

Offline icejaff

• Zinc Member
MY bombing run
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:39:18 AM »
I am slowly getting better with my bombs Big Grin this time I actualy almost hit something.
Well I just want a bit of advice, in my bombers I always lose alot of hieght this one is ok as I only give him %50 fuel, but is there a way to get a good height.

Well I just need advice on the bombing as I said but can someone give me a few tips on how to be more accurate with my bombs and point out anything I am doing wrong in the flight.

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/7c320e5891_10.27MB

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: MY bombing run
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:34:27 AM »
Bombing is pretty easy once you have the basics down.

first, you almost NEVER need more than 25% fuel for any run.

Second, your load out, more is not always better. Decide what type of mission you are going on. If your going to take out hangers, you need the big bombs, if your going for the town, medium size bombs, and for carpet bombing the cites/factories or field supplies (ammo, troops, fuel) the small bombs.

Third decide the target. Once you know which base/factory your hitting up from a base at least 2 sectors away, 3 if you don't like fighting it out  :D

Forth, take off and auto climb toward your target. sometimes you may have to run one direction 10-20 miles then tun toward your target to get around a fight or something. Plan your trip to the amount of action you want.

Fifth, level at one sector out from your target. What ever the altitude you are at is your drop altitude. You need the sector of level flight to stabilize your speed. Well more like 3 quarters of the sector to stabilize, the last bit is to calibrate your bombsite.

sixth, as you close on your target, you will be between 12,000 and 20,000 feet, most likely running at max speed. Hit F6 to enter the bombsite. Hit "O" to open your doors, "U" to start the calibration. Press and hold down the "Y" key to calibrate. the longer you hold it the more accurate the drop calibration will be. 2 seconds is ok, I like to count to 10. then hit "U" again to get out of the calibration mode. the trick now is to NOT TURN YOUR PLANE! You can make corrections while in the bombsite (F6) by moving the stick left and right (which is moving the rudder ONLY while in the bombsite). If in any other view you move the stick, rudders, change alt or speed you have to re-calibrate everything.

last, drop your bombs as the cross hairs are over the target. You can hit "Z" to zoom in and I think it's the [] keys to move in and out. From 12k you can zoom close to a single building view which make hitting what you aim at pretty easy.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »
I am slowly getting better with my bombs Big Grin this time I actualy almost hit something.
Well I just want a bit of advice, in my bombers I always lose alot of hieght this one is ok as I only give him %50 fuel, but is there a way to get a good height.

Well I just need advice on the bombing as I said but can someone give me a few tips on how to be more accurate with my bombs and point out anything I am doing wrong in the flight.

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/7c320e5891_10.27MB

when i fly bombers, i usually fly lancs....so this mostly applies to them, but i think can help in other heavy bombers.

lancs can carry 14,000 lbs of ords, in different combinations. i prefer to take 14 1,000 bombs. you can always get rid of what you don't need, if you've got too much, but you can't add during flight. i generally load 50% fuel for most anything, except for the deepest runs into enemy territory. i load 75% for them, as i tend to go up much higher, and the extra climb time eats up a lot of that extra fuel. lancs will only climb at about 500fpm to 800fpm sustained, so you need to be patient. 
 i generally launch 2 to 3 sectors from my target. if i'm just playing, and hitting radar towers, or different things on a base, i will remain in the sector i launched in till i'm nearly 10,000 ft alt. at 10,000, i turn in the direction of my target. if i'm bombing fairly close, i level out around 14,000 or so....deep runs, i go well above 20,000.
 lancs need around 2 full sectors to stabalize their speed, if you're running full throttles during cruise. have your route planned before you even launch. calibrate very often, once you're in the radar ring, and try to make your last calibration within a few seconds of your drop. this helps accuracy a lot. i salvo one at a time, as i like to pick and choose my targets, rather than "carpet" bomb. almost forgot......when you're level and calibrating, open your bay doors early too. they make a difference in speed.

for base layouts, reference a thread by tildeath, called "color coded maps". there are several good maps in there by him, and various other members. they'll help you id targets.

gunning. never gun from the lead bomber. you can use the "ctrl 1, ctrl 2 or ctrl 3" commands to gun from the other bombers. i like to gun from the drone that is on the attackers right as he approaches from my six, as it seems a lot go for that one first. if i see em heading for the other side, it's very easy to switch to the other planes.

when you turn around to make another run, take your time. fly 10 or so miles out(if you're up at 10k or higher), as you do a slow turn. this will keep your drones with you. hard turns will cause them to lose you, and if they get too far out, they'll "pop".

most important thing of all. don't take anything too seriously in the game. it takes the fun out. just do what ya wanna do, and have fun at it.

one of my favorite things, is to wait and watch to see how close someone will fly up my six......then open up on em, and watch very large very important parts come off.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline tokenjo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
Good posts,

I hit combat trim, auto level, open doors( nuthin worse then forgetn that ).  You can use the nose gunner position
to help line up the run,  use the bracket keys " [ "  " ] ". To zoom in to help spot targets,  u can also use these in the bombsite to zoom in.   Watch your drop alt vs actual alt,  you can use the throttle to try & bring back or recalibrate.   

Good luck

tokenjo

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:01:59 AM »
t......when you're level and calibrating, open your bay doors early too. they make a difference in speed.

Absolutely true!  Once I learned that, I rarely miss anything.  Nice write-up Cap.   :aok
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
Absolutely true!  Once I learned that, I rarely miss anything.  Nice write-up Cap.   :aok

thanks.

i was trying to emphasize that in bombing, it takes patience, as nothing at all happens fast in bombers......it's a different kind of fun.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »
a couple things i forgot.

i've flown the b-24's rarely, but they are long range bombers. a low fuel load will take you a long way.
i've never flown a b-17, so i can't help with them.
i've flown the b-26 once or twice. it was short runs, so i've not much info on these either.
i've flown lancs as noted above a lot. they're long range, and again, low fuel will take you a long way.
i've flown ju-88's a lot. they are short range, and can carry quite a bit of ordinance.
ju-88's can carry 4 500kg bombs under the wings. that's 2,000kg(4400 pounds) with this loadout, they can carry 20 50kg bombs internally. that's 1,000kg(2200 pounds). this is a LOT of ords, and you'd be surprised at the damage you can create with those 50kg bombs.

b-17's and b-24's have the best defensive guns packages. there is nearly no angle to attack either of these bombers from that you can't bring your guns to bear on the attacker. personally, i suck in the 24's.

lancs have no protection from underneath, but the nose and tail guns can point pretty close to straight down. if you fly lancs, and see someone diving below your tail guns, you know it's someone that knows their stuff.

ju-88's are the worst defended of the ones i've flown. they only have 30 cal machine guns, but if the attacker mis-judges, they are very deadly. ju's have no guns to defend from the sides, or vertical attacks.

if you're gonna stick to bombers, pick one that best suits how you think you want to bomb, and stick with it. it takes practice to jump from one gun position to another quickly. this is the key to successful defense. there are some fighter pile-its that will make "fake" passes, forcing you to jump positions, and it is very easy to get confused as to where you are in the plane at this point.

if you notice a fighter "shadowing" you as you approach your drop point, continue your calibrations, but keep jumping back to the gun that best lets you check on him.
 a lot of fighter pile-its(myself included)will wait until you are at your drop point, and that's when we'll come in on you, knowing you're in the bombsight.
 sometimes when i'm in the bomber, i'll watch the fighter, and make minor adjustments as if i'm lining up the target. he'll almost always fall for it, and come barreling in directly on my six o'clock, making him an easy target. it messes up the drop, but gets the fighter out of your hair for the time being. in ju88's if he's below you, you may need to close the bay doors at the last minute, as they slightly obstruct the angles on the ventral guns.

be prepared to die a lot. it's ok though. film everything. you can watch the films later, and learn how they got ya. besides, you get unlimited planes for $.50 a day.

:aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »
i've flown the b-24's rarely, but they are long range bombers. a low fuel load will take you a long way.

Quick guide:
25 % fuel equals minutes of flight time (sea level):

B-17: 37
B-24: 31
Lancaster: 42
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:38:06 PM »
Quick guide:
25 % fuel equals minutes of flight time (sea level):

B-17: 37
B-24: 31
Lancaster: 42

thank ya sir!!

where's the chart to go with this?  :D :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »
thank ya sir!!

where's the chart to go with this?  :D :aok

Not ready yet, it's part of my "time to climb" charts I'm currently preparing for all formation bombers with various loadouts ;)

But someone once posted a complete pdf with fuel endurance of all planes in AH...  :headscratch:

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:42:42 PM »
a couple things i forgot.

i've never flown a b-17, so i can't help with them.
i've flown the b-26 once or twice. it was short runs, so i've not much info on these either.
i've flown lancs as noted above a lot. they're long range, and again, low fuel will take you a long way.
i've flown ju-88's a lot. they are short range, and can carry quite a bit of ordinance.
ju-88's can carry 4 500kg bombs under the wings. that's 2,000kg(4400 pounds) with this loadout, they can carry 20 50kg bombs internally. that's 1,000kg(2200 pounds). this is a LOT of ords, and you'd be surprised at the damage you can create with those 50kg bombs.

b-17's and b-24's have the best defensive guns packages. there is nearly no angle to attack either of these bombers from that you can't bring your guns to bear on the attacker. personally, i suck in the 24's.

lancs have no protection from underneath, but the nose and tail guns can point pretty close to straight down. if you fly lancs, and see someone diving below your tail guns, you know it's someone that knows their stuff.

ju-88's are the worst defended of the ones i've flown. they only have 30 cal machine guns, but if the attacker mis-judges, they are very deadly. ju's have no guns to defend from the sides, or vertical attacks.

if you're gonna stick to bombers, pick one that best suits how you think you want to bomb, and stick with it. it takes practice to jump from one gun position to another quickly. this is the key to successful defense. there are some fighter pile-its that will make "fake" passes, forcing you to jump positions, and it is very easy to get confused as to where you are in the plane at this point.

if you notice a fighter "shadowing" you as you approach your drop point, continue your calibrations, but keep jumping back to the gun that best lets you check on him.
 a lot of fighter pile-its(myself included)will wait until you are at your drop point, and that's when we'll come in on you, knowing you're in the bombsight.
 sometimes when i'm in the bomber, i'll watch the fighter, and make minor adjustments as if i'm lining up the target. he'll almost always fall for it, and come barreling in directly on my six o'clock, making him an easy target. it messes up the drop, but gets the fighter out of your hair for the time being. in ju88's if he's below you, you may need to close the bay doors at the last minute, as they slightly obstruct the angles on the ventral guns.

be prepared to die a lot. it's ok though. film everything. you can watch the films later, and learn how they got ya. besides, you get unlimited planes for $.50 a day.

:aok

What about the KI-67?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:51:43 PM »
What about the KI-67?

The Ki-67  is a quick climber and a fast traveling bomber @ 20k. Overall, it's more lightly armed (single guns, relatively little ammo, no ball turret) than a B-17 or B-24, with the notable & very nasty exception of a 20mm cannon on top (with a 180° firing arc to the rear). Enemy fighters often have some trouble to set up proper attacks vs a Ki-67 at altitude due to it's speed and the top cannon.

It's main drawback is it's very light bomb load (max 800kg=1760lbs), so it's not the best bomber for utter obliteration... but with it's speed it's a good porker (use the 8x100kg) loadout (I use it mostly that way)

Fuel duration is rather short, ~21 minutes per 25%, but the Ki is fast, and doesn't suffer much from taking 75% or 100% fuel: A fully loaded Ki-67 takes only 15 minutes to get to 20k

Personally, I basically used just two bomber models in the MA: The Ki-67 for quick pork runs against 1 or 2 bases, the B-17 when I need a good bombload and/or expect heavy opposition.
To me, the bigger bomb load of the 24 or Lancaster isn't really worth the higher vulnerability and worse altitude performance (I always plan not only to reach & hit my target, but to get back home, too)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:01:53 PM by Lusche »

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 12:42:54 AM »
The Ki-67  is a quick climber and a fast traveling bomber @ 20k. Overall, it's more lightly armed (single guns, relatively little ammo, no ball turret) than a B-17 or B-24, with the notable & very nasty exception of a 20mm cannon on top (with a 180° firing arc to the rear). Enemy fighters often have some trouble to set up proper attacks vs a Ki-67 at altitude due to it's speed and the top cannon.

It's main drawback is it's very light bomb load (max 800kg=1760lbs), so it's not the best bomber for utter obliteration... but with it's speed it's a good porker (use the 8x100kg) loadout (I use it mostly that way)

Fuel duration is rather short, ~21 minutes per 25%, but the Ki is fast, and doesn't suffer much from taking 75% or 100% fuel: A fully loaded Ki-67 takes only 15 minutes to get to 20k

Personally, I basically used just two bomber models in the MA: The Ki-67 for quick pork runs against 1 or 2 bases, the B-17 when I need a good bombload and/or expect heavy opposition.
To me, the bigger bomb load of the 24 or Lancaster isn't really worth the higher vulnerability and worse altitude performance (I always plan not only to reach & hit my target, but to get back home, too)

Double 50 cals in the tail,
Magical convergence setting which does absolutely nothing,
And turns almost as good as a Ki-84 when flown the right way.  :D

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 07:19:13 AM »
Double 50 cals in the tail

ooops, correct.  :aok

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 08:12:51 AM »
i was trying to emphasize that in bombing, it takes patience, as nothing at all happens fast in bombers......it's a different kind of fun.

Amen to that! It's not to say there is no action in it. You simply have to wait longer for it to heat up, and most times, especially when you send a heavy bomb group after something, it really does! :lol :aok
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"