Author Topic: Attention Duelling Arena pilots  (Read 9229 times)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
Re: Attention Duelling Arena pilots
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2010, 02:56:24 PM »
Here is the like to the official AH Events calendar.

http://ahevents.org/events-calendar.html

Good luck finding the AvA schedule on it.

And the AvA is listed as part of the AH Events

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2010, 03:33:53 PM »
Here is the like to the official AH Events calendar.

http://ahevents.org/events-calendar.html

Good luck finding the AvA schedule on it.

And the AvA is listed as part of the AH Events

that sounds like something that may need nothing more than a phone call to htc.

but on the other hand.....i can really see no problem with no schedule.

i'll pop in. if i can't get an aircraft i want to fly, then i'll go somewhere else. if i can, i stay. or maybe......juuust maybe......i may be inclined to try.......wait......women, children, and girly-men, cover your eyes and ears.............

i may be inclined to try something different. THERE!! i said it.  :neener: :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2010, 06:55:45 PM »
that sounds like something that may need nothing more than a phone call to htc.

but on the other hand.....i can really see no problem with no schedule.

i'll pop in. if i can't get an aircraft i want to fly, then i'll go somewhere else. if i can, i stay. or maybe......juuust maybe......i may be inclined to try.......wait......women, children, and girly-men, cover your eyes and ears.............

i may be inclined to try something different. THERE!! i said it.  :neener: :aok

A schedule is the first step in marketing something like the AvA.

Of course they can always go with with this for a slogan......

Axis versus Allies.....where WWII history is a mystery.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2010, 10:35:38 PM »
A schedule is the first step in marketing something like the AvA.

Of course they can always go with with this for a slogan......

Axis versus Allies.....where WWII history is a mystery.

actually, that IS a very good slogan. the real wars outcome was a mystery till it happened....... :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
Dawger, in your opinion, how far in advance do you think it should be scheduled?

Keep in mind, we are having some maps made and such and we want to get them into the rotation as quickly as they are finished.

We also want to try some new things, campaigns that haven't been written yet etc.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
This is something that eludes the staff of the AvA. There is no schedule.

Yes there is, we just keep it from you.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2010, 10:07:03 AM »
Dawger, in your opinion, how far in advance do you think it should be scheduled?

Keep in mind, we are having some maps made and such and we want to get them into the rotation as quickly as they are finished.

We also want to try some new things, campaigns that haven't been written yet etc.

The Aces High events calendar only goes out one month. The next month usually doesn't get published until the last ten days of the month. Right now only the September schedule is published.

So to answer your questions, one month.

Internally, the staff should be operating at least a few months in advance.

A good example of the frustration that comes without scheduling is this week's setup. The new map is keep up and called Okinawa and the plane set published is ridiculous. P38G in 1945 Pacific? Yet the setup is announced and implemented basically simultaneously. Of course, there are easily obtainable Okinawa plane sets. It is a pretty simple matter to use one of the existing Okinawa sets in the new terrain.

So one wonders why an existing set wasn't used.

I am holding the position that the lack of planning is what is causing such gross plane set errors. Of course it could be other factors but lack of planning is the most generous that comes to mind.

I am pushing for a schedule out of a desire to see the AvA succeed and become a popular alternative for players.

Without a published schedule the AvA is a place players either play in daily or not at all. Lacking the ability to easily discover if they have interest in the current setup, the AvA is easily forgotten.

There are some who want the AvA to be this way. They believe that in order to be a "true" AvA citizen you have to play there everyday no matter the setup. This ignores the reality of the game. People have their own interests. Even the FSO, an event that demands squadrons participation as a condition of enrollment allows for the preferences of the squadrons involved to be considered.

Publishing a schedule and then posting a forum post linking to the setup weekly will build the habit of folks checking the AvA schedule and planning online activities around the schedule. This is especially true for squadrons. I use the AH events calendar to plan squadron meets.

I see a few negative comments about my asking for a published schedule. One has to wonder why the opposition to the idea? What possible negative impact would a published schedule have?

The AvA better get moving. The new H2H is coming. It is supposed to be 32 player. When the average player has the ability to create exactly what the AvA is now, the AvA is done.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »
I only speak for myself. Anything I say does not necessarily represent a consensus among staff.

Each week a different staff member takes the reigns, There are times when a particular set-up proves to be popular and generates requests to extend it another week which would throw a schedule off.

The new map was added to the server on the last full day of my set-up.

For whatever reason it was loaded up automatically. When I went to check the arena, my setup was gone, and there were already 8 players flying the new terrain.

I decided not to kick everyone out by reloading my set-up and just decided to leave the new terrain up.

The map drew a lot of interest, so we made a decision to extend it and yes hastily put together a different plane-set.

If we had a whole series of made for AvA terrains that work well for the smaller population it would be much easier to develop an advance schedule, but right now we rack our brains trying to come up with things that will be popular on maps that will work and we aren't currently that far ahead.

For the week of October 21, I am working on a pacific campaign, I will announce it when it's fleshed out a bit more.

We don't have nearly as many active CM's as the SEA does so it's a bit more difficult for us to lock into a schedule unless we are simply going to throw a map and plane set in every week without considering objectives, special details and such.

Again, speaking just for myself and not AvA staff as a whole, I would like to see more advanced scheduling happen.

Being an underused arena, we are still trying to come up with a popular formula and that requires some flexibility.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2010, 07:35:56 PM »
how many people actually read the events calendar? or know it even exists for that matter?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
how many people actually read the events calendar? or know it even exists for that matter?

I would take a wild guess of at least 1/2 the subscribers will visit the AH Events page at least once a month if not more, depending on how many different events they participate in

as for the events calendar only, I would say a lot less, prob around 1/16th of the subscribers...... but most are already susbcribed thru emailers and through the AH events page.... so they have no need to go visit the events calendar....

they get it via email......   btw...... they do a great job of announcing on the special events forum about all other things, why not the weekly setup for AvsA arena???

just saying....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:32:50 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2010, 02:42:35 PM »

they get it via email......   btw...... they do a great job of announcing on the special events forum about all other things, why not the weekly setup for AvsA arena???

just saying....

+1 sir :salute
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba