Author Topic: Views on getting tracker IR  (Read 2151 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Views on getting tracker IR
« on: September 15, 2010, 05:11:06 AM »
Do you use it?
What are the pros and cons please
Thinking of getting it
Want some intel
Cheers
<S> Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Views on getting tracker IR
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:16:40 AM »
Do you use it?
Yes

What are the pros and cons please

pros: Immersion; frees up buttons on stick; slight advantage in planes with thick cockpit frames

cons: Price tag; very "personal" controller that needs a lot of adjusting in the beginning to find the golden setup; takes time to get used to.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:18:17 AM »
Some justify the money by the increased immersion factor. I get the same immersion in AH by spending the money on whisky.  ;)
-AoM-

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:00:06 AM »
Got track ir 5 been using it for a year immersion is great, hat switch is quicker  :old:
Takes couple of weeks to get used to, try and borrow it for couple of weeks.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ron

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:22:10 AM »
I used one for a short while.

I found it good for situational awareness, but had a problem with the forward view altering my gun site aim when moved my head, and thus my view.

I had to keep switching to non-IR to get an accurate gun site just prior to firing, and I found that to be a nuisance.

There may be an adjustment to overcome this i don't know about.
God Save the Queen..!

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:52:02 AM »
I used one for a short while.

I found it good for situational awareness, but had a problem with the forward view altering my gun site aim when moved my head, and thus my view.

I had to keep switching to non-IR to get an accurate gun site just prior to firing, and I found that to be a nuisance.

There may be an adjustment to overcome this i don't know about.

Me too. My experience EXACTLY.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:14:22 AM »
with the forward view altering my gun site aim when moved my head, and thus my view.

What do you mean by "altering gun sight aim"?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:15:28 AM »
Me too. My experience EXACTLY.

Ditto.......same thing with forward gunsight view, rear views are a bit challenging to get right also.

The best thing is the ability to track a con while you are engaged. Carefull though, if you are low it is easy to get yourself disoriented while you are tracking the enemy.

The vertigo can get to you till you get used to it. When you do though it's great

Offline H4RRY

• Zinc Member
      • UNF message board
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:15:37 AM »
Use the zoom function to keep your head centred or head back/forward one of those.

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 08:24:28 AM »
I've used a track IR for about 3 years now, and absolutely would hate flying without it. It's true, the Immersion factor is extraordinary and makes the game a lot more realistic and exciting.
You'll want to spend a good 2-3 hours with the configuration setup to get a setup that suits how you play and move your head. It's a very personalized device. A couple tips though....

Setup a custom setting and start it out medium aggressive in the movement, and slowly creep it up so that turning your head just a little, gets you a lot. But not so much that you can't accurately follow a contact. A good way to test this out is to set it up, and go into the training arena and just follow the other players in the area to make sure you can track them. Look for "stutters", if your tracking a contact and the screen freezes just momentarily, then it's possible that the LED's are being blocked by a headset cable, possibly the mic boom, or your little receiver mounted on your monitor needs adjusting.

Secondly, leave your HAT switch views engaged. As mentioned the HAT switch views are MUCH quicker, and I use them primarily for the forward view, and for the rear view. If I'm following a contact, and about to fire, I'll press forward on the HAT switch to override the TrackIR and it keeps my reticle centered on the target while I fire. That way it can't drift if my head isn't steady. I used this a lot in the beginning, but rarely use it now because my head is much more steady, I'm used to the TrackIR, and know where my center position is at. The other time I use the HAT for views is the rear view. I pull back on the HAT switch, i'll be looking at my seat, and I can pan my head left/right to look behind the seat at contacts coming up behind me. It's super quick and easy to do. I also have a button on my joystick that "Centers" the forward view. That way if I shift, or get out of whack I just quickly center my view and I'm back in business. It's also good for shooting, I'll center the view right before I fire as I'm coming up on a contact.

Third, It's awesome that you can have 6 Degrees of Freedom to look around your cockpit and out into the world. However, I've found that having the head "tilt" engaged made me quite disoriented. So I disabled it and never looked back. There's not any really great reason to need it, and it just made things more awkward in the beginning. Being able to shift up/down, left/right, in/out is plenty of movement to see everything you need, so the tilt isn't necessary.

Again, it's great fun once you've set it up, and configured it for your personal style and movement. Get in the training arena and just fly around. Have some fun with it looking out the windows and tracking bad guys. It took 3-4 weeks to completely get used to, so put in the time and expect to be worse than you were. It's just like adjusting to a new joystick, or rudder pedals. But it's worth the time in my opinion.

Hope this helps and if you have questions, feel free to ask.
Rolling Thunder

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »
I tried it. I liked the concept, but I found it fatiguing to use. My brother loves it.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:52:42 AM »
Escargot and Chapel summed it up for me.  Recentering I just hit f12.  It's reflex now.  Funny thing is I recently started playing Brothers In Arms on the Xbox and it took me a while to get used to not having the ability to just look around.  Got me capped about a dozen times
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:53:10 AM »
I bought my trackIR about 3 months ago.

First impression was , " im never going to get used to this"
second : "gunsight is not where it should be when I turn my head forward again"

After doing quite a few attempts figuring out how to tweak the off center gunsight in the software, I finally got it right.

Also if you have a marginal computer setup you might experience a frame rate reduction.

Now a happy TrackIR camper

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:05:03 AM »
the hardest part is getting it tweaked to where it works good for you, the second hardest part is getting used to it.  When i first got it I could only play for about 10-15 minutes without getting dizzy.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »
I had to stop drinking until I got used to it, now I can do both  :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario