Author Topic: Damage model question  (Read 446 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Damage model question
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
Is all engine oil damage that same?  That is, is there just one level of severity, or does the speed at which your engine loses oil depend on factors like, for example, number of and caliber of rounds that did the damage, how fast and hard you are running the engine, etc.?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Damage model question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
It looks to me like all types of leak fall into 2 categories (possibly there are more)  'Fast' and 'Slow'.  If it does enough damage for a slow leak, you get a slow leak.  If it does enough more to get a fast leak you get a fast leak.  It's how it seems to me anyways.

In the times I've had enough time to think about it on the way back to base, I haven't noticed a difference whether you're babying the engine, or going all out.  I generally WEP climb if I spring a leak to get as much glide time as possible when the engine goes.

Type of plane makes a huge difference as well.  In the P47 for example getting oiled is barely cause for concern.  I find I generally have time to fly home under power unless I am more than a couple or three sectors from a friendly base.  A 109 gets oiled, it dies in a minute or two it feels like.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: Damage model question
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:49:22 PM »
It looks to me like all types of leak fall into 2 categories (possibly there are more)  'Fast' and 'Slow'.  If it does enough damage for a slow leak, you get a slow leak.  If it does enough more to get a fast leak you get a fast leak.  It's how it seems to me anyways.

In the times I've had enough time to think about it on the way back to base, I haven't noticed a difference whether you're babying the engine, or going all out.  I generally WEP climb if I spring a leak to get as much glide time as possible when the engine goes.

Type of plane makes a huge difference as well.  In the P47 for example getting oiled is barely cause for concern.  I find I generally have time to fly home under power unless I am more than a couple or three sectors from a friendly base.  A 109 gets oiled, it dies in a minute or two it feels like.

Wiley.

i concur, seems to be 2 different leaks.. fast and slow..

however, there is a way to extend your range as much as possible.. shut off the engine! (seems fake, but does work in game.. the oil doesn't leak while engine is off)

I will climb on wep, until it looks like i have about a minute of oil left, or enough alt to make the field. shut off the engine, pull back the prop rpm, and glide.. start engine back up on final if necessary for adjusting approach, etc...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:51:33 PM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.