Author Topic: Learning the 109G14  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
Re: Learning the 109G14
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 02:09:40 AM »
I agree, with gondolas on, the 109 loses a lot of its competative edge - if you really need the firepower for whatever reason, then fly a plane that is better suited in that sense.  the 109 in almost every case should be light and agile.

then again, it seems that many posters think the G14 has something to offer over the K4 so. . . I will just b quiet now.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 02:22:34 AM »
I dont take the gondos ever, unless I know that im only fighting buffs, I find the tater easy to aim (thank you grizz) so if im going against fighters I dont need anything more then the mk-108, and thanks again TnDep for giving me some 109 lessons tonight
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 03:39:10 AM »
the g14 flies like a stuffed pig with gondies on, If you want to knife fight I recommend leaving them at home.

thats why I said

I sometimes take the gondolas out when I want to fight fighters...but make sure you come in with a bit of alt and BnZ them

and not when knife fighting..etc etc

then again, it seems that many posters think the G14 has something to offer over the K4 so. . . I will just b quiet now.

It does offer something over the K4
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:44:22 AM by jdbecks »
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 01:23:39 PM »
If I may ask, what is the key difference between the K4 and G14?
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
They are similar, but the K-4 simply possesses the most power. This relates to the top end speed, climb and torque of the engine. You're looking at ~20mph difference at sea level. G-14 turns tighter and has more gun package options. Also, I'm in agreement with what others have stated about the nose up stall difference.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:39:24 PM by Qrsu »
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline L0nGb0w

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
I fly the g14 over the k4 because to me, it seems like I can dump my E quickly and get down and dirty for a 1v1 when I need to faster than I can with the k4.  That being said, in a large scale battle I prefer the k4 for its ability to accelerate and climb me out of danger.
~Kommando Nowotny~
ZLA - Don't Focke Wulf Us

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 04:54:05 PM »
I think the biggest advantage of flying the G14 over the k4 is in taking the 20mm gun package. You're allowed to fly in more of a normal pursuit manner than the k4 where your goal is to setup crossing snapshots.
-AoM-

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 03:19:29 AM »
I just tried the K4 in the DA and the MA, and the only way I could get hits with the Tater was to get in 200 or less and let fly.  How do you get the 30mm into a crossing shot?  It seems quite a challenge given its accuracy.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 03:47:14 AM »
get in 200 or less and let fly

As far as a starting learning point, you answered your own question.  ;)
-AoM-

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 11:22:32 AM »
i dont know if he has been doing it lately, but Agent360 was going to furball lake in the DA almost every night. he has never, that i am aware of, declined to teach anyone who really showed an interest in learning the K4 how to understand the particular characteristics of the Beast. in addition he has created multiple training films on the 30mm tater chucker and practical theory on how to set up the crossing shot.

after Agent, i would say either Grizz or Scotch (when he returns) would be the next best in teaching the mechanics of flying the ugly iron. I rank them next after Agent and equal to each other not as a measure of skill level, for i personally think them all equal but different, but in their level of training patience and free time they are willing to surrender to train someone.

as to the benefits of the G14, well yes us noobs who cant shoot straight do benefit from the use of the gondies and all that lovely ammo. but as Agent once told me, if your willing to settle on spray and pray then take the large load out rides, but if you want to force yourself to improve your targeting skill then take the K4. you dont have enough cannon to rely on luck, you will have to learn to make your shots count or go home empty and without kills. those were not his exact words, but that was the point he was trying to drill into my head.

good luck with your endeavors
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »
The K4 just seems more stable to me than the G14 does at very slow speeds.  Maybe it's just because I have a better feel for its edge, I don't know.  I know when I fly the G14 it seems to depart more suddenly and violently.  I also like the extra speed the K4 has, it's fun to run down people who decided they need to get away from you.  Also, I like the tater, in fact, I love the tater.  It is such a nice feeling to watch a plane fall to pieces after a snapshot. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 01:18:03 PM »
i dont know if he has been doing it lately, but Agent360 was going to furball lake in the DA almost every night. he has never, that i am aware of, declined to teach anyone who really showed an interest in learning the K4 how to understand the particular characteristics of the Beast. in addition he has created multiple training films on the 30mm tater chucker and practical theory on how to set up the crossing shot.

good luck with your endeavors

Do you know where I might find those films? :)

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »
well, an update for everyone, from when I first got in a 109, I have gotten many times better in it, tater is my wepon of choice in it, and I can now usually make deflection/snapshots, and other wierd angle shots from 400 out, iv gotten extra lucky and landed 1 or 2 from 600+ out, TnDep gave me a lesson on actually flying it to get that shot, and grizz gave me some tips on how to use stalls to my advantage, so I deel that I am getting better in it 1 day at a time, thanks for all your help guys <S>
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 02:21:09 PM »
The K4 just seems more stable to me than the G14 does at very slow speeds.  Maybe it's just because I have a better feel for its edge, I don't know.  I know when I fly the G14 it seems to depart more suddenly and violently.  I also like the extra speed the K4 has, it's fun to run down people who decided they need to get away from you.  Also, I like the tater, in fact, I love the tater.  It is such a nice feeling to watch a plane fall to pieces after a snapshot. 

The k4 is more stable than the g14, even if the g14 does turn tighter etc, I find the instability negates those advantages. The other thing that bothers me about the g14 is the two big balls (cowls) sitting in your face. I'll never get used to that.  :)
-AoM-