Author Topic: Motherboard and CPU recomendations  (Read 3945 times)

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
Re: Motherboard and CPU recomendations
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 01:49:46 PM »
:bhead

how is my post incorrect or biased?
lets see, you might as well tell SPEC scientists and engineers their peer-reviewed benchmark is useless.

and look who are the members of SPEC:

SPEC was founded in 1988.[2] Its members include Apple Inc., Dell, IBM, Intel Corporation, Microsoft, and Sun Microsystems.[3] SPEC benchmarks are widely used to evaluate the performance of computer systems; the test results are published on the SPEC website. Results are sometimes informally referred to as "SPECmarks" or just "SPEC".

The benchmarks aim to test "real-life" situations. There are several benchmarks testing Java scenarios, from simple computation (SPECjbb) to a full system with Java EE, database, disk, and network (SPECjEnterprise). The SPECweb benchmarks test web server performance by performing various types of parallel HTTP requests.

The SPEC CPU suites test CPU performance by measuring the run time of several programs such as the compiler gcc, the chemistry program gamess, and the weather program WRF. The various tasks are equally weighted; no attempt is made to weight them based on their perceived importance. An overall score is based on a geometric mean.

i know you prefer bentmarks at anadtech or tomsHW, but look who sells/finances those kinds of marketing software; that is running code not nearly representative of actual desktop workloads!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
I am an AMD fanboi, have been ever since I had my Cyrix P166+ based computer stolen and replaced it with an Intel 200? or 233 Pro.....

with that said, Intel users have the advantage of AH using 2 cores verses AMD users are relegated to only having 1 core of a dual(or quad etc core) processor, used in AH.....

even though my dual core AMD has never had any problems at all, nor any conflicts and runs AH with top settings.it is still only relegated to using just 1 core

to where if I had an Intel dual/quad core... I could get the use of 2 cores of the processor.....

also Intel seems to run cooler, but I think that is all in the make up of who built the pc/what tower & cooling method is used/etc..... some AMD topend processors pull lots more power, but one can keep them running cool if they do their home work...

YMMV......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 01:57:05 PM »
Intel users have the advantage of AH using 2 cores verses AMD users are relegated to only having 1 core of a dual(or quad etc core) processor, used in AH.

wrong. i game on an AMD dual core and it is running threads on BOTH cores.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »

ok, thanks, I'll go with what Skuzzy tells me though

cheers
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 02:16:54 PM »

The native part of the game is not running on two cores.  There are elements in DirectX itself which are multi-threaded and will run on more than one core, but the game will not.  It is a fix supplied by AMD to work around a design issue within the CPU's.  A slight difference in the way they do it versus Intel.

We had a ton of problems with AMD CPU's, until AMD supplied a fix.  I was ready to write off AMD altogether.

As far as Intel and problems with chips goes.  Intel learned with the 80286 it was far easier to be proactive about problems with chips, than to try and hide it.  Did you also read how Intel already has a fix for the "Sandy Bridge" motherboard chipsets and will work to replace the defective units?  

Remember the "Granite Bay" chipset?  Intel fubared the 8x AGP bus up.  People thought it was an ATI issue, but Intel had the information posted on thier WEB page long before ATI released the 8x AGP cards.

If you are trying to say AMD never makes a mistake, then you are really reaching for straws.  You do not want to go down that path with me.

Again, I do not care.  I have to support whatever a person buys, but when asked, I will recommend Intel as I know for a fact (I have data to support this and it is overwhelming) Intel CPU's (with Intel motherboard chipsets) simply have fewer issues running the game.  Your agenda is to promote AMD, from what I can discern.  My agenda is to reduce the support issues with the game.  How many times do I have to say that?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:24:51 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »
The native part of the game is not running on two cores.  There are elements in DirectX itself which are multi-threaded and will run on more than one core, but the game will not.  It is a fix supplied by AMD to work around a design issue within the CPU's.  A slight difference in the way they do it versus Intel.

does this "native part of the game" run on more than one core on intel systems?
what is the name of the thread for that "native part?"
does the patch provided by AMD allow for that native part of the game to run on more than one core?

We had a ton of problems with AMD CPU's, until AMD supplied a fix.  I was ready to write off AMD altogether.
keyword: fixed, and i assume those issues were with the original athlon dual cores, not the later phenom ii X2 dual cores.

As far as Intel and problems with chips goes.  Intel learned with the 80286 it was far easier to be proactive about problems with chips, than to try and hide it.  Did you also read how Intel already has a fix for the "Sandy Bridge" motherboard chipsets and will work to replace the defective units?  

it will cost intel $1BILLION to fix this issue. this includes systems already sold at retail stores/online.
and humor me, there is a little funny thing going on with intel cooking its books to maintain its expensive process migration.

Remember the "Granite Bay" chipset?  Intel fubared the 8x AGP bus up.  People thought it was an ATI issue, but Intel had the information posted on thier WEB page long before ATI released the 8x AGP cards.

If you are trying to say AMD never makes a mistake, then you are really reaching for straws.  You do not want to go down that path with me.
you will not find any statement from me whatsoever, from beginning of my membership here that "AMD doesn't make mistakes."
why would i?  :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Again, I do not care.  I have to support whatever a person buys, but when asked, I will recommend Intel as I know for a fact (I have data to support this and it is overwhelming) Intel CPU's (with Intel motherboard chipsets) simply have fewer issues running the game.  Your agenda is to promote AMD, from what I can discern.  My agenda is to reduce the support issues with the game.  How many times do I have to say that?
yes, your agenda is to reduce support at the prejudice of one product.
have you built yourself a recent AMD system?
have you gamed recently on an AMD cpu and AMD video card?
how can you provide unbiased tech support when all you have personally used lately is an E8400?

btw, my agenda is to provide accurate information when it comes to AMD.
i cant stand this "AMD is slower" statement when on unbiased workloads/benchmarks that are
PEER/ACADEMICALLY REVIEWED, AMD wipes the floor with intel CPU hardware.

i think the only thing we agree on is intel GPU's suck worse than cow dung?  :lol :aok :D

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
ok, thanks, I'll go with what Skuzzy tells me though

cheers

along with AMD runs hotter?
-175 degrees celsius. colder than the dark face of the moon.

:aok :cool: :cool:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:45:52 PM by skribetm »

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
along with AMD runs hotter?
-175 degrees Celsius. colder than the dark face of the moon.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

:aok :cool: :cool:

you fixing to bark up the wrong side of the tree with your below -174 Celsius statement

I can liquid cool one with refrigerant myself if I wanted too......
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:43:37 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
I can liquid cool one with refrigerant myself if I wanted too......

sure go ahead. talk is cheap.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »
sure go ahead. talk is cheap.

yep it is... and your talk is not worth my time

have a good day
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:42:47 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
so step off ........ so I don't have to mark ignore you, you might have something of valueto say in the future

sorry i got you worked up.  but i dont know/understand why?  :(
i also didnt ask for credentials, im sure youre smart and above-average, or 99 percentile on the tax bracket..
but i only asked for a sub-zero overclock... w/c shouldnt be much trouble....?
(see sig, although i am disinterested in it anymore.)
nothing ruins passion worse than adult "overclockers" cheating for cheap wins.
yes, theyre the "world famous people" at xtremesystems.org. more coverage here.

thats where intel also seeds ES processors in exchange for running canned benchmarks.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »
I under stand your passion, skribetm

I felt as though you called me out with the quoting me then showing the sub zero pics

then telling me to go ahead talk is cheap

it felt like one of those e- p measuring things starting to happen and I just rather went and backed off to be friendly......

I have nothing to prove to anyone, I am happy knowing what I know and you should be to, Sir

as a matter of fact, I have seen your links in your sig something like 1 to 2 years ago, and I am familiar with the sites and the competition

just gonna sit back and read the boards

:cheers:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
does this "native part of the game" run on more than one core on intel systems?
what is the name of the thread for that "native part?"
does the patch provided by AMD allow for that native part of the game to run on more than one core?
keyword: fixed, and i assume those issues were with the original athlon dual cores, not the later phenom ii X2 dual cores.

Yes, the native part of the game runs on both cores of an Intel multi-core system.
I do not know the name of the thread.
The fix AMD provided allows us to see the issue and not run the thread.  The mix of CPU;s the covers is broad.  At first, we all thought it was limited to a family of parts.  This turned out to be a false assumption.

<snip>yes, your agenda is to reduce support at the prejudice of one product.

No prejudice at all.  I have the numbers in front of me.  AMD based systems are the smallest portion of computers running the game today and the largest portion of support issues.  (Windows 7 64 bit not withstanding).

That is just a fact.

have you built yourself a recent AMD system?

You really do not want to hear this.  I did.  I have one at home in a corner collecting dust.  Under a load it keeps dropping data from the audio streams of single channel audio.

have you gamed recently on an AMD cpu and AMD video card?

I use ATI cards in all my personal computers.  Good products.  I do not game at home.  I make extensive use of video/audio editing on my home computer.  I also do CAD design for my CNC mill.

how can you provide unbiased tech support when all you have personally used lately is an E8400?

Uh, what I use has nothing to do with what I support.  When someone calls with a problem with thier computer, I work with them to get it resolved.  I could care less what they have in the box.  They have a problem, then I have a problem.

btw, my agenda is to provide accurate information when it comes to AMD.

Good for you.  When asked, "What CPU do you recommend for Aces High?"  I give the most accurate reponse I can, based on the data at my disposal.  Today, that answer is Intel.  There was a time when AMD was the choice. Remember the Intel Prescott family?

i cant stand this "AMD is slower" statement when on unbiased workloads/benchmarks that are
PEER/ACADEMICALLY REVIEWED, AMD wipes the floor with intel CPU hardware.

The only time I have said AMD was slower was in video editing and rendering than an Intel CPU.  That is still true today.  It is not my opinion.  Ask any professional videographer.  Do not take my word for it.  The professional forums I hang around with echo the same things.  AMD is just slow at the streaming instruction set, as compared to Intel.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
I under stand your passion, skribetm
 :cheers:

thank you, TC. i do not mean to offend ANYONE here, just to be clear.
i am just advocating for a product and everyone is free to counterpoint.

if not for AMD, intel would still be using aluminum interconnects (instead of copper);
or selling Pentium 4's for $1,000.00; or with a latency-bound FSB (instead of QPI and an IMC);
i could go on but you get the idea.

AMD's innovativeness brings forth better products from intel.
AMD will be introducing FMA4, XOP, a flex-FPU and many more new tech in the area of fusion.
These tech will probably only start showing up in intel processors by 2013 at the earliest.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
Yes, the native part of the game runs on both cores of an Intel multi-core system.
I do not know the name of the thread.
The fix AMD provided allows us to see the issue and not run the thread.  The mix of CPU;s the covers is broad.  At first, we all thought it was limited to a family of parts.  This turned out to be a false assumption.
need more information.
"the mix of cpu's is broad" is too vague. need model numbers tested.
i will try getting AMD support on this issue. directly.
if the fix AMD gave you was to not run the thread at all then it is not a fix.
what is the performance hit from not running that thread?
need data points, comparisons, time runs in milliseconds;

how much faster in seconds, minutes, will AH2 run faster
on intel because this thread runs on intel; not AMD?

You really do not want to hear this.  I did.  I have one at home in a corner collecting dust. 
it will do you well to learn it inside and out.
the BIOS settings, the install procedures, its specifications.
what model is it? i <3 pics how much dust is in it.  :D
thats probably waaaaaaay old cpu. released together w/ what intel counterpart?

I use ATI cards in all my personal computers.  Good products.  I do not game at home.  I make extensive use of video/audio editing on my home computer.  I also do CAD design for my CNC mill.
nvidia is better at professional graphics. QUADRO. CUDA. SUPPORT.
gaming wise, ati rocks price/performance/power.

The only time I have said AMD was slower was in video editing and rendering than an Intel CPU.  That is still true today.  It is not my opinion.  Ask any professional videographer.  Do not take my word for it.  The professional forums I hang around with echo the same things.  AMD is just slow at the streaming instruction set, as compared to Intel.
video editing and rendering. those i can agree with because most of those software are tuned for intel and compiled with ICC.
under linux w/ blender and compiled with GCC, AMD performs better at rendering. see the performance discrepancy here at anadtech.

early part of the thread:
Like it or not folks, Intel does work better than AMD, for many things.

video editing + rendering != "many things" ; although for yourself it is probably true.  :D :D :D

thank you skuzzy.