Author Topic: Motherboard and CPU recomendations  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Motherboard and CPU recomendations
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:11:06 PM by Skuzzy »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BulzEye

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2011, 04:59:58 PM »
Group HUG!!!   :cheers:  Now about the best Video card for my dollar?  LOL

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »
need more information.
"the mix of cpu's is broad" is too vague. need model numbers tested.
i will try getting AMD support on this issue. directly.
if the fix AMD gave you was to not run the thread at all then it is not a fix.
what is the performance hit from not running that thread?
need data points, comparisons, time runs in milliseconds;

I cannot answer many of those questions due to NDA with AMD.  AMD is the one who told us it was not limited to a family of product.  That is all I can give you.

how much faster in seconds, minutes, will AH2 run faster
on intel because this thread runs on intel; not AMD?

It is not so much performance as it is smoothness.  I cannot get into the details as it fringes on our IP.

it will do you well to learn it inside and out.
the BIOS settings, the install procedures, its specifications.
what model is it? i <3 pics how much dust is in it.  :D
thats probably waaaaaaay old cpu. released together w/ what intel counterpart?

It is a Phenom II.  I am very familiar with the BIOS settings and computer configuration.  In this instance it is losing interrupts, which is causing data to be lost in the audio stream.  The manufacturer is aware of the problem and it was supposed to be fixed.

nvidia is better at professional graphics. QUADRO. CUDA. SUPPORT.
gaming wise, ati rocks price/performance/power.

And that is why I use ATI. Power.  Due to the other things I do, I prefer the video quality of ATI over NVidia.

video editing and rendering. those i can agree with because most of those software are tuned for intel and compiled with ICC.
under linux w/ blender and compiled with GCC, AMD performs better at rendering. see the performance discrepancy here at anadtech.

early part of the thread:
video editing + rendering != "many things" ; although for yourself it is probably true.  :D :D :D

thank you skuzzy.

The GCC compiler has only just recently started generating any streaming instructions at all.  Yes, you remove the streaming instruction set from the equation and AMD will win.  AMD's support for the streaming instructions is poor, at best and they know it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »
Skuzzy, I'm just glad you're taking it easy on him.   I can only imagine in between babysitting this BBS (I'm to blame at times and know this) and trying your damndest to troubleshoot over the phone, most would put the gun to their head.   

:cheers:
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 05:18:39 PM »
I cannot answer many of those questions due to NDA with AMD.  AMD is the one who told us it was not limited to a family of product.  That is all I can give you.

It is not so much performance as it is smoothness.  I cannot get into the details as it fringes on our IP.

well that doesnt help any, doesnt it? besides, a statement saying how much faster in
seconds the app performs on one platform compared to another does not infringe on IP.
if it was otherwise, then these tech websites/benchmarketers have infringed on the IP of a lot of games..

The GCC compiler has only just recently started generating any streaming instructions at all.  Yes, you remove the streaming instruction set from the equation and AMD will win.  AMD's support for the streaming instructions is poor, at best and they know it.

it is more likely that the windows build/compile generates code path with SSE3/SSE4 enabled if intel, and an SSE2 code path only if VIA/AMD.
hence the performance discrepancy. GCC support for SSE has been standard, in fact newer instruction sets find their way
into the GCC trunk earlier than in other compilers.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2011, 05:19:34 PM »
Skuzzy, I'm just glad you're taking it easy on him.   I can only imagine in between babysitting this BBS (I'm to blame at times and know this) and trying your damndest to troubleshoot over the phone, most would put the gun to their head.   

:cheers:

skuzzy is doing fine and well.
last he needs is another ankle humper.
 :lol :aok :aok

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »
If I may bring this thread back on topic (temporarily I'm sure), it seems the problem with the Intel "Series 6" motherboard chipsets is legit (affecting the 3GB (but not 6GB) Intel-chipset sata connections on all H67 and P67 motherboards on the market), and I would avoid buying a "Sandy Bridge" Intel CPU & motherboard until fixed motherboards are available (which will be a few weeks).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

To go back off-topic, I haven't been an early adopter of much of anything of significance since my Voodoo 5, but apparently I forget lessons once learned if its been over 10 years or so.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:21:44 PM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 11:06:47 PM »
well that doesnt help any, doesnt it? besides, a statement saying how much faster in
seconds the app performs on one platform compared to another does not infringe on IP.
if it was otherwise, then these tech websites/benchmarketers have infringed on the IP of a lot of games..

it is more likely that the windows build/compile generates code path with SSE3/SSE4 enabled if intel, and an SSE2 code path only if VIA/AMD.
hence the performance discrepancy. GCC support for SSE has been standard, in fact newer instruction sets find their way

give it up sir.  you are going in circles.  you are beginning to sound like my kids asking, why, why.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
give it up sir.  you are going in circles.  you are beginning to sound like my kids asking, why, why.

semp

sorry, i dont just take someones word without evidence.
i respect inquiring men more than blind sheeple.
i belong to the former. no self repecting, reasoning- human being would like to be in the latter.

all this "issues with AMD", "AMD is slower in AH" so far has been brought up many times in this forum.
and each time it is brought up, no concrete evidence other than hearsay and unverified "facts" have been handed out.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 11:07:24 AM »
i belong to the former. no self repecting, reasoning- human being would like to be in the latter.

all this "issues with AMD", "AMD is slower in AH" so far has been brought up many times in this forum.
and each time it is brought up, no concrete evidence other than hearsay and unverified "facts" have been handed out.

you are beating a dead horse.  he already said he can't answer your question due to a nda.  and frankly it's getting annoying that you don't get the point that it's useless to argue because you could have all the evidence and you would still demand more data.   you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »
you are beating a dead horse.  he already said he can't answer your question due to a nda.  and frankly it's getting annoying that you don't get the point that it's useless to argue because you could have all the evidence and you would still demand more data.   you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

semp

He's on a religious anti-Intel crusade.  It got tiring to read a while ago.  IMO if he has nothing more to contribute than the same old anti-Intel canned phrases, he shouldn't post at all.  Certainly shouldn't be repeating what he already said three times in every thread remotely related to the topic at hand.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 05:22:08 PM »

Ya know, you are getting kind of boring.

The guy said most of his problems come from AMD users and you insist that you be provided "concrete evidence" of that fact. Sometimes anecdotal experiences are valid. The fact that they cant be explained to your satisfaction is immaterial.

shamus       
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »
Group HUG!!!   :cheers:  Now about the best Video card for my dollar?  LOL

The 460 and 6850 run performance wise very close to each other I have read. Though I do not have either card I am sure either would work fine to run the game.
These are midrange cards.(about 150.00 to 210.00)
There are the higher end cards up from these two cards mentioned.
nvidia has the cuda and the physx.
ati has the multi screen support.
Do some research and consider what your going to use your PC for and how long before you want to rebuld or upgrade and how much you want to spend.
You will also need a good power supply to power your system and the graphics card you buy.

I am not recommending you buy either the 460 or 6850, just suggesting a starting point.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600083901%20600083830%204017&IsNodeId=1&name=%24100%20-%20%24200
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2011, 08:34:28 AM »
you are beating a dead horse.  he already said he can't answer your question due to a nda.  ... you are arguing for the sake of arguing.
semp

5-year old NDA's? the dual core optimizer has been released five years ago and is already obsolete.
NDA's for the most part are for unreleased products. how this relates to this particular issue i have no clue.

Ya know, you are getting kind of boring.

He's on a religious anti-Intel crusade.  It got tiring to read a while ago.  IMO if he has nothing more to contribute than the same old anti-Intel canned phrases, he shouldn't post at all.  Certainly shouldn't be repeating what he already said three times in every thread remotely related to the topic at hand.

:headscratch: :rofl :rofl
right, because personal attacks are a better contribution to this thread rather than posting technical info.
getting no concrete evidence regarding this issue, i wouldnt be surprised if this same argument come up again two years (or earlier) from now.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »

This is my last post on the subject.  After that you can do what you want.

1)  I have never said Aces High runs faster on Intel.  I have repeatedly stated, the game will run "better" on an Intel based system, than and AMD based system.  "better" as in potentially less problematic than AMD.  I am not going to provide the breakdown of how many systems are running Intel versus AMD, and what the exact percentage is of problems.  AMD would not appreciate that.

2)  AMD provided a source code fix, along with an NDA.  We will not violate that agreement.  Our relationship with AMD is worth far more than our relationship with you is.

GCC has always been very far behind the curve in supporting new instructions.  I have been dealing with it for over 25 years and that has always been the major complaint about them.  They are very conservative in updating the compiler and assembler.  It is not unusual for them to add a new processor flag, but not add any new instruction support.  Sometimes the processor flag is to stop the compiler/assembler from generating an instruction that has been deprecated, not to add anything new.

The Microsoft compiler does not do dynamic compiling.  The compiler generates exactly what you tell it to.  Visual Studio is not based on the Intel compiler.  Microsoft updates their compilers, but you have to buy the latest version to get those updates.

Finally, I will state, for the last time, my only concern is to reduce my support efforts.  I have not stated anything based solely on my opinion.  I do not have to do that as I have access to all the data I need to support my suggestions.  If I do not have that data, then I do not make any suggestion at all.  If you think I lack the expertise/talent to make a proper suggestion as to what could lower your potential issues with the game, there is not much I can do about it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com