Author Topic: Xmas Upgrade Suggestions  (Read 447 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Xmas Upgrade Suggestions
« on: September 26, 2000, 11:44:00 AM »
With Christmas just around the corner and Santa (not StSanta )promising me an upgrade, I'd like to see what the "ideal" system for AH would be if you could build it from scratch. Intel vs AMD, GE2 vs Voodoo,etc.

Current system:
P3 500 CPU on Abit board
20gig ATA 66 HD
Voodoo 5500
19" Trinitron monitor
128 PC100 ram
X36 Saitek HOTAS / CH Pro Peds (all USB)
Road Runner Cable Modem
Running 1024 x  768 at 32 bit

Would I get a bigger bang for the buck upgrading ram, CPU, etc...

Or list the components in your dream system..

Or would upgrading the above system not show any significant improvement in AH.

thanks in advance

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Xmas Upgrade Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2000, 01:59:00 PM »
Friend bought a PIII 700 and over-clocked it to 933...
100mhz bus to 133mhz.
There might be differences between different factorys and cpu types thought...

Gonna buy one of those good ones for myself  

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Xmas Upgrade Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2000, 08:26:00 PM »
If you have a board that can accept the newer PIIIs, ( called Coppermines ) I'd probably go with one of those. If your MB can't take coppermines the fastest Katami available was the 600.  If you are using Windows 98, 95, ME adding more RAM won't make a bit of difference for AH.  (Complicated but it boils down to Win9x being unable to effectively use more than 128 MB of Ram.)  Your video card is top notch and will benefit from a faster processor tremendiously.

Since you have PC 100 ram you will want to be sure that you get a 100 MHz version of the Coppermine.  You will also likely need the slot1 version of the PIII.  (They DO make a converter board for Socket 370 to slot 1 though, so this isn't too critical.)  The fastest 100 Mhz version that I'm aware of is the 850 Mhz.  I think that it is only available in socket 370 though.

First of all, what model of Abit board do you have?  You will probably need to upgrade the bios to accept a faster processor.  Before I say anything else we better find this out so I don't lead you astray.

(You asked, so I'll tell you the hard facts.  The AMD Athlon will EASILY outperform the PIII in AH.  The Athlon is MUCH more powerful than the PIII for floating point calculations, which is what AH makes heavy use of.  If you do decide to go with an Athlon though you will need a new MB and likely a modem.  Since you will be changing MBs it is HIGHLY recommended you reformat your hard drive and do a clean install of your OS.  This basically means that you will lose everything unless you burn it to CD or put it on a zip disk etc.)

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Xmas Upgrade Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2000, 08:39:00 AM »
Bloom
thanks for the response. I have an Abit BE6 board. I followed your suggestion and upgraded the BIOS. Also found a newer driver for the ATA 66 controller. And upgraded the Voodoo 5500 driver per another thread. Looking at CPU options now.
thanks again
Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals