Author Topic: P-47 Help?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Jed

• Copper Member
P-47 Help?
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »
HI..   I am looking for tips/ training on the p-47. I find if I am not well above I make for an easy target. I figure someone out there has some ideas to try and level the playing field.

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Re: P-47 Help?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
I'm not a big P-47 afficianado but I've flown the M and N a fair bit, and will take up the D-40 when I need to drop stuff and move mud.

I find that the Jug performs much like it is supposed to have historically, ie. its big and heavy, and I usually follow the historical advice. That is start with an alt advantage if at all possible. The climb rate for most of the Jug models is pretty, well I won't say abysmal but you won't be going "wow" much :). The M in particular can hold onto E fairly well by zooming back up, particularly if you are gentle on the stick and don't pull lots of G continuously. N isn't bad either but you want to watch loading it with fuel, it holds a LOT. Try not to turn a lot if you can help it though I've seen guys like LilMak bend one around in ways that are really remarkable.

The problem is that eventually you will get to the deck and then your options get limited. Best to kill them quickly, 8 50s help there. If you haven't killed them by about 8-10k you might want to think about exit strategies. Given time to build a head of steam the Jug is hard to catch. But you don't want to try and outrun folks when you are on the deck, all that weight takes a while to accelerate.

Above 20k, the Jug performs very well, but unfortunately not a lot of fights at that alt in the MA.

I hope that helps!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:20:21 PM »
You want to see some great turn fighting and shooting in the P47, check out these films from Lepape2.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:49 PM »
I've found that keeping an alt of 5k as your hard deck...below that you have to exit...is a good strategy.  Wrestling the Jug around can be a challenge but the firepower is outstanding.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Jed

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »
Thanks...  I guess I am getting reassured of what I am learning the hard way.  If I don't hit someone on the 1st few passes it's time to exit and that trying to out fly someone especially at my skill level doesn't work.  Any other thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks Again!

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:09:53 AM »
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to....er, wrong place, wrong night.

Stay fast or stay high.  Set convergence to where your comfortable, generally 300 to 400, don't be afraid to hold the trigger.  Treat her like the fat pig she is.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to....er, wrong place, wrong night.

Stay fast or stay high.  Set convergence to where your comfortable, generally 300 to 400, don't be afraid to hold the trigger.  Treat her like the fat pig she is.

Exactly. Constructive criticism, encouragement and a healthy diet of lean, tasty zekes, spitty's, and protein-filled FW's will help.  Occasionally snack on a few buffs, because if you can't cheat on a diet then what's the point?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »
I have found the P47M to be the most forgiving of the Jugs.  It has the best climb rate of the group, just over 3k a minute with WEP.  It has a good top speed and has a great zoom climb.  
Depending on the mission I am working I will vary the load out.  With the 47M I take the light eight gun set exclusively.  This provides me with a lighter platform.  Even with the light load I still have 1068 per bank to play around with.  That is a heck of a lot of lead to throw down range.  I also have this same load in the P47-D11.  

One thing to remember, the Jugs are great in a rolling scissors type fight.  They have good flaps and a great rudder.  Truth be told it will out roll a Spit and durned near out roll a FW.  If you can get someone to follow you into a rolling scissors, the chances are you will win that fight.  

Keep your Jug fast, it takes forever to get up to speed but once it is there it does pretty well for itself.  In WWII Jug pilots would use a BnZ type slashing attack.  The jug is not designed for stick yanking in the weeds type flying (though if you know what you are doing, you can survive this).  With those hard hitting eight .50s BnZ is a good tactic.

What ever plane you do decide on, stick with it, learn it quirks.  Avoid HO passes.  Nine times in Ten I will avoid the other guy while setting myself up for a kill shot in one or two moves.  

http://www.mediafire.com/?kf3aqic5fxn7mqq
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:09:26 PM by Tom5572 »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 04:35:17 PM »
I have flown them all but the "M" is my ride of choice!  I rarely fly anything else in late war any more, for starters, take off a good bit farther out from the fight you want to get into, get your alt, I like to work around 15k but will come into an area at twenty alot simply because I start from a good distance out, I fly it with the full gun pakage, all guns at 350 to 400,     600 If I know i am going to be hunting bombers only,,3/4 bag and a drop, never use your wep on the way to the fight, and use it sparingly till you start lost your edge, I will hit wep as soon as I fire in order to get into my next position then back off with it!  she will turn harder than most anything out there fast and rolling fights are a blast! as soon as you get slow and out of position its time for the wep and an exit strategy until you feel more confident in your ability to fight the big bird! hard deck is very important, 5k is a good choice until they come in on you from 15k, I like 7500 instead but will fight at any alt as long as I think I am safe from other high cons!
 all that said, untill you can make it dance in circles while falling out of the sky, just inside of a spixteen till you kill him or he augers,, BNZ it!!! that is what it does best!
    Remember speed is life!

lately I have been taking it up from capped bases just to feel how she will work in bad situations, and i get shot down a lot but it is just a game and I want to fly the "M" all the time,  one of these days someone will accuse you of cheating while you fly it,, then you will know you are starting to learn it well! :airplane:
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Jed

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »
Thanks, for all the input.  I am going out still getting about one kill for every death, breaking even.   I keep getting rammed on HO.  If I steer away I get shot down.   

Can someone put into words, how to engage in a rolling scissors. Or a video maybe?  I have been searching on it, but haven't found anything great. Thanks   Jed

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »
jed in the film I posted I start a rolling scissors in the second fight, take a look you will see.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »

http://www.mediafire.com/?kf3aqic5fxn7mqq

Very nicely flown Tom.   :aok  And classy (as always) besides...you gave him time to get to alt after he re-upped and never HO'ed.  You're my new hero, lol.  :salute
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
Aww, Shucks Hawk, Thanks  :o :salute
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Jed

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 07:47:06 AM »
  Wow.......................... ............          That was sick..      Thats what I wanna do...   Thanks for the video,   It can be done. Are U using panning mode to track him?  The SA of it all I think is the tough spot, 

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
I personally use the instant view.  Make sure you check the box marked use recorded views when you are viewing the video.
80th FS "Headhunters"