Author Topic: Weasel - spill the beans:)  (Read 322 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Weasel - spill the beans:)
« on: October 24, 2001, 05:24:00 AM »
OK, you've got me interested in this 98Lite thing.

I'm thinking about re-configuring my double boot system (98SE/W2K feeding from 1 HD) into a double boot system with XP as main operating system and 98Lite on a smaller HD as "AH/MSFS only" (there are no XP drivers available for CH gear as yet).

What's the best way to do it? I understand that 98Lite is a program that strips 98 "proper" off all non-essentials. So are there any tips on the actual 98SE install beforehand? And what do I actually need to run AH properly? Apart from video/sound/stick drivers, of course? What's safe to remove etc?

Thank you ofr you help :)

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2001, 06:43:00 AM »
I use the 98Lite Micro install <W95 explorer shell> and remove all the following:

Active Movie
System Information
Windows Bitmap Tiles
Dr. Watson
Task Scheduler
Tune-up Wizard
Cleanup Manager
DirectX 5
Outlook Express
HTML Stationery
Readme Files
Internet Search
IE4
Internet Connection Wizard
Windows HELP files
Web Posting
Media Player
Trouble Shooters
MDAC database Drivers
Connection Manager
VDOlive
Webfolders
Shockwave
Wallet
JAVA
MS MAPI
VRML
RealPlayer      
Tour
MSN
RegWizard
WebTV
Screen Savers
Themes/Wallpaper

Basically I gut it and when Windows finishes installing and reboots I install all my updated hardware device drivers and DirectX, and the critical updates I've saved from the MS Windows update site.

I use Opera 5.1 as my primary browser and have a stand alone version <no Windows desktop integration> of Internet Exploder 5.5 for the websites that aren't Opera friendly and Eudora for email.

Download or copy all the files <drivers,etc> you will need to a directory on a different disk/partition than you will use for 98 and also create a folder <I call mine W98> and copy all the Win98 install files and CABS into it.

Then run the 98Lite executable and follow the  prompts to configure it for the desired install options, when ready reboot into DOS and format the partition you will install to and when completed switch to the W98 folder and run the standard Win98 setup.exe.

Follow the DOS prompts, choose custom install and remove all unwanted files from the set-up routine, you will be amazed how much quicker W98 installs. <I'll guess 50% faster>

IIRC after installing Windows, all device drivers,critical updates and DirectX 8 the complete install used only 78 mb of hard disk space.    :cool:

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: weazel ]

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks alot :)

It sucks when high-end sticks are so slow with drivers :(